somewhereinUSA build

Discussions about all things to do with buses, trucks, and the homes made within them.

Moderator: TMAX

somewhereinusa

Re: Another newbe

Post by somewhereinusa »

I needed a very sturdy (for customers) outside step. This is what I built today. I think this should be strong enough as well as fairly easy to move and store.
Bottom right is nested for storage. Pegs on bottom of top step drop into holes in the bottom. It's treated lumber so if it ever dries out I'll probably coat it with poly.
Not sure what to do about it being slick. I don't think I'll get anything to stick to it for a while. Depending on how high I need just use one or two.
This coming weekend I know that I'll need both.

Dick
somewhereinusa

Post by somewhereinusa »

oops double post
Mark R. Obtinario
Seasoned Nomadicista

Post by Mark R. Obtinario »

That looks really sturdy and easy to climb.

I have two concerns regarding the design.

First, on flat level solid surfaces it should do just fine. If the surface isn't level what have you dreamed up to compensate for when the surface isn't flat and level?

Second, on some smooth surfaces like concrete I could see where it could slide around. It would be particularly problematic if the surface wasn't level or dry. What have you dreamed up to keep it from scooting around as people step on it?

The reason why I ask is I have BTDT with several different steps on motorcoaches that didn't have a kneeling feature.

I finally purchased a step that was OSHA approved that had four little legs with some really sticky rubber feet on the bottom of each leg. It didn't move at all when it was put on the ground. It was made out of aluminum so it was relatively light but heavy enough to not feel like it was more than up to the task at hand. Due in large part to the fact it was OSHA approved it cost about $100.00.
somewhereinusa

Post by somewhereinusa »

Good questions, I have seen the portable, adjustable leg step things. I bought one for my son for Christmas last year. While it is a good idea, I question it's suitability for some of my "husky" customers. As to the moving, I am almost always parked on grass. In my trailer I used a horse mounting step, and it never moved. It did however start to give way under some of the weight involved. If it becomes a problem I can devise some sort of bracket that I can "nail" down into the dirt.
The biggest problem with the horse step is that it is two steps up and can't be changed. It's also not very big. The one I constructed is 22 inches wide, and the steps are a bit deeper than normal and not quite as high.
Mark R. Obtinario
Seasoned Nomadicista

Post by Mark R. Obtinario »

I hear you about things being sturdy enough to support the weight of those of us who are height challenged in relation to our weight.

As someone who weighs more than 300 lbs. I am always careful to examine stuff before I step on or sit down on the stuff.

I have broken ladder rungs, chairs, and deck boards. Fortunately with no long lasting problems to me. Not so much for the ladder, chairs, or deck boards.
somewhereinusa

Post by somewhereinusa »

Second trip. Just got back from my second event. No real problems, this time I even had hot and cold running water and a working toilet.
Here's a picture parked at the event. The MCI belongs to my son Scott. We do photography at stock dog herding events.

Scott and Tami waiting for next class to start. Tami does a great job of sorting pictures and printing contact sheets.

The new screen door works great. This is the first time I've done an event here that we didn't fill up with flies. :D

Next trip is in three weeks, we are both going to the Great Lakes Converted Coaches Rally In Elkhart, IN. So, I've got three weeks to make things more comfortable for Mumsywumsy. :roll: Her idea of roughing it is no room service at the Holiday Inn, Not sure why she has stayed with me all of these years, My idea of torture is staying at the Holiday Inn. :(
ol trunt

Post by ol trunt »

Hey Somewhere, glad the run went well. You mentioned that your new screen door worked well and I recall that you designed your door stay to accomodate the screen but I can't seem to find a pic of the screen door and how it operates. I'm at the point where I'll need to be thinking about building a screen door for my bus and would like to know how you built yours. Thanks, Jack
somewhereinusa

Post by somewhereinusa »

Hey Jack,
I can't take the credit for this one. I bought it from these people. They will even send you a sample to look at.
Installation was pretty straight forward, just make sure you get your measurements right.
http://shop.plissescreen.com/default.asp

My pictures really don't show much.

