1960 Crown TV Truck

Discussions about all things to do with buses, trucks, and the homes made within them.

Moderator: TMAX

Jones'n4chrome

1960 Crown TV Truck

Post by Jones'n4chrome »

This is my Crown TV truck. The front will be converted as living space, but the rear will be used as a mobile workshop.

I have been wanting to start a thread on this project since I bought it. As there seems to be some interest in it lately, now is a good time to start one.

Dennis The Bus Dweller
Seasoned Nomadicista

Post by Dennis The Bus Dweller »

That is a sweet lookin rig 8)
Peace along the way
Dennis the bus dweller N.Y.
Jones'n4chrome

Post by Jones'n4chrome »

Because Sharkey posted a good description on the other thread, I gleeped it to post it over here.
Sharkey wrote:Ben, Crown made quite a number of "specialty" coaches. That style was commonly known as the "Post Office" model, as many were manufactured to be portable U.S. Post Offices on wheels. Maybe Chuck has more insights on the origins of his coach, but that is a factory body configuration.

Here's one of the P.O. Crowns:

And another that has been pimped out:

Crown also made "combination coaches", which were part passenger bus and part freight truck:

Then there was the Crown freight tractor and trailer:

Sharkey
Original Founder

Post by Sharkey »

Damn, I was sure I had gleeping disabled on the forum, but there are so many configuration settings to keep up with... :D
Dennis The Bus Dweller
Seasoned Nomadicista

Post by Dennis The Bus Dweller »

I like the truck and the trailer 8)
Peace along the way
Dennis the bus dweller N.Y.
Bob

Post by Bob »

MORE MORE! 8)
Wherever I am...I am home.
longjohn

Post by longjohn »

Dennis The Bus Dweller wrote:I like the truck and the trailer 8)
Oh the possibilities. living quarters in front, studio for Mimi in trailer, shop for me in trailer.. .. uh studio for Mimi in trailer... This is so cool!
[/img]
Take a Child Camping and they will have fun
But take a child Campin,
And they will always cherish,
The memory!!!

Campin,Campin,Campin
Jones'n4chrome

Post by Jones'n4chrome »

When Crown went out of business some of the employee's started West Coach. I don't remember exactly how it went down, but somewhere along the line the sales records were sold off. It's a good thing that a few people had the presence of mind to buy them. I'm pretty sure the records would have been trashed otherwise. I now know the sales history of my 57' Atomic and this TV truck.
One of the guys with the records sent me this in an email.

Hi Charles, I found the specs on the TV unit, it was built as a Highway Post Office dated 12-12-58, but it must have sat around for a year and a half, as it was invoiced to Ampex on 7-12-60 to be modified as a TV unit. It was sold to Louisiana Television Broadcasting Corp. of Baton Rouge on August 5, 1960.

Here is a link to WBRZ history. The second photo is of my Crown when it was new.
http://www.wbrz.com/wbrz-history/

Later he added this:

Here's a nutshell history of the Crown TV rigs:

There are Ampex documents at Stanford U, about 30 miles from where I live. Ampex is still in Redwood City, but it's a shadow of its old self. Bing Crosby was heavily involved in the development of recording growth.

Ampex did several TV rigs with Crown, the first being for Jack Linkletter (Art's son) in 1959 for a syndicated daytime show called On the Go. The rig is said to have cost $300k. Then, in 1960, Red Skelton ordered 3 separate units for $1 million total, planning to go around the world. Three years later, he sold them to KTLA, where they had a long second life. One has survived as an RV conversion in Burbank area.

A.H. Belo (WFAA Dallas) was the next one. There were a couple more, I have a list somewhere. One of these others did independent work for companies such as Marathon Oil (I have a 1961 article on this).

This is when the cameras were 300 lbs and similar to the one on that website. It's ironic that today's technology allows all this equipment to be stored in one van.

The USPS HPO program ended in 1974. Many of the rigs were auctioned off. A sound company in Hollywood bought 2 of them. One was stolen in broad daylight from Sunset Blvd. The other one lasted until 1998, when some friends bought it. Another friend now owns it, although he rarely takes it out. All the equipment has been removed, miles of cable and lots of other things.
Jones'n4chrome

Post by Jones'n4chrome »

This link is having issues. Try it later, it usually works.

http://www.wbrz.com/wbrz-history/
splummer

Post by splummer »

real nice chuck, i wish you were a little closer, i like the atomic, lets talk soon on that steve :D
just because you ride the bus , it doesnt make you a bus person
the bus stopped and i got on and thats how it all began
somewhereinusa

P O Crowns

Post by somewhereinusa »

Those P O Crowns are soooo cool. Any interior pictures?
Jones'n4chrome

Re: P O Crowns

Post by Jones'n4chrome »

somewhereinusa wrote:Those P O Crowns are soooo cool. Any interior pictures?
Yes, coming soon.
dburt

Post by dburt »

I'm jealous Chuck! :wink:

What a find- a Crown with a raised roof from the factory. And squared off so it makes building and fitting much easier then the multiple curves on the regular buses. :lol:
graydawg

Post by graydawg »

HEY CHUCK, I thougt you had enough buses already but this one has some serious potential keep us posted James in da GRAYDAWG
I ONCE WAS A MIGHTY GREYHOUND
I THEN GOT OLD AND RETIRED
I LOST MY SEATS AND GOT A NEW GIG
I AM NOW A HAULIN SOME OLD DAWGS &
I BECAME THE GRAYDAWG
Headache

Post by Headache »

I'm definitely interested in watching this project happening!