Pit Stop is coming home SOON!

Discussions about all things to do with buses, trucks, and the homes made within them.

Moderator: TMAX

yugogypsy

Post by yugogypsy »

I am back, all backed up and all.

Added my primary drive to this machine so I can access my files-prest-changeo, I'm here

Lois
Bash On Regardless!
Rudy

Post by Rudy »

Welcome back. I still have the photos you emailed me. I figured it would be best if you posted them with captions.

We missed you while you were away.
Got love? Give love.
yugogypsy

Post by yugogypsy »

Uh Rudy, I still haven't figured out how to post :oops: and I put the captions with the pictures I sent you.

Good to be back

Lois :)
Bash On Regardless!
Rudy

Post by Rudy »

OH! I saved the pics but not the captions. I may post the pics soon. It takes a while to get them posted. Perhaps you can provide captions once the photos appear.
Got love? Give love.
yugogypsy

Post by yugogypsy »

Okay, put numbers beside them and I'll write out what they are in a separate post

Hugs
Lois
Bash On Regardless!
yugogypsy

Post by yugogypsy »

Well I'm getting rid of old junk and already collecting things to outfit Pit Stop when we finish the house.

One of my neighbors was moving out, so I asked for a hanging bamboo screen she'd thrown on the burn pile--to hide the "bathroom" corner behind.

I also got a laundry sink for washing vegetables before I bring them in the house.

Going to clean some more of my bathroom today. Then I have one of those boxes that got put away all scrambled up to sort out. I'm going to dump it out on a sheet on the floor.

I have several of those to go through and I'm not looking forward to it.

Lois :(
Bash On Regardless!
Jones'n4chrome

Re: Pit Stop is coming home SOON!

Post by Jones'n4chrome »

yugogypsy wrote:Well I'm getting rid of old junk and already collecting things to outfit Pit Stop when we finish the house.

One of my neighbors was moving out, so I asked for a hanging bamboo screen she'd thrown on the burn pile--to hide the "bathroom" corner behind.

I also got a laundry sink for washing vegetables before I bring them in the house.

Going to clean some more of my bathroom today. Then I have one of those boxes that got put away all scrambled up to sort out. I'm going to dump it out on a sheet on the floor.

I have several of those to go through and I'm not looking forward to it.

Yeah, I hate sorting boxes of stuff also, but I always feel better when it's finished. Good luck Lois.
yugogypsy

Post by yugogypsy »

Thanks Chuck,

I work early at my volunteer job tomorrow and stay late because we have to clean the freezer and I may be gifted with some foodstuffs as well as bread for my horse and lettuce for my hens.

Been a slim month around here with lots of nasty bills! :cry:

Lois
Bash On Regardless!
yugogypsy

Post by yugogypsy »

Rick has slowly been putting in doubled sheets of 6 mil poly for side windows, then we'll figure out how to get the front doors off as they are seized open and the rod for shutting them is gone.

I've got a door I can lengthen to fit if necessary-it'll be a weird fit too as the bottom step is bent-has a hump in the middle from being moved by tractor all those years on the farm.

So I'll be knitting up a BIG draft stopper and putting that at the bottom of the door.

I feel odd, I have to practically move out of my house so everything can be fixed, and I think all the sorting and shuffling boxes is getting to me! :banghead:

Quick-somebody send me a hug and a bowl of Rudy's Spam & Potato soup

Bash On Regardless!
rlaggren

Post by rlaggren »

HUG-YA

For you Lois.

Redecorating sure can be hellish on the personal side.

Rufus
yugogypsy

Post by yugogypsy »

The redecorating is the easy part,,,its taking the house to bits that is the headache, backache, and neck-ache around here-also a giant pain in the butt because of how it was put together.

We have to strip the house to the frame inside, get re-wired, then insulate and put the walls and ceilings back together.

We have to finish the basement properly and that means ceilings too, but by the time we're done, we should have cut the heating bill by 2/3rds.

The whole house except for a little bit that we did--is R-7, I'm going R-20 in outside walls, R 12 in the inside walls & R-28 in the ceilings, and the same in the crawlspace ceiling.

Plus it all has to be finished properly with plywood sheeting, this house was built before the 1st building code and is a scary mix of rotten wiring and old dry wood.

We're using minimal power to reduce the fire hazard and keep the bill for said power down.

I figure 7 years before the house and yard are fixed, painted and the yard fenced, plus painting my roadside stand, the chicken coop and the barn.

Long job and LOTS of Frustration happening here.

Lois
Bash On Regardless!
rlaggren

Post by rlaggren »

Slow and steady gets you there.

