Looking Over That Potential Project

Discussions about all things to do with buses, trucks, and the homes made within them.

Moderator: TMAX

Headache

Looking Over That Potential Project

Post by Headache »

Since I've never looked at a bus before let alone really knowing what was going on with the big trucks, I'd like to throw this out and get everyone's input. I also looked over the old threads and couldn't find much.

Before cash transfers hands, when you are standing in front of that bus you are considering for your new home project, what do you look at?

I've never driven a bus so just a test drive alone should be entertaining. I'm not super mechanically inclined(I get by on the small stuff) and I'm assuming I will be traveling a distance to size up some rides. I'm also assuming that more than likely I will be alone in evaluating the potential project so I'd like to know more about what I should be looking at.

I can get as far as checking fluids, kicking tires, glass and looking for hanging objects. After that things get a bit fuzzy.

Thanks for your input. It will give me something to think about while I'm whining like a baby after I get out of the hospital on Wednesday. lol
Jones'n4chrome

Re: Looking Over That Potential Project

Post by Jones'n4chrome »

Headache wrote: Thanks for your input. It will give me something to think about while I'm whining like a baby after I get out of the hospital on Wednesday. lol
Let the sniveling begin. :D

http://busforsaleguide.com/
yugogypsy

Looking over that Potential Project

Post by yugogypsy »

Well Headache,

I assume you'll be checking for obvious rust, that was my biggest fear with Pit Stop, but she's remarkably sound.

Strange noises when the engine runs are a dead give away, bad colour with any of the fluids is an obvious sign of problems, as would be noisy brakes, sloppy steering, signs of wear on the inner or outer edges of the tires indicating an alignment problem, wires under the dash that lead to nowhere, things like that.

And I bet a lot of you guys thought I wasn't mechanically minded :wink: :D

Lois
Bash On Regardless!
Headache

Post by Headache »

I'm back! Just call me Gumby!

Thanks for the info and definitely that link! I may have a trip in my future!

Oh! And strangely enough I have no pain. My sister said that should be an indication of the pain I've lived in the last 3 years if I have no pain now, after a full extraction and my jaw bones being floated.
yugogypsy

Post by yugogypsy »

Hey Headache, that makes two of us, my dentures don't fit so I don't bother with them. Glad to hear you have no pain.
Lois
Bash On Regardless!
dburt

Post by dburt »

Headache, always look for excessive wear on the edges or corners of the brake and clutch pedals. Lots of folks will tell you that the bus "only has 53,534 original miles", since some of the older odometers can only go up to 99,999 miles. But lots of wear on the pedals is a dead give away that it has been around once or more, or the odometer has been changed. Also the steering wheel will show more wear on the rim where a driver's hands would be gripping the wheel once it has been around one or more times 'on the clock'.

As Lois has already pointed out, rust is a big issue, check it out underneath on the frame, and sheet metal around wheel openings, stairwells, etc. If it is very rusty, it will be a 'leaverite' bus- as in: "leave her 'rite there and run away quick!" :)
Stealth Camper

Post by Stealth Camper »

If you get it from a school district, you can sometimes get the maintenance record. That can be pretty good thing to see what is 'new' and has some life left, as well as showing up any problem areas that happen over and over.
Headache

Insurance

Post by Headache »

Okay next topic for consideration...insurance.

Since I'll most likely be getting a bus that is not legally considered an RV and then doing some quickie permanent looking solutions for the RV tag, how would I go about insuring it and what companies have you used?

I have Progressive right now which also has RV insurance. However, they are pretty pricey depending on location and I'm not in the know regarding how they handle claims and the like for RV's. They also like to get pictures at least when it concerns my car. I've also been reading some accounts on other sites how insurance companies that handle RV's as an aside from regular car insurance aren't always the best way to go when something bad happens since they "know" cars and RV's aren't a commonly handled thing. I have no idea about towed vehicles but I assume they do cover them.

Your thoughts please.
yugogypsy

Post by yugogypsy »

I was planning to bring my project home with a permit when I get it, and then have it inspected for RV status when it's done--standard procedure up here.

I'm still looking for a bus that moves itself, I know what I want, just might be hard to get. Sure could murder a so called "friend" who had a GMC shortie crushed not long ago--just because he didn't want to fix it! :shock: :x

Some people are such fools--have more dollars than sense.

Anybody looking for any odd bits of this and that? Rick and I have started Spring Cleaning Inside and Out. Rick is going to have another bonfire and I'm going to be doing some housework.

Ezrablu, I'm making you a present, it's for you, not your bus, I'll crochet you an afghan for "Bluebird of Happiness"

Hope everyone has a great day--and guys, no grumbling, I knit socks if anybody needs a pair.

Hugs
Lois
Bash On Regardless!
Stealth Camper

Post by Stealth Camper »

Progressive would never talk to me about a school bus RV. They would talk about transit conversion, but they wanted to see what I did. Or would do when I got it done.

State Farm insured my school bus for a pretty cheap price. Got liability only because I hadn't done anything yet. They said they would do comp/collision on it based on what I declared the 'value' to be. Would also discuss that based on what I showed them in terms of receipts, work done, etc. I have cars and house with them, too, and get the feeling they wouldn't do it without that other stuff.

RV through Good Sam's Club seems to be pretty good but have talked with them a few times over the years and they just don't really seem to understand what a school bus conversion would be. They are used to talking Prevost, MCI, etc for conversions. Not sure how that would work out. They are good for more "normal" RV's.

I guess it boils down to the fact that I really don't have much of a clue and have just written a bunch of stuff that goes around the barn without really getting anywhere much.
Dennis The Bus Dweller
Seasoned Nomadicista

Post by Dennis The Bus Dweller »

I know a lot of guys from the other skoolie groups have gone with GMAC and got good prices :wink:
Peace along the way
Dennis the bus dweller N.Y.
Headache

Post by Headache »

Dennis The Bus Dweller wrote:I know a lot of guys from the other skoolie groups have gone with GMAC and got good prices :wink:
Would you provide me with some links to the discussions or maybe a gloss over description? Did GMAC insure their buses before they were officially RV's or only after the conversions?

I'm leaning more toward finding a coach at this time rather than a schoolie. Not sure if that makes a difference in the grand scheme of insurance.
Dennis The Bus Dweller
Seasoned Nomadicista

1 group is "school conversion nuts @ yahoo the guy "Arkie" is a little grumpy but is a really bright guy and the other group is "skoolie conversions @ yahoo" this is a little more laid back and is most of the folks that got tossed from "Arkies" group }:o) The insurance question comes up alot in those groups 8)

PS: I insured 3 buses/home's on wheels over the years without as much as a photo :D I don't remember what I paid for my skoolie but my 4905 is $450 and the 4106 is $350 per year 8)
Peace along the way
Headache

Post by Headache »

Sweet Dennis thanks for the additional info. I'm assuming you're using GMAC as well.
Dennis The Bus Dweller
Seasoned Nomadicista

Nope, I have Progressive
Peace along the way