somewhereinUSA build

Discussions about all things to do with buses, trucks, and the homes made within them.

Moderator: TMAX

LuckyChow

Re: somewhereinUSA build

Post by LuckyChow »

That's an interesting setup, Dick. Glad to see everyone getting ready for a little summer fun!
Darryl
Smyrna GA
2000 Gillig Phantom
somewhereinusa

Post by somewhereinusa »

This is just a teaser, I just finished making some really cool LED light fixtures. I don't want to show pics until I get them installed. :D
somewhereinusa

More dip cup lights

Post by somewhereinusa »

New light fixtures for bathroom, these are just accent lights so I don't stumble over the dog in the middle of the night.

May still be a tad too bright, if so I'll put a dimmer on them.

This is how they are constructed.

ol trunt

Post by ol trunt »

Hey Dick, those accent lamps really add a finished touch. As always, your project was well thought out and beautifully executed.

Two words of warning though. You'll want to avoid showing off your work while you are parked in the parking lot of the steak house where the dip cups came from--just kidding, and I don't think the dog has anything to fear until the lights go out and you have lost your night vision to those new lamps. Ha, Ha.

Jack
somewhereinusa

Post by somewhereinusa »

Jack,
I did see a really neat stainless basket that a place I ate at delivered the french fries in. May have been TGIF, don't remember now. I even went on line to see if I could buy it some where, no joy. :banghead: I thought it would make a neat light fixture. I enjoy making my own, am appalled at how much LED fixtures cost.
Dennis The Bus Dweller
Seasoned Nomadicista

Post by Dennis The Bus Dweller »

Im lovin dem lights :D
Peace along the way
Dennis the bus dweller N.Y.
somewhereinusa

generator

Post by somewhereinusa »

I've posted this other places, thought someone here might have some insite. This forum tends to have better innovators/thinkers on it.

I got my generator install pretty much done. It's a 20HP Kubota running a 320A 12V DC alternator. I ran both AC for about a half hour until overtemp shutdown. With no load it runs steady 194° The two temp gauges on my control panel are upper-engine temp, lower-top of radiator for fan control. Right now I have overtemp at 219° F, but can't really find any spec on what would be too hot. Ambient air temp is 89° F. Biggest problem is it's too loud. Inside in the rear is 57db, I can get that down with some better sound deadener. But outside in rear it's 77db, not sure what to do about that. I think the alternator itself is a bit noisy, I'll have to take the belt off to check that. There is also a low oil pressure shutdown.

Video of it running.

https://youtu.be/SncTm6bmgbI

Jack (ol trunt) suggested that he uses oil temp (194°F) for shut down. He also used horse stall mat to block noise.

Any thoughts?
somewhereinusa

Post by somewhereinusa »

I started this in response to the hello post then decided it was hijacking that thread. I'm making a shower door out of walnut and some cut down bus side windows. I found out that cutting laminated glass isn't really all that hard.

This is a section of a walnut log that was left over after I sold a tree to a lumber company, they leave a lot. My bandsaw will only make a 5 1/2 inch cut so I made a guide to cut my logs down. Walnut is really heavy and tough to cut with a chainsaw. Mumsywumsy wasn't happy about all of the saw dust on here roses.

Here's a handrail that I made out of a cherry log. The log had a rotten center, this is about all I got out of a 7 inch log.

Dick
Stealth Camper

Post by Stealth Camper »

Nice!
ol trunt

Post by ol trunt »

I envy the way you make all that wood work look so easy :thumbup:
Jack
somewhereinusa

Post by somewhereinusa »

Thanks Jack, just another excuse to buy more toys. I do enjoy being cheap and figuring out how to get what I want without spending for the new fancy stuff.
somewhereinusa

Post by somewhereinusa »

It's been a while since an update. Over the winter I finished the inside of another closet. Installed a hidden storage compartment with very secret locking mechanism. Got the main awning installed on the right side.
I just finished my sound system. I had been wanting to put in an old amp I had to power a bass speaker. Since the new awning has speakers I figured it was about time to redo the mess above the driver seat too.

Here's the radio cabinet which has the amp inside. It has my rear camera screen, XM receiver and new to me radio receiver. The new receiver has usb on front to play my books, also has bluetooth if I ever decide to pair with phone.

I recently got a new toy. It's a hand held CNC router. What better project than a grill for my speaker. This started out as what was left after I sold some walnut trees. (they leave a lot) I cut a piece with my chainsaw into a usable size that I could get into my bandsaw, cut the boards then plained, then edge glued a few together with some tenons.

The panel for the radio cabinet was also cut with the new toy. After all of that I still haven't hooked up the awning speakers. they are all wired but, I want to add a switch so I can turn them off. More wiring to figure out. :banghead:
Dusty

Post by Dusty »

I don't understand how "hand held" and "CNC" work in the same sentence , but that speaker grill is beautiful . :)
58 Bedford House
Stealth Camper

Post by Stealth Camper »

Beautiful wood!! Love walnut!

I can see the recent pics, but the older ones are still showing up as photobucket blocked - didn't know if you knew about that or not...
somewhereinusa

Post by somewhereinusa »

Dusty wrote:I don't understand how "hand held" and "CNC" work in the same sentence , but that speaker grill is beautiful . :)
I'ts pretty slick. Here's a link to their website.

https://shapertools.com