Looking Over That Potential Project

Discussions about all things to do with buses, trucks, and the homes made within them.

Moderator: TMAX

rlaggren

Post by rlaggren »

> files...

Scan stuff and leave the paper behind? Time consuming but much smaller footprint.

At 300dpi for text and non-critical pics, I can average about 1 page/min... AFTER I've stacked the papers neatly at hand and got everything ready. From there it all slows down more - ie. 600 dpi for color pics, page by page from a book or brochure, etc.

Some software works easier than others for the logistics of naming, copying, etc. The following is a no-frills scanning utility with good filing features. I use other stuff with Linux now and that's an old link but it's still alive.

http://download.cnet.com/MrBills/3000-1 ... 17996.html

Rufus
Headache

Post by Headache »

No can do on the scanning but thanks for the suggestion. I'd have to have a scanner and there's a lot of things I still need to do that requires original if not certified documentation.
Headache

Post by Headache »

Postponements...

I'm not a fan of them but when dealing with mental illness especially of the social anxiety variety, they are inevitable.

This weekend as well as right now has been my first full fledged anxiety attack in quite awhile and at least this time(a rarity), I'm aware of the triggers. I'm still unable to stop it but at least I'm riding it out a little better than in the past. Still, I'm hiding in my apartment, my refuge.

The first trigger was that I've been out in the public a lot. I haven't been out and about like this in years. Although I got quite a bit done in a couple of days, it became overwhelming and I became fearful.

The second trigger was the file crates I ordered. Fed Ex delivering to this complex has become the epitome of laziness anymore. Rather than going to the door, ringing the bell and if no answer leave a door tag then go to the office like they are supposed to do, they go straight to the office and if no one is there, they enter the attempted delivery their system and then leave.

This pissed me off because Saturday I waited here while monitoring my email because I was really looking forward to getting started on my files. When I saw that "unable to deliver" on the tracking page I called Fed Ex immediately and explained what happened. They contacted the driver but he was already in Connecticut. You're damn right I lodged a formal complaint. And because Ground/Home Delivery doesn't work Sun/Mon, I have to wait until tomorrow for another "attempted" delivery. =/

The plus to this is that it snapped me back to reality and in doing so I'm avoiding a potential meltdown. Socially I bit off more than I could chew. Strange as it sounds, I need to ease myself back into society just like I'd have to do with anything else.

I had already planned out my reintroduction to long distance driving, why didn't I do the same for social encounters? Because my van and my future new bus don't have the capacity to be judgmental. ;)

My new "leave" date is right after the dominant culture independence holiday.
Stealth Camper

Post by Stealth Camper »

Cinco de Mayo?? That's pretty quick...

Ok, I guess you must really 4th of July.

Scanning;
If you (or anyone) is into scanning, I found a device that works well for me. First introduced at a job in a galaxy far far away. Visioneer Strobe XP200 is what I have (www.visioneer.com). When I replace it will be with 300 if still made.

These things are pretty quick and I have been converting those files that everyone seems to get into digital pdf files, or if text is needed, doing the OCR thing and getting editable files.

They cost way too much to make me happy about buying them, but when I get started scanning, it is a joy to use. Can do a ream of paper very fast. Only thing that beats it is the big scanner at work - that takes about 2 minutes for singled sided ream of paper. I don't use the big scanner at work because it has a disk drive and keeps a copy of everything done on its surface.

Anyway, it has helped me get rid of about 1 full 4 drawer cabinet worth of stuff, out of the five cabinets I have. Obviously a work in progress that needs a lot more work. I have found that the hoarding thing is much easier on a 500 Gbyte USB hard drive (two actually; backups!)

Good luck!!
Headache

Post by Headache »

Got a call back from the dealership last night. I still want more info and pics but it looks like I'll be scheduling a trip out to look at a bus in the next couple of weeks.

I'm a bundle of nerves, lol. :shock:
Headache

Post by Headache »

I forgot to add that I see a few diesel shops in the area so I'm going to contact them and find out how much it will be for them to inspect a bus for me. I can't crawl around like I could when I was younger and want to know as much as possible about the condition.

But if anyone knows of someone they could recommend near Kalispell/Libby/Troy that can look over a bus, I'll be heading out that way soon!
Headache

Post by Headache »

Updates:

I haven't heard back from the dealership due to sandbagging efforts at the main office(where the bus is located is safe for now) and due to current "stuff" I'm putting it on the back burner for now.

Last night the prez designated our county a federal disaster area and I submitted my application online to FEMA for the damage to my van. They will contact me in 3-5 days to make an appointment to come out and estimate the damage to my van. Then I'll have to wait to see what they decide for monetary compensation.

In the meantime my Dad is considering not continuing cancer treatments because it is making him so miserable. Equally bad is that he won't talk to his doctor about alternative ways to deal with it such as holistically. He is so terrified of not being on blood thinners that he won't even consider that his lack of proper nutrition is what got him in this fix in the first place and now the doctors have made it even worse by restricting his diet even more. His body functions are slowly shutting down because they don't have the nutrition to heal properly and he completely believes his doctor knows best. This makes it even harder for me to want to go there because this is what I didn't want to see happen to begin with. He's very concerned about the insurance thinking he'd be committing slow suicide by refusing treatment, but he won't see he's already been doing it via dietary restrictions. This is really going to be a very hard trip.

Anyway, now that time is more pressing I'll have to wait on the bus. In the mean time and if FEMA comes through somewhat I'm going to do something similar to this;

http://fiziwig.com/van/index.html

I will have to be especially careful with what I do regarding weight because my van is a half ton. What I may do is take whatever money I get from FEMA, add some of mine and either find a one ton(then part out mine) or do something like this guy and buy an ambulance:

http://cheapgreenrvliving.com/Ambulance-Living.html

I have never seen dual axles before but that would be great to find one that long. I could do a ton with that amount of space and still maintain somewhat of a stealth mode for all those finer scenic parking spots around Ballard and in Nickelsville.
dburt

Post by dburt »

Hang in there Headache- it is so tough to see a parent go downhill, and not be able to do something about it. You want to help, but often your help is ignored, or overlooked or downright rejected and you have to endure the pain of watching your loved one suffer! :cry:
Headache

Post by Headache »

Wow! Tons of housecleaning has been done here! It seems like half the threads are gone! I went to look at the For Sale section...

FEMA came through and I'm now searching for a 1 ton extended cab van with a high top. I can get away with that. They will not be happy if I buy a bus so that's out. I'm fairly certain I'll be able to make do with the van and converting it will be much less expensive.

I'll still be hiring someone to do the electrical and help me with the plumbing because I'll still need a/c and some sort of shower and crapper. I'll be setting it up to be self contained somewhat but generally to be plugged in. I'll have my Dad's car to use once I'm there.

I'd love to get my hands on something similar to a cut van with at least a 20-25 foot box, over cab storage would be a plus. I'm allowed to move!

Found out recently that I really don't have a choice regarding moving. Something in the dust debris is causing me to break out and to become congested. My doctor said I need to get out of Dodge asap.

So...I'm van shopping...