Looking Over That Potential Project

Discussions about all things to do with buses, trucks, and the homes made within them.

Moderator: TMAX

splummer

Post by splummer »

blu we havent used craig list but we have an ebaystore,its slow but doing ok, also sold on ruby lane .
just because you ride the bus , it doesnt make you a bus person
the bus stopped and i got on and thats how it all began
splummer

Post by splummer »

:D 45 years of stuff, nice
just because you ride the bus , it doesnt make you a bus person
the bus stopped and i got on and thats how it all began
ezrablu

Post by ezrablu »

:thumbup: We live fairly close...I've been wanting to go to Indiana anyway and pick up some cottonwood to carve :wink:

splummer...I've never sold on Ruby Lane but I've bought plenty from there :roll: Craigslist works pretty good if you can weed out the spammer and perverts :D I've learned if somebody contacts me and they specifically mention what I'm selling by name OR they call what I'm selling the "item" I don't reply because those are definitely from a spammer just trying to get email addresses. I also don't give out my phone number. If somebody is interested they need to say what I'm specifically selling and give their number for me to call them.
ezrablu
1991 Bluebird International
360 DT - 6 Speed
yugogypsy

Looking over that Potential Project

Post by yugogypsy »

Garage sale in May for me too. No wheels, I need to raise the $$$ to get some cheap wheels.

I am cleaning out the house, room by room. I haven't made much of a dent in it yet, but hope to be able to find certain sections of walls and corners soon.

HUGS to Everyone--RUDY--where is you???? Pls email

Lois
Bash On Regardless!
rlaggren

Post by rlaggren »

Wow. Sounds like you guys have some REAL piles! <g> You must be expert at pricing/packing/mailing by now, EB! I figured you maybe just needed a good way to lose stuff w/out investing more time and money than you had to but it looks like you're a real business woman.

Interesting take on CL. I have used it to buy stuff a lot and usually either quote the title or give a precis in the subject line of my reply (to their ad) so I can figure out what the heck item they're talking about when/if the seller gets back to me. When I'm doing a project I often go looking for 3 or 4 things at once on CL and contact 2 or 3 sellers each - sometimes more. So knowing what/where/$$ on the subject line of emails is pretty important.

But if your filter for fakers is common that might explain why there are some that just don't seem to connect. I see a tool or something that looks reasonable, send a reply, get no response, and then see the same item placed again a week later; sometimes it happens 3 times. I started wondering of people were using CL for communicating in code. You know - "Golden Camry by Inyo - $5000" (or something) means the drugs are in, bring the cash...

Rufus
Headache

Post by Headache »

Came up with a floor plan that appears to fit my needs. That is until reality gets a hold of it.

Jones'n4chrome

Post by Jones'n4chrome »

Headache wrote:That is until reality gets a hold of it.
Looks like a good start, but if that drawing is to scale your bus will need to be about 48' long.
If you can draw to scale it will make it much easier during planing.
Very good starting point though.
Headache

Post by Headache »

Jones'n4chrome wrote:Looks like a good start, but if that drawing is to scale your bus will need to be about 48' long.
A pox on thee for throwing math into my project! :lol:

No, nothing was drawn to scale, it was a preliminary sketch out. I was just happy I was able to draw that in Paint(first time using it) and recognize what was where when I added the text.

I'm very much a "sight" person. I have to be able to see something viable to get an idea of where things will be spatially. I won't be finalizing anything or any measurements until I get stuff onto the bus like the wood stove, fridge, shower, sinks and toilets. This is important because my tanks will be integrated inside as well. I'll be spending a good portion of time moving the "puzzle pieces" around until what stays on board fits.
Stealth Camper

Post by Stealth Camper »

Google Sketchup may help you with the planning. Seems like a pretty easy to use 3D drawing program. I have used it on a couple of small projects, but one guy I work with did a whole house plan, with finishes and everything. Very nice.

Best of all, it is free!
somewhereinusa

Post by somewhereinusa »

I've been wanting to go to Indiana anyway and pick up some cottonwood to carve Wink
There's some cottonwood at the end of my drive that the tree trimmers left there, about 10in dia 18in long. Don't know if it's any good now, but, I've got some butternut that came down a few years ago, I could probably come up with ash, wild cherry and black walnut too.

I'll be in Genoa City,WI next weekend. Might throw in a couple of chunks of cottonwood it that sounds like anything you can use.
Mark R. Obtinario
Seasoned Nomadicista

Post by Mark R. Obtinario »

Hey Headache, it would appear as if you have the general layout pretty firmly in hand. Specifics will come when you are actually standing in your bus.

One thought does come to mind and it is the location of your plumbing.

Almost every RV waste dump is located on the driver's side of the vehicle. I think that has something to do with the fact most commercial vehicles have waste dumps on the curb side. With a driver's side dump it won't allow commercial vehicles to dump. The powers that be like for commercial operators to pay for the privilege of dumping (perhaps that is why the Charlie Daniel's band bus dumped as it was crossing the bridge in Chicago).

Locating your fixtures on the curb side will require you to have at least the waste pipe to cross over to the other side of the bus. It might be easier and less expensive to locate the fixtures on the driver's side to begin with.

Just my two cents worth.
Headache

Post by Headache »

Mark R. Obtinario wrote:It might be easier and less expensive to locate the fixtures on the driver's side to begin with.
Thanks for the heads up on that! Per your suggestion I've been looking at ways to work the tanks in with my interior design(one of the reasons why my floor plan isn't scale). I figured either the fresh or gray water tank will become the stand my electric piano sets on top of, and then the other may become the base of the couch in the parlor area rather than it having storage under it. About the only thing I could think of for the black water is to work it into the bathroom somehow. I don't want it out in the rest of the interior.

I haven't heard back from the boss man yet. I hope getting the additional pictures and info doesn't take as long as this first return call did. >.<
ezrablu

Post by ezrablu »

@somewhereinusa....hey thanks! Cottonwood is nice to carve tree spirits from with the bark on there.
ezrablu
1991 Bluebird International
360 DT - 6 Speed
somewhereinusa

Post by somewhereinusa »

ezrablue

I wondered what possible use you could have for cottonwood.
I'll throw some in the truck, if you want it I'll be here

http://www.s232408658.onlinehome.us/eve ... irections/

taking pictures, from Fri about noon 'till mid afternoon Sunday.

Cell # two six oh-two two four-four three two oh
Headache

Post by Headache »

So today I did a little bit of preparing for the eventual move into a smaller living space. My concern for the day was regarding a 4 drawer file cabinet I've had for years that although I could probably make fit on the bus, keeping it somehow did not jive with downsizing.

I've got a ton of files in it of not only personal and business stuff but also research of American Indian history that I've collected for future endeavors. I've been going through them, discarding stuff not relevant, reorganizing, etc.

My solution was getting "file crates" for hanging folders. These not only stack on each other(for the move west in the van) but are small enough that I can easily store them under the storage bed I'm building in the bus. For my desk I'll be building a 2 drawer unit that will easily fit 2 of the crates as well.

I've also decided that I will keep my current queen size mattress to be put in the bus rather than selling it and buying a full size. I won't come out ahead or even break even if I do it that way, as well as me needing something to sleep on after I leave this apartment. I'm going to get a cot to put in my van and fold the mattress in half. I'll strap one half up on the wall of my van and the other half will lay on the cot. My knees will thank me for doing it this way.