Looking Over That Potential Project

Discussions about all things to do with buses, trucks, and the homes made within them.

Moderator: TMAX

Headache

Post by Headache »

My dad says I have a habit of opening mouth and inserting foot so it's probably best that I don't. It would "feed me" and I came here to stay away from that.

Around "educational" opportunities especially regarding the lack of true historical education(I go nuts about Pocahontas and Columbus ARRRGHH!), my sister usually does the talking because I have a tendency to be blatantly honest and shoot my mouth off while she's more diplomatic about it.

I hope I was being good in the other thread about Japan and I'm being super good about the holiday today.

I wanted to put up an emoticon with a halo on it but there wasn't one!
Headache

Post by Headache »

Questions about framing and cabinets, well just one really.

I see pics of interior wood framing and I'm really curious as to how it's attached to the interior bus skins. Is it "glued and screwed" through the skin into the inner frame itself? What materials have you used/suggest be used? Thanks
Rudy

Post by Rudy »

Headache wrote:Questions about framing and cabinets, well just one really.

I see pics of interior wood framing and I'm really curious as to how it's attached to the interior bus skins. Is it "glued and screwed" through the skin into the inner frame itself? What materials have you used/suggest be used? Thanks
Alex, see my thread.

http://www.mrsharkey.com/forum/vwtp.php?t=965

Basically I drilled a small hole into the inner bus skin and used sheet rock screws. A 9/64th drill bit is perfect size for sheet rock screws. I used L brackets on the inside of the cabinets so they would not be seen.
Got love? Give love.
graydawg

Post by graydawg »

Hello all, been dealing with a few problems myself lately, The 94 3/4 ton Surburban 4x4 that I had for sale for $2500 got stolen monday, it took them a week to catch me gone long enough to steal it, I guess, they broke into it last week, I can't bitch though I had a 300 foot shot that I could have made, and only had 3 clips with me for a grand total of 25 rounds, but was worried about the bullet hitting a unintended person passing by on the highway. It is unbelievable how this all came about, not that I did not already have a full plate to deal with health wise, but thats life, I guess, I have not abandoned yaw, although some would probably love it. The money was going to be spent on paying bills off and moving out of the hood. I am just about out of debt and that would have taken care of everything, including moving. Life goes on though, I may be the next angry fellow myself, I have sat on the edge of my seat waiting on what happens next on a certain site, but I also got a kick out of the Jerry Springer show when it first came out as well, especially the midget wrestling, must be a little twisted, but you have too be to reside in this world.
James in da GRAYDAWG
I ONCE WAS A MIGHTY GREYHOUND
I THEN GOT OLD AND RETIRED
I LOST MY SEATS AND GOT A NEW GIG
I AM NOW A HAULIN SOME OLD DAWGS &
I BECAME THE GRAYDAWG
Griff
~(G)Q

Post by Griff »

@ Alex: I pretty much use the same method as Rudy. My advantage is that my ceiling skins are held on with screws, so I use them to anchor my L brackets and don't have to drill additional holes in the skins.

@ Graydawg: Wow, James, that hurts! Do you have any leads on who stole it/are the police able to do anything to help recover it?

Whatever you do, please don't go the "angry man" route, you are above that (I know it's tempting, though, heh). Turn that "frustration" energy toward positive use, you'll end up with much better results regardless of where you direct it.

Don't know what I can do to help but you're on my prayer list.
~(G)Q Arduously Avoiding Assimilation
ezrablu

Post by ezrablu »

@Griff...Great advice for James. Anger doesn't carry a man very far and revenge shortens the trip even more. As difficult and maybe even silly as it might sound, don't be angry especially when you're already having a bunch of health problems. Negative feelings just shorten your life and make the time you do have, miserable. Prayer can do wonders...I'll say some for you, too.
ezrablu
1991 Bluebird International
360 DT - 6 Speed
Stealth Camper

Post by Stealth Camper »

About screws....
My two or three cents worth; try to avoid sheet rock screws if possible. They are some of the weakest you can find. I tried wood screws of same size and they are much stronger, but the threads only go part way up the length of the screw.

Finally, I arrived at sheet metal screws. They are the strongest of the 3 and the threads are full length. Plus, can get them in panhead phillips (my favorite for most applications) or flat head phillips (second favorite if want flush mount to surface. (I never use slotted head. Always phillips, or sometimes the torx looking screws or square drive.)

They work great in wood or sheet metal - anywhere sheet rock or deck screws go, plus many more places.

Can also get them in stainless for a whole lot more money, but worth it in corrosive applications, in particular if there is treated wood involved.

