How to keep yer bus running while sitting?

Discussions about all things to do with buses, trucks, and the homes made within them.

Moderator: TMAX

TinnedFish

How to keep yer bus running while sitting?

Post by TinnedFish »

Alright,

This question gets me a different answer from everyone I ask, but I figure you guys w/ experience probably know what's best.

I've got 2 busses that will be running great and really should be on the road every week. But they're going to sit and be our homes for a while. I don't want to drain/remove/disable the engines unless you convince me I really have to...

My intended weekly routine for vehichle preservation:

1. Fire up the busses every week for 1/2 hour
2. Tires off the ground, and skirted
3. heater plugs in the engine for the sub freezing nights (if I can find em to fit)
4. winter grade antifreeze in the radiator
5. Gas tanks always at least 1/2 full and stabil-ized

Will that be enough? Is there anything I can do for the rig w/ hydraulic brakes, or will I just need to flush/fill every spring?

Thanks
TinnedFish
Forgottenhighway

How to store a bus

Post by Forgottenhighway »

Tin,
The only things I would add to your list is...if your rigs are gas powered drill a hole in the bottom of the muffler (1/8 inch) at the lowest point to allow condensation to escape. This doesn't seem to be to much of an issue with diesel powered rigs. If your tires are off the ground you might as well throw it in gear to keep thing lubricated and prevent seals from sticking to the surfaces they seal against....put it in first or low and let things rotate. Concerning your brakes ..if you flush once a year that should keep the moisture level down. You could also consider converting to silicone brake fluid because it is not hydroscopic (does not attract water)
I hope this helped
Cheers, Pat
Sharkey
Original Founder

Post by Sharkey »

I think that starting them up every week is a bit excessive, but if it makes you happy, do it... I used to start the Housetruck once each month and thought that was enough.

While they're running, pump the brakes a few times to move the pistons and seals in the master and wheel cylinders.

Also, push in the clutch and make sure you can put it in gear. My truck seems to like to stick the clutch plate to the flywheel if I don't do this often.
TinnedFish

Thanks

Post by TinnedFish »

Excellent!

The Muffler trick, and putting it in gear were missing from my lists!

The honest truth is I'll probably get the tires up on blocks/wood, but I doubt I'll get around to lifting them far enough let the wheels spin. I'd like to, but the nights are sure getting longer and colder.

Thanks
TinnedFish
Dennis The Bus Dweller
Seasoned Nomadicista

Got pics?

Post by Dennis The Bus Dweller »

Hi Tinn

Do you have any pics of your rigs yet? Have you posted any some place? I hope your take a few as you go.
Peace along the way
Dennis the bus dweller N.Y.
TinnedFish

No pics online yet...

Post by TinnedFish »

I've been takin' pics. I'm able to sneak onto the forums while I'm at work. <grin> When I'm not at work, I'm working on the bus! Once the family is actually sheltered in the rigs I'll have time to sit down and whip up a web site. The rains started in earnest this weekend, we're a few weeks behind schedule!

TinnedFish