somewhereinUSA build

Discussions about all things to do with buses, trucks, and the homes made within them.

Moderator: TMAX

somewhereinusa

Post by somewhereinusa »

It's been a while, and since I'm NEVER home not much progress has been made. I have however been working on the floor plan (and learning how to use Sketchup) and think this is pretty much it. Still some things to clean up, and I haven't quite figured out how to sink the sink into the counter top. And, yea I know after yapping about a bed against the wall, that's what I ended up with. After living in the cab of a truck for 20 years, open space will be a luxury for me and I didn't want to climb over wheel wells. Mumsywumsy likes to sit down to do all of those things that are a mystery to me, so I think I have devised a clever lighted vanity with fold up seat in the bedroom.

Here is the basic layout. Since the bus will also be a photo print and showroom for my event photography, the front room has the computers and printers as well as a work area.

The area directly to the left of the toilet is where the original side door is and I wanted to have it usable to load supplies directly instead of carting them up the steps. I'm also thinking of adding
a broom closet behind the refrigerator. There will also be overhead cabinets above photo room/kitchen on right side and the left bunk. Big cabinet behind the computers will house at least 2 photo printers on heavy duty drawer slides, and hopefully the cpu's also. Wall at the very rear is more storage above the engine doghouse.

View of the bedroom vanity.

Bath right side.

Bath left side.

Photo room configured as a work area.

As a dining area.

As a seating area.

Only 5 more months and I can say "Take this job and shove it" then I can get down to work on the bus.
Dusty

Post by Dusty »

Interesting work with the computor, are we allowed to comment on the design so far?

I'm going to anyway :D No offence intended.

Your bus is 40ft, you have 4 little rooms, think about how tiny is will all be with such short distance to the next wall.

I was in a 30ft bus once , it had 3 little rooms , similar setup. Once there were 3 or 4 people on board , it was WAAY too cosy. Needed the internal partition walls gone.

Where's the lounge? you know , the resting area you can put yer feet up and relax in , perhaps have a bit of an afternoon nap, share a cuddle with your movie guest 8)

Is it really going to be ok to go thru the bathroom every time you visit the rear of the bus?

Very work station like work station :lol:

As for the kitchen sink ,, yep , just get that router going . . . . BRRRRRR easy as . :D

Several other thoughts available if you can put up with them :roll:
58 Bedford House
somewhereinusa

Post by somewhereinusa »

Dusty, thanks for the input, although I'm a little confused by some of it.
Your bus is 40ft, you have 4 little rooms, think about how tiny is will all be with such short distance to the next wall.
It's over 19 feet to the first wall, showroom and kitchen are one big room, except for large cabinet that will house most of computer/printer equipment.
share a cuddle with your movie guest
:D Hasn't happened in the first 46 years, probably not likely now. :D
Where's the lounge? you know , the resting area you can put yer feet up and relax in , perhaps have a bit of an afternoon nap
That's what beds are for. As for sitting around, I don't do that much and usually do it in a comfortable chair of which there are at least four in the front.
Is it really going to be ok to go thru the bathroom every time you visit the rear of the bus?
I'm not a big fan of the bathrooms with little compartments for each activity. I don't like little showers, little rooms to sit in, etc. Putting the bathroom in the back wastes too much space because of engine doghouse, also there isn't enough room under the rear for waste tanks. We've also been doing that in the same room for 46 years.
As for the kitchen sink ,, yep , just get that router going . . . . BRRRRRR easy as
I know how to install the actual sink, it's getting it to look right in the program I"m having trouble with. :D

As for the front room(I call the photo room) It's the whole reason for the project. I do event photography, usually out in someone's field. There are two photographers, thus the two workstations. We each do our own editing and printing using my equipment. Customers come in and view and order for that "instant gratification" The present setup is in a much smaller area that doesn't even have a place to sit for customers. All computer equipment is in one cabinet so that I can provide EXTRA cooling, most of my equipment failures have been due to hard drives overheating.

:D If I really feel that I must relax somewhere I can always go to my son's(he's the second photographer) converted Greyhound.
ezrablu

Post by ezrablu »

I like the bed layout and the vanity with fold up bench is very cool! By the way, I purchased that very same round corner shower for my bus last summer. It sells for $500 and up...I got one for $150. They said they were going to discontinue the "water droplet" pattern...but they didn't...I just saw them last month at the same store. So I think there was some kind of inventory error...and I got an awesome deal on it.
ezrablu
1991 Bluebird International
360 DT - 6 Speed
somewhereinusa

Post by somewhereinusa »

I'll have to keep an eye out, they seem to be up around $600 now
Dusty

Post by Dusty »

Thanks for helping me understand the plan.

I hope you enjoy your bus as much as I do mine 8) 8)
58 Bedford House
somewhereinusa

Post by somewhereinusa »

Dusty,
Are there pictures of your bus?
ezrablu

Post by ezrablu »

You're right...they are about $600 right now. In fact, they list them on ebay for $699 :shock: Yep, I sure got a deal. The HUGE container it's in is sitting in my son's garage on a pallet just waiting for me to do something with it :D

Dusty, when I put my floor plan on here I'd sure appreciate your thoughts and input on it. I've changed it 25 times at least :D And just when I think I have it how I want it...something bugs me and I start over :roll:
ezrablu
1991 Bluebird International
360 DT - 6 Speed
Dusty

Post by Dusty »

Pics are in the bus barn under 'Dustys Bus'

http://www.nomadicista.org/viewtopic.php?t=1153
Last edited by Dusty on Fri Jul 06, 2012 7:30 am, edited 2 times in total.
58 Bedford House
dburt

Post by dburt »

Sure wish I could run a computer and make it do those nice graphics! I'm still in the 'pencil and the back of a napkin' era- :roll:

I was either born about 50 years to early, or 50 years too late so I have a hard time fitting in sometimes- :wink:
Rudy

Post by Rudy »

Dick, nice computer graphics.

Try resizing your photos to 640X480 before you upload them. That way, we don't have to scroll back and forth to read the words. Thanks
Got love? Give love.
Rudy

Re: pics

Post by Rudy »

somewhereinusa wrote:I'm courious now, there are a bunch of pics on the first page of this post. Can no one seen them? Sorry, I'm just not likely to use yet another picture hosting site. I already have three. I cross post to other forums, and adding another step is getting a bit much. I see that I used the wrong tags on the earlier one tonight. It should have been like this
http://www.mrsharkey.com/forum/vwtp.php ... &start=165
but that will just make the url clickable.
rlaggren responded to the above url, I wonder did he see the pics?

Can anyone see this pic?

I think that this is an excellent photograph. Rudy
Got love? Give love.
somewhereinusa

Post by somewhereinusa »

Rudy,
Sorry about the size, I use a wide screen and didn't notice it. I usually resize photos, but those were just screen shots and I have CRS.

dburt
I doubt if there is much difference in our ages, download the program, and watch the excellent tutorials they have.
somewhereinusa

Re: Another newbe

Post by somewhereinusa »

Well, the retirement came early, forced by doctor. ( I'm pretty well convinced now that the truck is what made me sick)After NOT driving for a week I feel better than I have for a long time. After I I get some things wrapped up, I hope to get crack'n on the bus. :D :D
Dennis The Bus Dweller
Seasoned Nomadicista

Re: Another newbe

Post by Dennis The Bus Dweller »

Get on wit it
Peace along the way
Dennis the bus dweller N.Y.