1960 Crown TV Truck

Discussions about all things to do with buses, trucks, and the homes made within them.

Moderator: TMAX

graydawg

Post by graydawg »

Interesting read Chuck. so your bus grew up here in La so to speak, I remember the hurricane's all too well, My then girlfriends sister lived in Bay St Louis MS and we took a truck load of stuff to them after Katrina. I was stationed at Keesler AFB in Biloxi, Ms from 80 to 84 and loved the area as well, I actually cried like a baby when I saw all the destruction and devistation, I was planning a second trip, when they fused the vertebrae in my neck. It was tough times for everyone. I am sure at some time I watched the news that came out of your bus, they were doing allot of work with PBS also. It just goes to show its a small world after all. In Baton Rouge they got allot of damage as well, I had to go the old city route through downtown and there were shrimp boats 4 and 5 blocks from the water. They took most of the sick and premature babies to Baton Rouge La as well as here in Shreveport. There are still allot of people that stayed here and never went back home, they were tired of running from storms and some had nothing to go back too. James in da GRAYDAWG
I ONCE WAS A MIGHTY GREYHOUND
I THEN GOT OLD AND RETIRED
I LOST MY SEATS AND GOT A NEW GIG
I AM NOW A HAULIN SOME OLD DAWGS &
I BECAME THE GRAYDAWG
yugogypsy

Crown TV Truck

Post by yugogypsy »

Good lookin' unit, definitely keep us posted.

Lois
Bash On Regardless!
Standaddy

Post by Standaddy »

That's one very fine-looking bus. Looks like the ideal candidate for your purpose.
Have fun.
Stan
tamangel
Roving Reporter

Post by tamangel »

As far as I'm concerned, this is THE Crown model.. other than custom rehabs.. I have always wanted this model.. Quite a beauty, I'm glad it got into the hands of someone who will appreciate it..

I'm afraid I'll have to make due with this one..

Mike

here's one I found on the net..sold however..

and the description:

1966 Crown HPO (Highway Post Office)

Odometer reading: approximately 320,000 miles
Built to Postal Service contract regulations for sorting & handling mail in route among smaller Post Offices in low density geographical areas.

Color: White

Body: Aluminum skin construction.

Outer Dimensions: 35' long, about 12' high & 8' wide.

Inner Dimensions: Enclosed area behind drivers seat 30' long, 7'3" headroom.

Features for operation: Air ride suspension & baseboard heating system.

Features added: 143 gal. Sainless steel fuel tank, 6 non-polished aluminum rims with Michelin X radial tires (only 10,000 miles).

Other features: Power steering, 5 speed transmission, Cummins 220 HP Diesel engine, enternal hookup for air suspension with stainless connectors. Two $400 gel-type batteries, stainless hardware used on most improvements.

Condition: Vehicle was always garaged and is free of corrosion including most sensitive areas such as bay doors, etc. Excellent suspension and handling. Clutch was replaced 6000 miles ago. Currently registered as a motor home conversion. Excellent towing capabilities, gets 8 to 9 mpg, comes with misc. extra parts. This vehicle is in excellent running condition.

the link:
http://mogsrus.com/crown.htm

Mike
Jones'n4chrome

Post by Jones'n4chrome »

This sales brochure just sold on Ebay for $19.99 It is for the Crown Sharkey posted.
Ebay also forgot to disable the "gleeping" so here are the photos.

Check out the one man cab.
Sharkey
Original Founder

Post by Sharkey »

Interesting. The "Flatopper" was popular for transporting steel, one of the Eugene steel suppliers had one, or something similar, for delivering girders and such, although it had tandam duals. I always thought it would have made a good platform for a housetruck.
Jones'n4chrome

Post by Jones'n4chrome »

I wanted to post a few more photos of my TV truck, but I loaded them on my computer and now I can't find them. :oops:

So here are some pics of a Gillig 855. As I recall this is a TV grip or lighting truck. If anyone knows more about this truck please post.

earthhorns

tv truck

Post by earthhorns »

Hi Chuck, I can't give any more info. on the Gillig TV truck, other than Wow! what a sweet rig, looks like it has a 10 speed to boot!
Your Crown TV truck is sweet too, and has great potential. It must have tons of buildable space in there! Yes, the "squared off" box will make it much easier.
Good luck with your project!
Scott
tamangel
Roving Reporter

Post by tamangel »

wow, never saw a gillig one..

here's a few more pic's of Crown's:

and a site with Jones n's rig..
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/crowncoac ... 9/pic/list

and a crown junkies yahoo group list of messages using HPO as search word.. Might have to be a member to view..

http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/cro ... rset=UTF-8]

Mike[/img][/url]
Jones'n4chrome

Post by Jones'n4chrome »

Very cool pics Mike!

I noticed that most of the TV trucks have the rack on top. The Gillig has one also.
Thanks for posting.
Headache

Post by Headache »

Jones'n4chrome wrote:So here are some pics of a Gillig 855. As I recall this is a TV grip or lighting truck. If anyone knows more about this truck please post.
I WANT THAT!!!
Jones'n4chrome

Post by Jones'n4chrome »

Headache wrote:
Jones'n4chrome wrote:So here are some pics of a Gillig 855. As I recall this is a TV grip or lighting truck. If anyone knows more about this truck please post.
I WANT THAT!!!
I want the engine for sure.
But I'm kind of glad mine is only a two axle. Only due to maintenance cost though.
I used cheap tires on mine, but if I had another axle it would have been another $1200. for the extra tires.
Headache

Post by Headache »

Most definitely! Even recaps can make a wallet look anorexic.
ezrablu

Post by ezrablu »

How much would it cost to buy new tires for my bus?
ezrablu
1991 Bluebird International
360 DT - 6 Speed
Headache

Post by Headache »

"New" caps will run around $150 with a good trade in casing and you can get away with them on your drive tires.

Steer tires must be new(not caps) and will run around twice that.

Mind you, I'm averaging prices and not considering good used tires.

So if you have 6 wheels to shoe, the minimum you'll be forking out for just the tires is;

Rear caps x 4 = $600
Drives x2 = $600

Total $1200 not including mounting and balancing.