A cool raised roof bus

Discussions about all things to do with buses, trucks, and the homes made within them.

Moderator: TMAX

Rudy

A cool raised roof bus

Post by Rudy »

Here, you can see a raised roof Crown. Look at all the cool other machines around.

Got love? Give love.
Dennis The Bus Dweller
Seasoned Nomadicista

Post by Dennis The Bus Dweller »

Sweet, where the hell did you find that one 8)
Peace along the way
Dennis the bus dweller N.Y.
Rudy

Post by Rudy »

Dennis The Bus Dweller wrote:Sweet, where the hell did you find that one 8)
First, do you know what you are looking at?
Got love? Give love.
Standaddy

Post by Standaddy »

That's the Boss-man's bus, and I think that's his electric mower, can't remember the name just now, hhmmm, maybe Electrak, by I forgot who.
Stan
Dennis The Bus Dweller
Seasoned Nomadicista

Post by Dennis The Bus Dweller »

:D
Peace along the way
Dennis the bus dweller N.Y.
Rudy

Post by Rudy »

I see that you guys have fond attachments to all that is Sharkey's site.
Got love? Give love.
Standaddy

Post by Standaddy »

Yep. The man's a real whiz, and I'd love to have him for a neighbor. But I doubt he's gonna move to this part of the world anytime soon.
dburt

Post by dburt »

I just hope Sharkey remembered to either finish loading or unloading that motor off the trailer, or at least raise it up a little if he was going to be transporting it that way :D
Dualfuel

Post by Dualfuel »

Okay, gotta ask,
What brand engine is that and what is its specs?
DF
Rudy

Post by Rudy »

Dualfuel wrote:Okay, gotta ask,
What brand engine is that and what is its specs?
DF
Sharkey knows, and I think he will answer that question soon.
Got love? Give love.
Sharkey
Original Founder

Post by Sharkey »

Gee, I guess someone must be bored....

Here's the original post text from 2006:
Sharkey wrote:The engine was something that came out of a freebie car that I was given over 20 years ago. It was complete and probably ran at one time, but I now have no use for an AMC 196.7 cu.in. in-line six cylinder gas engine. Off to the scrap yard with it. Pulling it out of the bushes and up onto the driveway wasn't much trouble using the tractor and a chain, skidding it along a couple of timbers to keep it from digging into the soil.

Once I had it up on the driveway, and after it puked a bunch of dirty oil al over the ground, I had a problem. My little VW diesel engines are easy to move around using the hand truck, but this thing probably weighs at least 400-450 pounds, and the hand truck was useless against it. I needed to get it over to the car shed where I could get a come-along on it and lift it off the ground to drain the oil and put it into the back of the utility trailer for it's last trip. Dragging it further with the tractor was out of the question, as it would tip over and spew oil all over again (I tried that...). What I needed was a way to lift and transport the engine.

Never having been short on ingenuity, I fabricated a lift boom in the bed of my pickup bed utility trailer. An 8' 4"x4" was placed in the bed, sticking out over the tailgate. As the bed of my trailer is rotted out, and normally covered by a lay-in sheet pf plywood, I was able to chain the front end of the 4x4 to the frame underneath. A stout long chain was attached to this and run along the top of the 4x4, terminating in a carabineer at the end of the timber. The come-along was hooked to this to lift the engine.

I connected the trailer to the back of the tractor and backed it up to the engine sitting in the driveway and hooked the come-along up to the chain on the engine. It all worked pretty well, right up until the trailer started taking the weight, at which point the back tires of the tractor left the driveway.

Switch to "Plan B". Substitute my old Turbo Diesel Ranger for the tractor. This time, the engine was lifted just enough to clear the roadway and the back of the truck stayed on the ground.

Almost that is. When I tried to pull away, there wasn't enough weight on the right side tire to provide any traction, and it just spun on the grass. I needed more weight on the back of the truck. Fortunately, in my pile of "useful one of these days" junk was an open-top 55 gallon drum in very good condition. Putting this into the back of the truck and filling it 3/4 full of water did the trick.

Here's the set-up after I cleared the side of the driveway and before I pulled into the car shed to set it down:

Dualfuel

Post by Dualfuel »

Yeah, I would have said Falcon engine but the valve cover would have been blue. At that resolution I couldn't really make out the details...
Hmmm Hornet perhaps? AMC sorta lost me with the Pacer and I never looked back after they came out with that. Liked my American with the 327 engine but somebody else liked it more.
Thanks Mr Sharkey!
Sharkey
Original Founder

Post by Sharkey »

Hornet, no much older than that, 1960 Classic Cross Country station wagon. I collected them for a number of years, put a lot of miles on two of them.
Stealth Camper

Post by Stealth Camper »

Had a friend with a 1961 4 door sedan Rambler American. 3 speed. Clutch linkage had a strip of rubber down near the tranny that I guess acted as a damping mechanism to smooth out the clutch feel. Looked like it was cut out from a piece of tire. Thought it might have been a kludge some one had put in, but found another one in salvage that had exactly the same thing. ??

Probably two people had the same idea to fix it.

Cool little car to drive around in. (Kind of like the '61 Mercury Comet station wagon - I had one of those.) Boxy little not exotic cars. Just kind of fun.
Rudy

Post by Rudy »

The 1961 Comet had those cat's eye taillights, didn't it?
Got love? Give love.