When reducing heating costs, THE major fix is to make your "shell" (the outside wall of the house) air tight - no leaks anywhere, not even at the windows and doors. Anything else is just decoration compare to that. I did it a couple years ago at the friends bungalo. It had wood plank siding which resembled a sieve. We sealed it all using 15# tar paper cut into strips that fit the width of the stud bays +2" on each side - usually that meant a strip was about 18" wide. Do it again I might just unrole the tar paper and run it in/out/in/out across the walls over everything - the idea is to keep the wind out of the stud-bay where you're going to put your insulation so you can't just run it straight across the inside of the walls. We got the cheapest gunk that would come out of a cartridge and ran a fat bead up each stud close to the corner against the outside siding (this is from the inside); putting the gunk on the studs and not the siding means the siding can be removed/repair w/out destroying your work because the tar paper is not attached to the siding anywhere. Then lay the strip of tar paper into the stud bay and force it tightly into the corners and smooth it against the goo on the stud and hit the 2" flaps (which folded out against each stud) with lots of staples. Had to remove ALL the nails and sharp stuff sticking through the siding first, though; used a grinder with a cut-off disk. Took about a month of off/on labor, but the result was night and day. Remember if you overlap the tar paper, that you want a drop of water running down the OUTSIDE of the paper to stay OUTSIDE the paper - so overlap it in the right direction - ie. work from the top down.

This is stupid mindless labor that needs a good loud radio to numb the mind, but it's easy to do and it's really the most important part of keeping a house warm. The 2nd most important part is sealing all the holes the run into the attic and crawl space - around every single wire, pipe, duct, hole that you find in the tops and bottoms of you stud spaces and on your floor and ceiling. The 3rd most important is sealing up around where the doors and windows are installed so wind doesn't blow through; the tar paper should have done some of that but there will likely be lot of little cracks around the frames.

When you do insulation you want no spaces left inside the wall. The fiberglass bats you get are HD are cheap and easy to handle but really niggly hard to get installed right because you have to slice a groove for each and every wire, pipe, electrical box - anything that take space inside your wall. Otherwise, if you just push the insulation into the stud space, it'll scrunch up around wires or whatever and leave spaces which will greatly reduce the insulation value. The best insulation is probably the celluose or loose fiberglass that you blow in because it sifts and settles around everything and fills all the spaces and plugs any little holes you missed when you were sealing the shell. Only issue for the cellluose is that it settles over 6 months so unless it's put into a wall cavity fairly densely to start with you'll end up with a couple inches at the top with no insulation after a year. If you have a "slow remodel" with the wall unfinished for a few months, then you can simply go back to top off any spaces that appear.

You hold the insulation in with a 6-mil poly sheet run around all the walls and ceiling, overlapping the seams about 6" and gluing together the seam with 2 beads of some cheap caulk. Poke a hole at the top of each wall cavity to blow in insulation and seal it up later. Use two beads of caulk to seal the poly to the framing at floor and ceiling; you are trying to seal up the inside of your house completely with this poly. It's not for the wind (which you solved with the tar paper - this is your vapor barrier and it's important because it keeps the moisture from your breath and cooking and bathing from getting into the wall cavities where it will meet the outside (cold) wall and condense into water and wet the inside of you wall; that's why you seal the poly at the overlaps carefully with 2 beads of caulk. You don't want your wall to become a wet sponge. It's more a problem in places it gets good and cold outside for long periods, but it's an issue most places.

The order to do this to avoid one messing up the other:
1) Infiltration barrier (as they call the tar paper and caulking)
2) Plumbing/electrical/gas/duct work
2a) Go back and reseal all the extra holes the subs have made in your house.
3) Vapor barrier
4) Insulate

To get fancy/dancy put in storm windows/doors.

Nothing to it. <g>

Rufus
yugogypsy

Post by yugogypsy »

Pit stop is about to have another update, her doors (which are stuck open) will be coming off and we will fit a new door before winter.

Clean up goes on, had some trees down for firewood and got rid of some more scrap metal

Cheers
Lois
Bash On Regardless!
dburt

Post by dburt »

I hope you are getting good prices for your scrap metal up there Lois. We get about $200 per ton for 'clean' steel down here right now. However, that is getting alot of still good old agricultural machinery into the scrap yard where it will no longer be available for repair and reuse. Things like old tractors, plows, discs, cultivators, etc are disappearing fast. The other day a friend told me he counted 23 old John Deere tractors lined up for crushing at one scrap yard. That almost sent me into conniption fits! :shock:

I read in the news that the USA's greatest and biggest export to China was our scrap metal, and our biggest import from them was the items we buy at WalMart. In fact the news said that over 85% of all goods in Walmart come from China!
It seems something is wrong with this picture! :cry:
yugogypsy

Post by yugogypsy »

We only get half that, and a lot of our metal goes to a friend to help him survive when we have enough.

He took the old water heater and everything else I had on the list this past Sunday.

We have the garden and are eating well and he has a family to feed.

We get the return in barter, if we need something metal, we can ask for it.

Rick works for Bob tomorrow and will be bringing home more slab wood from the mill to re-vamp a few garden beds that have rotten sides.

What little bit of garden we planted is growing well, but the cooler than normal weather has produced a slug population explosion and we had a deer get in where the fence was low, so Rick fixed that.

My DEAR (not) horse ate the greens we planted in a tub on the front of Pit Stop, but we have re-planted and horse-proofed it with the stepladder, some lawn chairs and some buckets.

Not decorative, but it keeps Buster out of the salad greens! :mrgreen:

Cheers
Lois
Bash On Regardless!