My Ugly Bus

Discussions about all things to do with buses, trucks, and the homes made within them.

Moderator: TMAX

Lostranger

My Ugly Bus

Post by Lostranger »

We named the bus "Kramden" after Ralph Kramden who drove a city bus on The Honeymooners.

Kramden has a 6v92 TA mated to an Allison V731 three speed plus lockup automatic. The original final drive was 513. That was the lowest of three available when the bus was new. The top speed with that gearing was 61 and the mpg was around 6. In 2004, I bought a complete but not running bus just to get the ring and pinion. The seller told me it was geared 410, which was the highest available. After I paid to have it hauled in and removed the third member, I discovered a 456 gear set. We put it in anyway. The higher gearing gave me a top speed of 67, and the mpg went to about 7.5. I'm not in any hurry when we travel, but these busses with 410 sometimes get 10 mpg.

The engine has "enough" power for all but serious climbing (we live in the mountains), but I've never been happy with the two stroke. This one pours oil. Apparently it has a bad rear main seal. At some point I'll have to pull the engine. What happens then will depend on what resources we have available.

My first choice will be to buy a later model transit with V drive and a DD Series 50 and swap both engine and transmission into Kramden. If that's not an option, I'll tear down the Silver 92 and rebuild it if necessary. I'd love to ditch the 2 stroke. A Series 50 would have comparable power, much higher efficiency and no peeing oil.

All this will have to wait until the body, interior and tires are up to snuff. I have two new tires on steer axle, but all four drives are bad.

Jim
Stealth Camper

Post by Stealth Camper »

There is an old biker saying I learned in my misspent youth,
"Ain't no such thing as too much fun!"

And it's latter years corollary,
"Ain't no such thing as an ugly bus!"
Dennis The Bus Dweller
Seasoned Nomadicista

Post by Dennis The Bus Dweller »

"Ain't no such thing as an ugly bus!"
Here Here! 8)
Peace along the way
Dennis the bus dweller N.Y.
Lostranger

My Ugly Bus

Post by Lostranger »

The main reason Kramden looks ugly to me is that I know what it's supposed to look like. After all your encouraging comments, I'll redouble my efforts to make the vision reality. I'll post more photos as I make progress. I'll try to get some interior shots up in the next couple of days.

Jim
Headache

Post by Headache »

I'm jealous of all that real estate surrounding Kramden! What a view!!