And for bolts - nothing beats hot dip galvanized for corrosion resistance. Nuts and washers, too.
graydawg

Post by graydawg »

I made my decision when presented with it, there has always been theives, scam artist, criminals, and just down right undesireables since the beggining of time. The POLICE don't care, and they didn't even want to make a police report. No money for them to make off of it. That is one of the MANY reasons people have lost respect for them. They will have to steal a gas station now to keep it on the road. 454 engine, 4x4, it will turn up somewhere, probably not worth anything then, just life, it was not worth carrying full coverage on it had 10 x the limit for liability, and uninsured motorist but thats it. I am a firm believer in what comes around goes around. they will get theirs, some people call it karma. I will not go out looking for them, its not worth my time. It took them about a week to steal it, they had tried earlier a week before when they broke the drivers side window out. My Father taught me at a young time that "IF YOUR WORD IS NOT WORTH ANYTHING, WHAT IS YOUR SIGNATURE WORTH" with that attitude I have made it 50 years, and will carry it till death, its who and what I am about. Some folks are not like that, I am not a super religious person, but there will be a day when your ticket gets punched and you have to answer for what you have done in life.
James in da GRAYDAWG
I BECAME THE GRAYDAWG
ezrablu

Post by ezrablu »

:thumbup:
ezrablu
360 DT - 6 Speed
Jones'n4chrome

Post by Jones'n4chrome »

Ain't that the truth!
graydawg

Post by graydawg »

I apologize for the rants and raves, just tired of dealing with idiots, I didn't realize there were that many of them, they worked hard to steal it though, its a shame they don't work that hard at being legitiment, in fact it would be easier, quicker, and a lot less dangerous. I will be carying the MIN. amounts of insurance from now on, tried of being the responsible party too long, barely making it myself, and theives want to take that from me, pitty the next fool, starting to understand the logic of getting further away, maybe a cave big enough to back my bus in. I have done without for a long time, lived below poverty level, but was actually seeing the light at the end of the tunnel, but it was a train instead. Some folks consider kindness and honesty as a weakness. I have never took advantage of folks that way, just not in my nature. I was hoping life would get easier some day, but guess thats out of the question. I am sure some have noticed I don't post as often any more, but I am still here, just in observation mode. Trying to get to a point of traveling and enjoying life, I don't think that is too much to ask for, maybe it is. I am still trying to get there and will or die trying. The dogs are doing good, Amberlynn is pregnant again, tried to get her fixed but here we go again, just kicked Jake (daddy dog) again, he raised up as if to say why you bothering me.
James in da GRAYDAWG
I BECAME THE GRAYDAWG
ezrablu

Post by ezrablu »

James...it's good to vent. You are smart to be working toward getting out of town because the way "things" are going, being in or too near a city is not good. Hang in there...stay focused and don't get discouraged. Don't let set backs get you down...focus on your plan only.
Have you checked into the Humane Society about getting your dog fixed? Maybe they will do it for cheap...they do here.
ezrablu
360 DT - 6 Speed
ezrablu

Post by ezrablu »

I guess this is a good place and time for me to mention I may not be around as much over the next several weeks. I have MUCH to do within a 3 week time frame and being the weak wimp I am...I only hope I can actually do what I have to.

A little history and splainin: Two years ago my X and I put our house up for sale. I expected it to be on the market at least a year or more...BUT our house sold the very SAME day we put it on the market! We were shocked it sold so fast and were in no way prepared to move. We had 30 days to move and nowhere to go. So we packed quick, threw everything into two big storage rooms and moved in with my son which was supposed to be just temporary till we found a place to move into. I figured a month or two at the most. Little did I know my X was on his own agenda with another woman in California :/ Hence, two years later, I'm now divorced after 25 yrs of (not so) blissful marriage...still living here at my son's house (bless his heart). But it has also helped him, too because the month after I moved in he had a VERY bad ATV accident and nearly died. He wasn't able to work so my income supported him/his bills too.

Anyway, I bought my bus and land and have a plan. BUT also have two VERY full storage rooms that I need to empty. Not to mention all the stuff I now have stored in my son's garage that I've bought/picked up for my homestead and bus. My hope is to condense it down into one storage room and "get rid" of the rest. It's going to be a job....and that's where my wussy expertise comes in :D

I just wanted everyone to know (if) I'm not around much over the next 2 to 3 weeks while I get my life in order AND make the big move out to my land on my bus...I'll be back on here again soon.
ezrablu
360 DT - 6 Speed
splummer

Post by splummer »

it sounds like its going to be busy, we will miss you here , but iam glad its a good busy
just because you ride the bus , it doesnt make you a bus person
the bus stopped and i got on and thats how it all began
Griff
~(G)Q

Post by Griff »

@ James: Ditto Ezra's post - feel free to vent. We're here to listen and venting here is much better that lashing out elsewhere. Hang tough, things will get better (although there's much to be said for Ezra's signature line, heh!). But hey, if it was simple, we could train monkeys to do it, and the hard times can make us better appreciate the good times!

@Ezra: You'll be glad you did it when you're done!
~(G)Q Arduously Avoiding Assimilation