Downhill Grades With A Bus

Discussions about all things to do with buses, trucks, and the homes made within them.

Moderator: TMAX

Rudy

Downhill Grades With A Bus

Post by Rudy »

My lack of driving experience with my bus ( perhaps two hours ) has prompted to ask some advice.

I don't quite know what is the proper approach to safely go down a long grade.

The bus has an eight cylinder CAT motor in the front. It has air brakes. It has an Allison 4 speed automatic transmission.

My primary question is: Should I put the transmission in third gear in anticipation of a long run downhill?

I am concerned about the available air to keep my brakes functioning.

At an idle, if I depress the brake pedal 12 to 15 times all the way down in a quick succession, I can get the gage to buzzer in at 30 lbs. I have no clue if that is normal.

Those two items would be handy to know about.

Please help me with some answers. Thanks

Rudy
Got love? Give love.
stuartcnz
Site Admin

Post by stuartcnz »

General rule of thumb in trucks is to use the same gear going down a hill, as you would use to climb it. If you don't have any exhaust or engine brakes, you may want to go a gear lower still.

Either way go down hills SLOWLY!

PS. you don't want your brakes getting to hot, wich is why you want to use a low gear, that way you don't spend so much time on the brakes. You want them to be cold when you need them.
Bob

Post by Bob »

Put it in low and go slow! Besides getting your brakes hot you could very easily run low on air and have no brakes. (I've been there) The Allison transmission is a great beef-monster!
Wherever I am...I am home.
ezrablu

Post by ezrablu »

Rudy, maybe ya better wear a Depends just in case the "low and slow" method don't pan out :D
ezrablu
1991 Bluebird International
360 DT - 6 Speed
somewhereinusa

downhill

Post by somewhereinusa »

What the others said. A diesel, without an engine retarder of some kind, doesn't really have any back pressure (no throttle plate) to slow you down. I wouldn't use low, depending on grade and length of hill, assuming you have a 4 speed, pick 2 or 3. Watch the tach, keep the rpm's down, when it rises get on the brakes hard ( don't lock them up) to bring speed down fast and get off the brakes. This helps brake cooling and gives the compressor time to build air again. Don't ride the brakes, it makes them hot. Hot brakes don't work. You should'nt see smoke, if you do they are too hot pull over and let them cool. Most trucks loose brakes from heat not lack of air.
Rudy if you're going to Chatanooga, Mt Eagle is one of the worst in the country in my opinion. I did find an 11% grade on some back road in PA last week.

You'll be fine, just use some common sense.

Dick
Rudy

Post by Rudy »

WOW! Thanks for all your input. You have given me strength.

Here's an idea:

Imagine if you had many 2 foot by 2 foot metal plates in a line mounted along each side of the bus that were hinged in the rear of each plate. If you connected each plate with a rod, you could deploy them open all at once.

It would create a tremendous wind resistance which would greatly slow down the bus much like a parachute slows down a dragster.

Orbit told me that was an awesome idea.
Got love? Give love.
Rudy

Post by Rudy »

Dick, my bus does not have a tachometer. I would buy one if I knew how to hook it up.
Got love? Give love.
Bob

Post by Bob »

Several times I have driven the route that you will be taking...not even many hills. I'd still wear the depends though...you will make better time without stops. :D
Wherever I am...I am home.
Rudy

Post by Rudy »

ezrablu wrote:Rudy, maybe ya better wear a Depends just in case the "low and slow" method don't pan out :D
Blu, I am still quite continent. I might freak out on a white knuckle flight downhill and pop an eyeball out, though.
Got love? Give love.
Rudy

Post by Rudy »

Bob wrote:Several times I have driven the route that you will be taking...not even many hills. I'd still wear the depends though...you will make better time without stops. :D
Bob, that would make the perfect compliment to my Peenie Tube to the gallon jug.
Got love? Give love.
Rudy

Post by Rudy »

stuartcnz wrote:General rule of thumb in trucks is to use the same gear going down a hill, as you would use to climb it. If you don't have any exhaust or engine brakes, you may want to go a gear lower still.

Either way go down hills SLOWLY!

PS. you don't want your brakes getting to hot, wich is why you want to use a low gear, that way you don't spend so much time on the brakes. You want them to be cold when you need them.
Stuart, what you said about using the same gear going downhill as the gear going uphill makes such beautiful scientific sense. You are a genius.
Got love? Give love.
somewhereinusa

Post by somewhereinusa »

Rudy wrote:Dick, my bus does not have a tachometer. I would buy one if I knew how to hook it up.
Just take the engine cover off and count the fan revolutions, divide by how many blades are on the fan, add 3, count passing power poles and subtract 10. :D :D :D
Rudy

Post by Rudy »

Dick, that's awesome. Do you think I should wear ear muffs?
Got love? Give love.
ezrablu

Post by ezrablu »

ok, now I'm sitting here laughing at this whole thread...and Rudy's life is at stake! I'm picturing Rudy strapping on a Depends, poppin up the hood up with a calculator in his hand :D
ezrablu
1991 Bluebird International
360 DT - 6 Speed
tamangel
Roving Reporter

Post by tamangel »

look into getting a Jake Brake installed on your motor..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jake_brake

and a vid of the sound..

http://www.youtube.com/watch%3Fv%3DUT4sHf1gYLI

FAQ's by the Jacobs company:

http://www.jakebrake.com/support/faqs.php

Mike
Last edited by tamangel on Wed Mar 02, 2011 5:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.