1960 Crown TV Truck

Discussions about all things to do with buses, trucks, and the homes made within them.

Moderator: TMAX

rlaggren

Post by rlaggren »

What? Nobody mentioned the cost tires when you got your bus, EB? <g>
ezrablu

Post by ezrablu »

:shock: :!:

wow.

Well, good thing the tires on my bus don't look too bad. I better start saving though :roll:
ezrablu
1991 Bluebird International
360 DT - 6 Speed
Sharkey
Original Founder

Post by Sharkey »

Before you wig out on the price of tires, look around and find a reputable tire dealer who can sell you some used skins. I bought 5 for my Crown for $50 each + mounting. These tires have enough tread on them to last the rest of my life (Typical tread life on truck tires, [minus road hazards] is like, 100,000 miles in the service we would give them).
ezrablu

Post by ezrablu »

Well, THANKS Sharkey...big sigh of relief to know that! There happens to be a HUGE used bus dealer about 10 miles from here. They handle most of central Wisconsin's school buses (sell them the new and resell the old). That's their secondary business...they are actually in semi truck sales and have a 10 bay diesel mechanic garage.

I'm gonna contact them just to see what they have to say about used tires. I think I'll have my son call for me though so I don't sound like such newb plus his voice is much deeper :D
ezrablu
360 DT - 6 Speed
Headache

Post by Headache »

That's why I only posted generalized prices of new tires. The price on good used tires can vary quite a bit but if you won't be doing much traveling, used are a much more cost effective alternative.
Jones'n4chrome

Post by Jones'n4chrome »

I looked at used tires, but around here the prices were too high and the tread was too low.
I bought new ones, but I'm pretty sure that they will rot away before they wear out.
Soft Skinned Susan

Post by Soft Skinned Susan »

Where did you find that bus? Is the conversion finished yet? I want a bus like that! Would it be hard to find a bus like that? -Susan
Lostranger

1960 Crown TV Truck

Post by Lostranger »

Chuck, I get excited just looking at the photos. I had no idea that flat topped Crowns exist. I learn something new on this forum all the time.

When you post interior shots, can you also show us a sketch of your intended floor plan? Since I'm taking my Flex back to bare walls, I'm always interested in layout ideas.

In the next week or so I should be able to post some interior shots of the Flex. The new layout will be close to the old, but I'm trying to make better use of space with lighter material. As with any transit, working around the wheel wells is a challenge.

Give us more shots of that Crown whenever you can.

Jim
Headache

Post by Headache »

Soft Skinned Susan wrote:Where did you find that bus? Is the conversion finished yet? I want a bus like that! Would it be hard to find a bus like that? -Susan
It's very hard to find a unit similar to those. Many of them are in the $10k ballpark. I'd love to acquire one myself. Soooo much you can do with one!

Yeah Chuck, where's all those pics and plans at! Hint hint hint...
Jones'n4chrome

Post by Jones'n4chrome »

Soft Skinned Susan wrote:Where did you find that bus? Is the conversion finished yet? I want a bus like that! Would it be hard to find a bus like that? -Susan
All I have to say is...with a user name like that, I'm sure you will fit in good around here.
Jones'n4chrome

Post by Jones'n4chrome »

I went to get this bus in Springfield Mo. It was in storage for at least 5 years. So after I bought it I had to work on it for a few days and install a hitch to tow my Toyota back home with me.

Here are a few pics after most of the work was done. I needed to do a few more things before I would hit the road. So I decided to go to O'reilly's Auto Parts and pick up a few things. After that I went to the Wal-Mart to work on it some more, eat across the street and then head out early in the morning.

These photos were taken at the house where I bought the bus.

Jones'n4chrome

Post by Jones'n4chrome »

I really liked Springfield MO. I think Rudy will enjoy living in this area also. I wish I had a little more time to hang around there, but I had to save time for any setbacks on the way home.

Here are some photos of where I parked at Wal-Mart. I stayed at the hotel across the street from this Wal-Mart the night before. I also ate at Ziggies cafe a few times, they were located right in front of the hotel.
None of the locks worked on the bus, so from here on out I would stay in the bus until I get home.

This is a photo of Ziggies cafe.
Bob

Post by Bob »

I love that bus! I have stayed at all 4 of the walmarts there too..is that the Ziggies on Glenstone?
Wherever I am...I am home.
graydawg

Post by graydawg »

Chuck you got a great rig there, before you posted pics of yours, I had never noticed the squared out buses before, still working on mine, just slow going. Keep posting I love to see the progress on it. I'll bet your neighbors look out every day to see what you are doing next.
James in da GRAYDAWG
I ONCE WAS A MIGHTY GREYHOUND
I THEN GOT OLD AND RETIRED
I LOST MY SEATS AND GOT A NEW GIG
I AM NOW A HAULIN SOME OLD DAWGS &
I BECAME THE GRAYDAWG
ezrablu

Post by ezrablu »

I love your bus, too! You're so lucky to have one so original looking...not like anything I ever see around. Have you been working on it? Please post more photos as you do please :thumbup:
ezrablu
360 DT - 6 Speed