somewhereinUSA build

Discussions about all things to do with buses, trucks, and the homes made within them.

Moderator: TMAX

Dusty

Re: Another newbe

Post by Dusty »

Yeah , mush mush , and we want pictures :)

What the heck were you carting in the truck that made you sick??

Regards
58 Bedford House
somewhereinusa

Post by somewhereinusa »

Not what I carried, but THE TRUCK. I've been working more getting ready to retire, plus, it's been really hot in the southwest where I do a lot of traveling. That means windows up, more idling etc. I have an auxiliary air conditioner, but it just won't keep up when it's 120 degrees sitting in the sun.

I've been unloading and taking out all of my stuff this week. You wouldn't believe how much ''stuff" I had in there. I've been in that truck for 8 years, I found things that I hadn't seen for a long time.
I found $80 Canadian, I don't think I've been to Canada for at least 10 years. :D :D

I've got my trailer sold, I hope to deliver it today, then park the truck out front with a "for sale cheap" sign. Anybody want a 98 Volvo with only 1,400.000 miles? :twisted:
Headache

Post by Headache »

If I could afford the upkeep on it I'd be all over it! I LOVE Volvos! They were built for short people. :D

I could stretch the frame and put a box on it.....

The stress of constantly being asked to do "favors" and jerks on the road got to me, I'm on forced retirement.
somewhereinusa

Post by somewhereinusa »

It's been a while, but I've finally got some work done.
The door is coming along nicely. I wanted an ambulance door, but couldn't find one that I could afford. I the old door apart and moved the rear section with hinge to the front, then welded the rear section on for the right width using the full door frame. I have installed bear claw latches so that it has two latches. I still have to make the actual door knob assy and figure out a dead bolt lock. Here is a picture sans skin, with window temporarily installed.The gray painted part is the new door.
rlaggren

Post by rlaggren »

That looks like just what God Intended... <G>
stuartcnz
Site Admin

Post by stuartcnz »

Due to unforeseen circumstances, this topic has lost several of the most recent posts! :banghead:
somewhereinusa

Post by somewhereinusa »

I got the electric door lock finished and installed today, I think it works pretty cool. Note in the crack between the door and jam you can see the dead bolt move into the door. That just about finishes up all I can do on the door frame until it gets warm enough for paint to dry. It can be actuated either by remote control or a key switch on the outside. There will also be a switch on the inside. While I was at it I removed a lot of wiring that had to do with the flashing lights and side stop sign. Here's a link to the video, I couldn't figure out how to embed it in the post.

http://s69.photobucket.com/albums/i79/s ... orlock.mp4
stuartcnz
Site Admin

Post by stuartcnz »

Thanks for showing us some more progress.

I've just enabled embedding of video's from Vimeo.com and YouTube, but couldn't figure out how to do it with Photobucket ones.

A how to is posted here:http://www.nomadicista.org/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=2404
stuartcnz
Site Admin

Post by stuartcnz »

Okay, I managed to get it embedded, but it wasn't as straight forward as I would have expected, due to the way photobucket creates their URL's.

Basically you can use the tags, with the video URL, the trick is knowing the correct URL, In this case it meant adding vid to the begining and removing s from the begining and also removing ?action=view&current= from the middle.

So instead of being http://s69.photobucket.com/albums/i79/s ... orlock.mp4

It is http://vid69.photobucket.com/albums/i79 ... orlock.mp4
somewhereinusa

Post by somewhereinusa »

Thanks Stuart, I'll see if I can get it to work on the next vid.
stuartcnz
Site Admin

Post by stuartcnz »

Sorry for getting off topic with this, but on the issue of finding the correct URL for photobucket videos, I checked in the page source for the URL in the line with "video_src" or the following line to be precise:

Code: Select all

<link rel="video_src" href="http://vid69.photobucket.com/player.swf?file=http://vid69.photobucket.com/albums/i79/somewhereinusa/Our%20bus/doorlock.mp4" />
and just used the second part of it:

Code: Select all

http://vid69.photobucket.com/albums/i79/somewhereinusa/Our%20bus/doorlock.mp4
between the tags.
somewhereinusa

Post by somewhereinusa »

While the weather isn't quite cooperating, it has been really nice here. Not quite to the point where I want to open up the whole side of the bus to the weather. I took some time to so some cleaning up so I can walk around in there again. I also have been working on some of those small things that need to get done so something else can get done.

I'm not one to do something the conventional way, and my heating system is no exception. I'm going to have in floor hot water radiant heat, and since none of the parts I'm using is really meant for the purpose, I have to get everything ready and adapted to accept the pex tubing I'm using. Each room will have it's own thermostat which controls a water pump to circulate water to that room. Here's a picture of the gang of water pumps, their relays, and the manifold at the other end with air bleeds.

Not really much to take a picture of, but it is really colorful.

I also have the boiler, water heater and heat exchanger ready for the pex.

Hopefully the weather will get to the point that I can work on the windows and skin soon.
Dennis The Bus Dweller
Seasoned Nomadicista

Post by Dennis The Bus Dweller »

Looks like a great job. I was thinking about doing that kind of a thing for heat in my bagage compartment where my water tanks are but don't really know how to go about it. I have a 3 way atwood water heater in my bus ( propane, 120 volt and a heat exchanger that is supose to be hooked to the cooling system but what I would like to do is use the water heater on propane as I always do but install an isolated tank with antifreeze with maybe a 4’ or 5’ piece of hot water baseboard in the middle of the bay to keep that compartment above 45 degrees in the winter. In the winter I leave the water heater on all the time so there is a constant source of hot water so having antifreeze flowing through the heat exchanger on a thermostat would do the trick? I will need a 12 volt circulator to do this though. So, what do you think? Will it work? If so can you help me figure it out?
Peace along the way
Dennis the bus dweller N.Y.
somewhereinusa

Post by somewhereinusa »

Hey Dennis,
I don't see why it wouldn't work, but I wonder if it might be a bit inefficient? Even using a heat exchanger, you're going to be cooling down your water heater all of the time in cold weather. Basic system would be something like this. The continuous duty water pumps are a bit pricy too.

My system uses a diesel fueled boiler there is a marine water heater,with heat exchanger, in the mail loop to get domestic hot water from the boiler, and also a heat exchanger to get hot water from the engine or to warm the engine for cold weather starting. I'm probably spending to much money on this system, but I really hate cold floors

My son has a MCI coach and just ran some extra ducts from his forced air furnaces to heat the basement.

I'm not an engineer, and really have no idea if my system will work. Plans are to try the in floor stuff, but provisions will be made in the plumbing to add small hot water fan heaters if needed. Either way I will have warm floors.
stuartcnz
Site Admin

Post by stuartcnz »

The Dickinson marine diesel stoves, like I have in my boat can be fitted with a wetback, for heating water. They are designed for supplying hot water to the galley and/or supplying hot water to heating radiators. This page may give some ideas
http://www.dickinsonmarine.com/coil.php