Converting to Tee Drive/Need Drive Axle

Discussions about all things to do with buses, trucks, and the homes made within them.

Moderator: TMAX

Lostranger

Post by Lostranger »

The decision has been long in coming, but it's here. As part of outfitting our 35' Flxible Metro transit for full timing, I'm going to ditch the Vee drive. I'm aware that I'll have to stretch the frame/body some to do this, but so be it. I already have the 13 speed Road Ranger, and I've looked at several DD Series 50 engines. I'll probably major both engine and trans before installing.

What I need now is a complete Tee drive axle assembly, end to end with brakes and maxis. I assume that something like an MC 8 or 9 would work, but I seek the wisdom of this forum. I'm not overly concerned about the final drive ratio since the RR has lots of room on both ends. The bus is 96 wide.

I've not found any web sites of other such conversions, but if you know of one, I'd like to have the url.

I have an open mind, so don't hold back if you feel you have something worthwhile to contribute.

Best to all,

Jim in NC
Lostranger

Post by Lostranger »

A fellow on BNO suggested that I flip a truck axle. Says I mainly need to reverse drain and fill plugs.

Sounds reasonable, so I'll look into it. Still looking for ideas, though.

Jim in NC
dburt

Post by dburt »

Contact the folks at: www.richfieldbus.com

They are nice folks, and might have some ideas or suggestions on what you are wanting to do!
Mark R. Obtinario
Seasoned Nomadicista

Post by Mark R. Obtinario »

Fllipping a drive axle will allow you to use any truck axle. Just make sure you change the drain, fill, and vent holes.

My concern is that most of the V-drive buses were frameless unibody/monocoque construction. Changing everything is not going to be easy or inexpensive.

I am not saying don't do it or that it can't be done. I am just saying you might be better served getting a bus with the power package you want and doing your conversion over.
Lostranger

Post by Lostranger »

Mark,

Thanks for your thoughtful post. I said at the beginning that this decision has not been quickly or easily made. I know what I'm up against.

First off, the power package I want does not exist in any production bus, so that route is not an option. I like the Series 50 engine, and I am determined to have a 13 speed.

Second, we want to stay with a 35' coach. Many of the places we like to go will not tolerate 40, much less 45 feet. Admittedly, some places (the Cataloochee area of the Great Smokey Mountains Park, for instance) don't allow 35', but we'll take the toad into those.

Third, we like the Flex and want to keep it. I've come close to scrapping it a time or two, but this is a ten year relationship, and we have much time, thought, money and labor already invested. Last year I seriously considered converting a semi trailer for full timing, but that investigation just brought me back to the bus.

Fourth, I want to see if I can do it. The finished product that lives in my head is a sweet machine.

So.... Any helpful advice on pulling off this conversion will be much appreciated.

Jim in NC
Mark R. Obtinario
Seasoned Nomadicista

Post by Mark R. Obtinario »

So how are you going to hang the power package when there isn't frame rails as most of us understand?

Modifying the forward bulkhead of the engine compartment can compromise the structural integrity of the bus.

How are you going to deal with the extremely short driveshaft a T-drive will have in a bus that was a V-drive?

I know some of the Flx and Eagle highway buses used an over the shoulder arrangement going through a drop box to make it work. But dropboxes are by definition not very efficient.
Lostranger

Post by Lostranger »

The current power package bolts to a removable subframe/cradle that bolts to the body. I'm currently operating on the assumption that I can fabricate a similar arrangement for the new stuff. Do you think that's not doable, Mark? If that presents an engineering impossibility, I will start over with a different shell.

Thanks again for your input.

Jim in NC
Lostranger

Post by Lostranger »

This discussion has opened a flood gate of information on BNO. I've learned more about the body engineering of my Flex in one day than I had learned in the previous ten years.

My opinion at this point is that I was headed in a serious wrong direction. The tee drive conversion would be fighting too many laws of physics and too many "experimental" engineering decisions by those who designed my bus. Apparently, just removing the original engine requires the use of a body cradle to keep the body from splaying out of shape. I love a challenge, but I hate acting silly.

So.... It's back to the drawing, or rather thinking, board. I suspect the Flex and I are about to part company after ten years.

Thanks to everyone who has contributed. Mark, your questions were especially helpful.

Jim in NC