I looked at a lot of them and this seemed to be the best constructed, a lot of them require their installer. It has already survived the dog trying to jump through it.(my fault) I'm sure she won't do it again. :roll: Down side is the lower channel needs to be kept free of dirt. It also needs a square hole. I'm not sure how you could use it with your neat air door. If you slide it open towards the front like I did, open wouldn't be a problem. But, it would need to be inside of that rear upright. Perhaps, install at an angle?
ol trunt

Post by ol trunt »

Thanks Dick. That sure is a great looking screen. Like you pointed out, I'd have to figure out a way to go around the pole and elbows at the back--your angle idea is food for thought. Jack
somewhereinusa

Post by somewhereinusa »

Spent a couple of days making a mount for my tow bar. The original bumper was bent, so I just threw it away. I used some scrap to construct a mount for the folding tow bar.

I got the bar from craigs list for $75, it looks like it was never used. A new bar like this is $500 and the base plates are about $400. :D

At some point time, much later, I'll make some sort of bumper that will mount on this mount.
ol trunt

Post by ol trunt »

Hey Somewhere--great score! Your base plate looks plenty stout to do the job. It looks like you have allready made provision for the outrageous lateral forces these things generate trying to get the front wheels to turn side to side.

I can't quite make out what brand your bar is but it looks almost exactly like my Tow Master II except yours has square tubes and my older model has round. Does the square version like to pinch fingers as much as the round? My Toad has a Geo Tracker frame and 4X4 driveline on a 7' wheel base. This coupled with extra wide tires seems to exaserbate the lateral forces while making slow speed tight turns and I can feel the Toad tugging. At speeds over 20 MPH I can't even tell it is there. I'll be interested to see how yours behaves. The PO said he was selling the hitch because he couldn't back up with it (as evidenced by a small bend in the bar which doesn't seem serious enough to worry about). Steering geometry being what it is, I will unhitch rather than back up hooked up -- no big deal.

Do you have to do anything special to tow your jeep four down? The owners manual that came with the Geo calls for starting the vehicle each 100 miles and letting the thing run for a few minutes to get oil splashed around the transfer case. I look at it as being a good excuse to get out and stretch.

I apologize for the pics of my junk on your post but I thought you might like to see the bend I was talking about. Jack

I did a little velcro zipped cover to slow down the rust.Image

Our bars sure look similar.Image

This pic shows the bend just towards the Toad from the red rag.Image
tamangel
Roving Reporter

Post by tamangel »

I for one would like to see more pics of your Morris wagon..any build threads anywhere..

Mike W

somewhereinusa

Post by somewhereinusa »

Hey Jack,
Good looking rig, I admire you people who actually get things finished, as opposed to me, who usually gets it usable. I am making an effort on the bus to correct this flaw. :lol:
I did a little velcro zipped cover to slow down the rust.
I didn't think you had enough humidity out there for that to happen.

The tow bar is a Roadmaster Stowmaster. Rated at 6000lb. It probably is a finger pincher, I'll probably find out one of these days. I'm more concerned about the Jeep frame where everything bolts up than I am about my welds and brackets. Boy, that stuff is thin. :banghead: I did use grade 8 bolts and large backing plates with proper torque, hoping to maximize the clamping forces and area that is being pulled on.
The PO said he was selling the hitch because he couldn't back up with it
Somebody probably told him he could do that with no problem. That bend looks pretty insignificant.

The Jeep tows 4 down, you just have to make sure you get one with Selec-Trac. It allows you to put the transfer case in neutral.

Next is to see if my idea for putting the receiver in the rear bumper works out. But, that will have to wait for a bit, I've got to make things a little more livable inside. Mumsywumsy is going on a trip with me next week. It seems that what she will put up with and what I will put up with are a bit different. :banghead: "What? You mean you won't sleep on a piece of plywood with a couple of blankets thrown on for padding?"

Dick
somewhereinusa

Entry steps

Post by somewhereinusa »

Got the entry steps finished today. All but the top riser, it will have to wait until the floor is done.

I'm not sure I like the boards above the floor line, it's some leftover laminate flooring.
ol trunt

Post by ol trunt »

Hey Dick. Very nice job. Along with your screen and door it makes a great first impression. Jack