Further Disinterred

Discussions about all things to do with buses, trucks, and the homes made within them.

Moderator: TMAX

Sharkey
Original Founder

Further Disinterred

Post by Sharkey »

The restless Kesey genes are up and running hot again. Zany Kesey is attempting to resurrect his fathers famous bus Further, which has been rotting away peacefully in a swamp for the last several decades. The eventual goal is to restore the bus, for what purpose remains unknown.

Anyone interested in being a part of this monumental and obviously historical event (Image) is invited to drop over to the Kesey farm (Pleasant Hill, Oregon) on Oct 24 &25 for the first steps of what will be a long process.

http://www.key-z.com

Damien

TheElectronicAirCondintionedAssistedErgot-DerivedExamination

Post by Damien »

From a sociological / anthropological perspective ... not to mention from a literary standpoint ... I take this rather seriously.
As much as I'd love to be there, shouldn't someone call the Smithsonian (1st choice) or at least contact the right parties at the Rock'n Roll Hall of Fame (last choice). I don't think the Neil Cassidy Institute has been taking calls since about '68, and clearly the Kesey Museum is way behind the times ... but is finally getting itself out of the swamp.
Furthers full restoration is definitely an idea whose time has come, and unfortunately it's the teenagers visiting the Smithsonian in 2062 who will be the real benefactors, long after we're all gone.

Once again I'm at a remote location and have forgotten my password, which Sharkey made-up so I'd never forget it. But I did.

Damien of Firetruck Fame
Sharkey
Original Founder

Re: TheElectronicAirCondintionedAssistedErgot-DerivedExamina

Post by Sharkey »

Damn it, Damien, when I change your password so you can get into your account, go edit your profile and change the password to something you will remember. Or maybe I should either delete your membership so you can post as a guest, or else create a thread with your password in it so you can look it up when you visit the forum! Hey, that's a good idea! Maybe I'll just make everyones password visible, it would save a lot of confusion!

As for the bus, I think that they should leave it right where it sits. It takes a long time to grow a majestic mantle of moss like that, and a lot of small mammals and insects will lose their homes if the project goes through. That and I think that it would be just as useful and respectful to dig up Kesey himself and do a restoration job on him for exhibition in some future museum. The bus wasn't the trip, only the conveyance. It's job was done when the Pranksters got back to the West coast back in 1964.
Sharkey
Original Founder

Post by Sharkey »

Well, I never said it couldn't be done, just that it shouldn't be done:

For the full (?) story:
http://www.key-z.com/

An archived copy of the Oregonian story (sans photos) is here.
dadeo

Post by dadeo »

they're not gonna do the same thing to neal cassidy are they??(God forbid) If not, who's gonna drive it??
Damien

Post by Damien »

I wrote a nice long-loving-letter to one of the curators at the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame ... to no avail. Basically telling them to get with the program ("harbingers of a tectonic shift in American Culture") now, before they have to bid millions in 2022, to make it a key exhibit. Well, that still leaves the Smithsonian. I'd put it just down the hall from the Wright brothers flyer ... but that's just my opinion.
Sharkey
Original Founder

Post by Sharkey »

It's the bus project that won't die, it just keeps getting dug up again and again:

Associated Press article, Effort to restore Ken Kesey's bus gets a flat.