Building a tear drop trailer

Discussions about all things to do with buses, trucks, and the homes made within them.

Moderator: TMAX

Lurker

Building a tear drop trailer

Post by Lurker »

Younguys are a wealth of info so i;m asking for some help! I am building a small teardrop to tow behind my atv to camp in the wild with! Thinking about building it to fit a full size matteres! Do you guys know of any sites that i can get plans off? It will be built out of aluminum and i would like to,have a small cooking area on the back!
splummer

Post by splummer »

the folks over at tin can tourist might be of help. if you do let us know, i would like some plans also. some day i might like to build one too,
just because you ride the bus , it doesnt make you a bus person
the bus stopped and i got on and thats how it all began
ezrablu

Post by ezrablu »

I do believe I might have some plans...give me some time to dig through my pc and I'll post soon as I find them. I originally was going to build one...they certainly are cool looking and so compact.

ok...never mind...I found them already...man that was faster than I thought. Tell me where to email them.
ezrablu
1991 Bluebird International
360 DT - 6 Speed
splummer

Post by splummer »

ezrablu wrote:I do believe I might have some plans...give me some time to dig through my pc and I'll post soon as I find them. I originally was going to build one...they certainly are cool looking and so compact.

ok...never mind...I found them already...man that was faster than I thought. Tell me where to email them.
i would like a copy also if possible thanks, steve
Rudy

Post by Rudy »

My very first camper was a 1957 handmade teardrop. I towed it across the US with a 1963 Chevy Impala station wagon that had a 327 engine.

Sleeping in the camper at night was cozy. It had only a mattress and two overhead cabinets. The rear opened up and had the "kitchen", which consisted of a Coleman stove and an ice box.

Those were the days.
Got love? Give love.
Dennis The Bus Dweller
Seasoned Nomadicista

Post by Dennis The Bus Dweller »

I think there is a yahoo group called tearjerkers and it either all about old sappy movies or these little trailers 8) :D
Peace along the way
Dennis the bus dweller N.Y.
ezrablu

Post by ezrablu »

Rudy...you have done some wonderful things in your life ♥

splummer...yep, you sure can. Send me a private message with your email and I'll send it. I have plans for just about anything I think...or pretty close to it. I've spent a lot of time researching and collecting the past few years.

Also, here is a link for anybody that wants a whole bunch of plans for a great price. Actually a person could probably blow up some of those photos and do just fine :D

http://teardropplans.com/

and here's some inspiration...
http://www.socalteardrops.com/
ezrablu
360 DT - 6 Speed
rlaggren

Post by rlaggren »

Behind an ATV, huh?

Kinda wants to be strong, with the bits and pieces in the kitchen tied down _real_ good. The kitchen door is one big side of material so it better have strong hinges, fit solid with support all around when closed and have a top of the line latch so it doesn't pop open. Don't think you want to build on a harbor freight $200 utility trailer, either. I drove one of those across the country no problem and broke a spring 5 mile into Chicago. Now I know Chicago has some good pot holes, but I doubt it measures up to a good fire road...

Rufus
ezrablu

Post by ezrablu »

To make this easier for everyone who wants a copy, I just added a link to my website isntead...click on it and a pdf will open....save it to your computer. I'll leave the link up for a few days.

These are vintage teardrop plans which you can change the shape, etc. to your likings.

http://www.ezrablu.com/pdf/teardrop.pdf
ezrablu
360 DT - 6 Speed
splummer

Post by splummer »

thank you for posting the plans for the teardrop, this maybe a near future project, may start one once the sno is gone and a few other projects completed, like a new trans in the duece ,almost done with that
ezrablu

Post by ezrablu »

Your welcome splummer. Maybe you can share some photos of your project when you do. I still hope to build one in the future...so many plans...so little money :cry:

I have plans for scooters, bicycle boats, all kinds of boats from skiffs to glass bottom, buildings, 6 wheeler atv, 3 or 4 wheel atv, telescopes, smokehouse, walk-in fridge, bleachers, steel guitar, acoustic guitar, boomerangs, sand blaster, rototiller, fruit dryers, auto powered arc welder, arc welding gun, mobile welding trailer, picnic tables, periscope, golf cart, go-cart, cement mixer, tractor, mini bikes, motorized bicycle, gas smelting furnace, wind power battery system, snow mobile, snow thrower, all kinds of buildings, cabins, furniture you can imagine....too many to list. I have collected A LOT of plans and blueprints.
ezrablu
360 DT - 6 Speed
ezrablu

Post by ezrablu »

Here is a GREAT link to all kinds of teardrops plans....original oldies....some of these plans are for really nice looking teardrops.

http://www.tinytears.cc/scans.html

and this guy has some great photos of his build plus specs...

http://www.bobsteardrop.com/construction.htm
ezrablu
360 DT - 6 Speed
Jones'n4chrome

Post by Jones'n4chrome »

ezrablu wrote:Your welcome splummer. Maybe you can share some photos of your project when you do. I still hope to build one in the future...so many plans...so little money :cry:

I have plans for scooters, bicycle boats, all kinds of boats from skiffs to glass bottom, buildings, 6 wheeler atv, 3 or 4 wheel atv, telescopes, smokehouse, walk-in fridge, bleachers, steel guitar, acoustic guitar, boomerangs, sand blaster, rototiller, fruit dryers, auto powered arc welder, arc welding gun, mobile welding trailer, picnic tables, periscope, golf cart, go-cart, cement mixer, tractor, mini bikes, motorized bicycle, gas smelting furnace, wind power battery system, snow mobile, snow thrower, all kinds of buildings, cabins, furniture you can imagine....too many to list. I have collected A LOT of plans and blueprints.
Umm...Ms MacGyver, if you plan to do all that, I sure hope you work a lot faster than I do. Or you might just go crazy. :)
ezrablu

Post by ezrablu »

Chuck :D My eyes were always bigger than my stomach :D
ezrablu
360 DT - 6 Speed
stuartcnz
Site Admin

Post by stuartcnz »

The teardrop campers group on Yahoo is http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/teardropcampers/

I recieve the posts by daily digest, but must admit I haven't read any in awhile. It is a busy group though.