We are back in business

Discussions about all things to do with buses, trucks, and the homes made within them.

Moderator: TMAX

stuartcnz
Site Admin

We are back in business

Post by stuartcnz »

Sharkey managed to merge all of the pre-7/19 lost topics and posts into the forum, without losing any of the posts made since then. Not the simplest of tasks!

I have put some of the old forums back into the public arena, with more to come.

More updates to the way the forum works are on the way. In the mean time lets get back to doing what we do best here, and use the forum.
Last edited by stuartcnz on Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post by Guest »

How about all the photos that were in all the posts.. Some are there.. others have those question marks in a rectangle symbol like the ones at the bottom of each message. hard to figure what to click on to do what action..

Mike
stuartcnz
Site Admin

Post by stuartcnz »

Mike, no photo's are stored on the forum itself. Mostly people use tinypic.com or another photo hosting site to host their photo's. Usually photo's go missing when the owners move them, which is outside the control of the forum.

The rectangles at the bottom of the posts? I don't get that on my browsers. We no longer have the nice graphics at the bottom, but I do get clickable text instead. Not pretty I know, but until I do an update of the forum software, that's as good as it gets for now.

What browser are you using? It maybe a browser issue which is stopping you from seeing any clickable text.

I'm hoping to upgrade the forum software in the next week or two, which will make the site much more visually appealing.

Post by Guest »

Hiya,
My page view shows all the options like post a reply etc as little boxes with a question mark in them?
It doesn't matter how many times I refresh the page.

I can still click on them...(as I did to post this reply..) but whats up? I am using Safari. I'll try mozilla out..
yoeddynz

Post by yoeddynz »

BTW- the above comment was me. I had forgotten to log in. Its still giving boxes everywhere with question marks in them. :?
stuartcnz
Site Admin

Post by stuartcnz »

Okay, I have tested a few different browsers on the site.

So far only Firefox and a few other Linux browsers don't have the blank box's.

Firefox is good on Linux, Mac, and XP Windows.

Safari on Mac has box's instead of text, as does Chrome on Mac and Linux.

Internet Exploiter on XP Windows also has the blank box's.

Firefox had no box's but readable, clickable text instead, on Linux, Mac OSX, and XP Windows.

I guess I will have to get onto upgrading the forum software ASAP. In the meantime, I recommend using Firefox to access the site, for those having issues. Opera might be okay, but I don't currently have it installed anywhere to check.
Headache

Post by Headache »

Thank you so much for this Stuart. It's very timely since I may be purchasing my new mobile project this week. I'm very, very grateful.

My offer of having voice chat available is still open to both Mac and Windows users. Ventrilo still doesn't have a Linux version to beta(since 2005!) so Linux users would have to install a client script like Mangler to access my server. I have no idea how well it works.

There is also Mumble which is free open source but I can't use it because the Mumble overlay doesn't play nice with some of my games and things crash.

There are still threads of mine that didn't show up so I'm assuming they were lost or just didn't come through the wash yet. I know one or two were regarding electrical but I can't recall titles.

Good luck in putting things back in place!
Lostranger

We are back in business

Post by Lostranger »

I'm a little confused. Is the forum going to be permanently on mrsharkey.org, or will it be moved back to mrsharkey.com? I don't care which, just curious.

Alex and Hannah in NZ, would love to read more about life in the big housetruck. Where have you been? How are the systems working? What would you change if you could start over?

Stuart, thanks again for taking over.

Best to all,

Jim in NC
stuartcnz
Site Admin

Re: We are back in business

Post by stuartcnz »

Lostranger wrote:I'm a little confused. Is the forum going to be permanently on mrsharkey.org, or will it be moved back to mrsharkey.com? I don't care which, just curious.

Jim in NC
In all likely-hood, it will probably move to a completely new domain altogether. There are a few options for a suitable name on the table, with one that I think is particularly suitable, most likely becoming available in the next couple of weeks.

If/when the forum does relocate to a new domain, we will keep a redirect going from here, to give people time to update their bookmarks. And I will make an announcement on the forum to let everyone know about a move.

Sharkey is still running his site www.mrsharkey.com but has chosen to separate the forum out from it.
stuartcnz
Site Admin

Post by stuartcnz »

Headache wrote: My offer of having voice chat available is still open to both Mac and Windows users.
Thanks for the offer. I want to get a standard chat feature in place first though. And as I intend on upgrading the forum software, that also means finding a different solution to the old one, which won't convert to the new software. I have a couple of options to trial on my local system, so I'll see how they work.