Smoking Brakes

Discussions about all things to do with buses, trucks, and the homes made within them.

Moderator: TMAX

ezrablu

Smoking Brakes

Post by ezrablu »

My son took my bus for a spin...about 10 or 12 miles probably. When he got it back to my land he noticed the back brakes on the drivers side were smoking. I'm assuming it's the brakes that were smoking.

I haven't driven the bus since last fall so could it just be from sitting? If so, can someone tell me what I need to do? I remember reading something about breaks sticking...but I couldn't find the thread.
ezrablu
1991 Bluebird International
360 DT - 6 Speed
Standaddy

Post by Standaddy »

Hmmm. Can't remember what kinda brakes your bus has. Air or Hydraulic? If hydraulic, then what kind of parking brake? Maybe it was left on? A 10 or 12 mile ride probably wouldn't involve enough hard braking to cause properly functioning brakes to get hot enough to smoke, I think. But a parking brake out of adjustment might be loose enough to drive, but cause enough drag to do so.
If air operated brakes, then it's possible that one wheel's brake didn't release properly, causing the same drag. If it was a blown diaphragm in one of the spring-brakes (parking brake), it would have left that brake on, but would also have a sizeable air leak, which you could easily hear. You could set the parking brake, get under the bus and look at the position of the slack adjusters, then release the brake and check again, to see if they released. BUT PLEASE CHOCK A WHEEL ADEQUATELY! We don't want you to get ran over slowly, or quickly for that matter!
Hope this helps.
ezrablu

Post by ezrablu »

Thank you, Standaddy...I (think) I have hydraulic brakes :oops: Since I don't hear air I'm guessing it's not that.

I was not kidding last year when I said on here I know VERY little about diesel, buses or mechanics. :screwy:

The first thing I had asked him is if the parking brake was off for sure and he yes....but it's good possibility it's not functioning properly after sitting and being on all winter.

I'll chock the wheels :thumbup: and I'll take a good look at it all today and see what I find.
Last edited by ezrablu on Thu Jun 09, 2011 1:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
ezrablu
360 DT - 6 Speed
splummer

Post by splummer »

keep us posted i had the same problem last year, my bus sat in the yard during the high diesel price
just because you ride the bus , it doesnt make you a bus person
the bus stopped and i got on and thats how it all began
Jones'n4chrome

Post by Jones'n4chrome »

ezrablu

Post by ezrablu »

:D hiiii Chuck! lol...I remember that commercial!

I didn't get out to my land to check out my bus brake problem today. I was lucky to catch a ride to town to buy some groceries so I snagged the offer since we were down to 1 roll of toilet paper and zero dog food :roll:

It was hotter than beans again today anyway but the temperature is supposed to drop 30° for the next several days :thumbup: so tomorrow I'm gonna head out there and take the bus for another spin, start on the pine siding and mow the lawn which has grown INCREDIBLY the past week because of all the humidity :shock:

I have some photos of some of the work my son and I have done the past month which I'll try to get posted shortly on my thread
ezrablu
360 DT - 6 Speed
Mark R. Obtinario
Seasoned Nomadicista

Post by Mark R. Obtinario »

IIRC, you have wet brakes on your bus.

Also, IIRC, your bus chassis was built by IHC.

If that is all true, you most likely have disc brakes on all four corners.

Since your bus has been sitting for quite a bit your rotors will have had some rust build up on them.

As you first start driving after sitting for a while your brakes will need to shine the rotors up. As that is happening it will cause excess drag on the brakes.

Excess drag can cause the brakes to smoke.

Look through the wheels at the rotors. If they are not shiny bright with no rust showing you will still have some brake smoking issues. If all four rotors are shiny bright I would be surprised if you have any smoking brake issues until you head down a hill too fast.

After your inspection let us know what you found out.

I wish we had some of your heat and lack of rain. It is still cold and rainy around here.
ezrablu

Post by ezrablu »

Mark, thanks again for your expertise...I haven't gone back out there because "other things" seemed to call for my attention a little louder but as soon I do go, the first thing I'll be doing is taking a good look at things...I'll update as soon as I do. HOPEFULLY I'll get out there today.

BTW, the weather up hear took a drastic turn the very night I posted about our heat wave. Temperature went from 90 something to in the 30's that night :shock: Ever since then it's been cloudy, rainy....60's in the day and 40's at night and supposed to be like that for another week. CRAZY WEATHER :!:
ezrablu
360 DT - 6 Speed
Stealth Camper

Post by Stealth Camper »

Dare we say, "global climate change"... lest the representatives of big oil or coal see it and pounce on me??

Weather seems pretty wild all through the middle and east of country. West? Not sure what normal is out there beyond perfect every day in San Diego and rainy every day in Oregon and Washington.