new 2 me toad

Discussions about all things to do with buses, trucks, and the homes made within them.

Moderator: TMAX

TMAX
Officer Hormel

Post by TMAX »

Same thing with my 1960 Rambler American. Only happened once though, on the way to a Nicotine Snowshoe meeting (No Yo Ho Renge Kio). Strange thing was that when the clutch items fell out, I picked them up and after putting them back, no further problems ever.. Weird.
Dennis The Bus Dweller
Seasoned Nomadicista

Post by Dennis The Bus Dweller »

OK, so get this. I was having a lazy moment so I called "Wes Trailer" ( the local camper place and nice people ) and I told them that I have a Roadmaster tow bar, brackets and wiring harness to install and asked them how much it would be for them to do it and I came close to dropping the phone. He said it would be 3 grand to install the brackets and the wiring harness :shock: I asked him if he was out of his mind :D and he didn’t seem to think so and said that it was 10 hours labor. Well, not only is that 300 bucks an hour which is BS :roll: but I went on youtube and all the roadmaster videos are very clear and I’m thinking if I’m under the jeep for more then 5 or 6 hours that will be a lot and in that time I’ll have the rear trailer hitch and wiring installed as well :wink: In this kind of economy you would think these places would be a little more reasonable 8) Ya gotta love it 8)
Peace along the way
Dennis the bus dweller N.Y.
Rudy

Post by Rudy »

But wait! Didn't the Wes Trailer people tell you that for those 10 hours you also receive free psychiatric help?

They try to convince you that you are not crazy for spending $300 an hour.
Got love? Give love.
Dennis The Bus Dweller
Seasoned Nomadicista

So I did the hitch on the back end of the jeep on thursday and it took me a whopping hour and tomorrow morning im headed over to a friends house to use his garage to install the Roadmaster front hitch and after watching the video's on youtube a bunch of time I think a good long 1/2 a day I'll be out of there wiring and all and then next week some time im gonna stop by the folks at WES Trailer to say hi 8) That is unless im still working the hitch :roll:
Peace along the way
Headache

Post by Headache »

That would be great if installing hitches was a sustainable business Dennis. If it was you could undercut by quite a bit and still have some decent pocket change.
Dennis The Bus Dweller
Seasoned Nomadicista

Headache wrote:That would be great if installing hitches was a sustainable business Dennis. If it was you could undercut by quite a bit and still have some decent pocket change.
I may do an add on craigslist and my site. The rear hitches are a walk in the park. On those I can do the install and wiring for a 150.00 and make a good buck. The hitch and wiring harness seam to be going around 200 to 250 with hardware so for someone like me who "thinks" he or she can't do it them selves 400 bucks is a pretty good deal :roll:
Peace along the way
Headache

Post by Headache »

Nice!! I'm looking into the toad aspect now but will probably get a trailer for my AWD for laziness purposes.

I'm wondering about bounce in the rear on older schoolies with springs, occasionally is the jump on the rear enough to pop a ball hitch?
Dennis The Bus Dweller
Seasoned Nomadicista

4 hours including cleanup 8) I'm gonna do the wiring harness on the next clear day. That jackass at the trailer place is a thief :roll:
Peace along the way
ezrablu

Post by ezrablu »

Oooh....Aaaah....nice work...just think of the money you can make installing them at $3000 each :D
ezrablu
1991 Bluebird International
360 DT - 6 Speed
Dennis The Bus Dweller
Seasoned Nomadicista

I posted on my site I'll do them for $500.00 8)
Peace along the way
Bob

Post by Bob »

Looks great! :D
Wherever I am...I am home.
Headache

Post by Headache »

Awesome job Dennis!

Now if it takes you 6 hours to do the wiring harness the trailer guy wasn't lying! lol
Dennis The Bus Dweller
Seasoned Nomadicista

Now if it takes you 6 hours to do the wiring harness the trailer guy wasn't lying
Except he charged 300 an hour and he new how to do it and had a lift to boot :roll:
Peace along the way
Headache

Post by Headache »

Dennis The Bus Dweller wrote:Except he charged 300 an hour and he new how to do it and had a lift to boot :roll:
I was trying to forget about that $300 an hour part. It makes my head want to explode. >.<
Jones'n4chrome

Post by Jones'n4chrome »

Dennis gets one over on The Man!

Good job Dennis.