Electrical Systems

Discussions about all things to do with buses, trucks, and the homes made within them.

Moderator: TMAX

somewhereinusa

Post by somewhereinusa »

I've had good luck with Onan quiet diesel. It they consistently start when it's -20 deg. Biggest problem I have is knowing when it's running, sometimes I can feel it but not always. I currently have an 8000. It will run a full size microwave, portable heater (1500w) and engine block heater (1500w) all at the same time. In summer it's usually just portable air conditioner and microwave. It also runs a converter that charges batteries, it's been so long since I installed it I don't remember current draw, but it's not much.

In another application the same generator runs roof air, microwave two converters (somewhere around 130a DC output) laser printer, BIG dyesub printer and 2 or 3 fans, plus whatever else I might plug in, with no problem at all. Usually for 2 or 3 days constantly except for when I'm sleeping.
Headache

Post by Headache »

somewhereinusa

Post by somewhereinusa »

Yes, that's the one. Sometimes you can find a reconditioned one from Cummans/Onan dealers.
I see that, that is a used one, seems a bit high priced. Mine is 15 months old, bought brand new from Northern Indiana Cummins for under $5500, but I got RV manufacturers price through my son.
I don't know what they consider low hours, I have about 2000 hours on mine, still going strong.
Headache

Post by Headache »

If you don't mind me "bein' nosy", what type/size of portable heater and air conditioner are you using and for what size rig?

If things go well and the bus I want to purchase doesn't end up going down a flooded river, I'll have 40ft(exterior, dk the interior but I assume 35ft) to heat and cool.

It seems summer and other things are taking hold as posting has gone down quite a bit. I was hoping more would chime in before and after "work" about this topic.

I'll definitely be doing the battery/inverter set up first and then save for a nice generator to be installed later. Since I don't know much about them I wanted to start getting some education about them in case I run into that deal that shouldn't be passed up.
somewhereinusa

Post by somewhereinusa »

The semi is a Volvo 610, sleeper is about 48 in. The heater works well enough while sitting in the evenings. Unless it's going to be below 0 I don't usually run it all night, just use lots of blankets.
Air conditioner is one of thesehttp://www.compactappliance.com/AP12000 ... tial_Units It works so so, sitting in the sun in so CA or AZ I have to run the truck and the generator with the airconditioner to keep it below 90 deg. Whoever designs and specs modern semi's should be shot, it has no insulation. Also I have found out that the specs for airconditioners is suspect, because there isn't any regulation about what the numbers mean. (or there wasn't, I think there is now)

That said if I had it to do over I would get a mini split for air. something like thishttp://www.pexsupply.com/LG-LS122CE-115 ... 12373000-p for the truck

I don't think battery/inverter is really suitable for heat or air. There are some units made for semis, but I question whether they would work in the southwest, they are pricy, and a semi runs goes somewhere EVERY day to charge the batteries.
graydawg

Post by graydawg »

About 10 years ago they were having a lot of problems with owner operators installing Rooftop AC and Heat RV units, the roofs didn't have the structure built in to support the additional weight bouncing down the road and were damaging the roofs, they also had problems with the units not built to handle 150 K miles a year as well, that would be a lifetime on most RV's. Most of the truckstops started installing a duct system that fed in through the passenger window, had computer, TV, and phone connections and charged by the hour to be hooked up, was expensive and you had to be parked early in the afternoon to have a parking slot, just never seemed to jive with my running as well, glad I got off the road back then, I want to be comfortable while sleeping, I was always hesitant to sleep at truckstops anyway, too many wrecks and other BS in the parking lots for me.
James in da GRAYDAWG
I ONCE WAS A MIGHTY GREYHOUND
I THEN GOT OLD AND RETIRED
I LOST MY SEATS AND GOT A NEW GIG
I AM NOW A HAULIN SOME OLD DAWGS &
I BECAME THE GRAYDAWG
Headache

Post by Headache »

I loved driving Volvos! I dreamed of owning an 880 back in the day complete with the mini sink! I'm glad I got rid of the Freightshaker when fuel hit $2.80 a gallon and I just knew it wouldn't stop until it was around $4 a gallon! Anyway, Volvos are built for short people! :D

I had thought about going with a split system but heard the heat pump part isn't all that efficient and I could end up using more energy than I intended on.

I definitely want a/c as I'm going to be living in a thermos bottle for the rest of my life and it will dehumidify as well.

They don't insulate big trucks because the assumption is that when people are inside the truck is moving, therefore a/c and heat is running. It's just another stick it to the driver scam just like trying to get out of reimbursing drivers in some way for non-movement when paying mileage.

I was going with the battery bank and inverter because of some of Sharkey's articles I'm still not sure I understand completely and on Mark O's recommendation. I'm still going to need a generator at some point as I will be using some hefty appliances and I doubt the inverter will be able to keep up. But again, I don't know what I'm talking about really. Especially since I found a washer/dryer unit and a mini-dishwasher!