rolling homes

Discussions about all things to do with buses, trucks, and the homes made within them.

Moderator: TMAX

leftlaner

rolling homes

Post by leftlaner »

great job on your site how does a guy find a copy of the rolling homes book you talk so much about on this site
Stan

Post by Stan »

There is a copy for sale on eBay right now. Search on "rolling homes".

Good luck!
Stan Clayton
Sharkey
Original Founder

Post by Sharkey »

Rolling Homes is one of those books that is hard to find used, and even harder to purchase for a reasonable price. The current going rate for an average paperback copy is $125.00, but I have heard of them selling for as much as $195.00. Hardcover editions can cost as much as $500.00 !! Several people I know have gotten the book by checking it out from the library, and "loosing" it, paying the $15.00 or whatever fine (Not that I would recommend such and underhanded scheme, mind you!).

I keep a constant lookout for Rolling Homes and several other books at flea markets, garage sales and used book stores, but until someone finds a forgotten case of this book in a dark corner of some warehouse, I guess it will have to remain elusive.

Here's the ebay sale:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... eName=WDVW

(Funny, Stan, I searched for RH last night and found this same sale before I saw this thread)

A less expensive option (and better, in my opinion) is Roger Beck's Some Turtles Have Nice Shells, which retails for $29.95. More pages, more photos of many of the same vehicles, plus many others. Roger normally has a sale going on ebay, but I searched last night and didn't see one. You can also order off of his web site: http://www.housetrucks.com .
dadeo

Post by dadeo »

also you can get books here:
http://www.rv-busconversions.com/catalogPhoto.html
"Rolling Homes", however, is only available on cd.
I got my copy on Ebay for like.$50 or $60, i think.
ill sell it for 1.5 million $ US!!!!
dadeo

Post by dadeo »

oops, i forgot; I also have "Some Turtles Have Nice Shells", and Sharkey's right: it is very good indeed.
cathy

Rolling Homes

Post by cathy »

Powells.com has one for $60.00. I have the book and it's great but Roger Beck's book " Turtles have shells" (I think) has many more pics. Found a copy of "Roll your own" not too long ago and it is worth getting. Happy hunting.

Cathy
dadeo

Post by dadeo »

where did you find "roll your own" at???
Sharkey
Original Founder

Post by Sharkey »

It's been a while since I checked Roll Your Own out from the public library, but I remember at the time being somewhat confused by many of the tales and quotes included in the text of the book. Not much of it seemed to relate to the vehicles pictured.

Over the summer, I had a RL meeting with a fan of my site who drove all the way from Georgia mostly to visit me and see the Crown and Housetruck, and visit Roger Beck for a couple of hours. Dan (the visitor) told me that much of the book was a tribute to Peter Coyote, and that it would make a lot more sense if I were to read some of Coyote's writings to get some background which would provide a context for the stories. I guess I sould go see if the library even still has RYO, since I have yet to find my own copy.
theotherwaldo

Rolling Homes - online

Post by theotherwaldo »

If you can handle the German language go to:http://www.toms-site.de/rollinghome/start.htm and view Rolling Homes in all its glory. It may be illegal for Americans to use, though, 'cause we have weird copyright laws.
roasting8

Post by roasting8 »

I too, have both "Rolling Homes" and "Some Turtles Have Nice Shells," and in my opinion, "Some Turtles Have Nice Shells" is more informative.

Check Sharkey's review, on his site.
roasting8

Post by roasting8 »

I too, have both "Rolling Homes" and "Some Turtles Have Nice Shells," and in my opinion, "Some Turtles Have Nice Shells" is more informative.

Check Sharkey's review, on his site.
dadeo

Post by dadeo »

here is a site that says itll soon have copies for sale:
http://www.digmodern.com/product/B770546

and there is a site that has the whole book scaned and online....pirated??
Sharkey..should i post the link??
Dennis The Bus Dweller
Seasoned Nomadicista

Rolling Homes

Post by Dennis The Bus Dweller »

Hi Kids

I just got the copy of rolling Homes off of Ebay for $20.50 :lol: It's a soft cover but it is suppose to be in good shape. I think it 5 bucks to mail it. A year or so back I bought on a CD but it will be nice to have the book on my stack.
Peace along the way
Dennis the bus dweller N.Y.
Dennis The Bus Dweller
Seasoned Nomadicista

Rolling Homes

Post by Dennis The Bus Dweller »

Borders has a bunch of copies used for under 100 bucks. I was just there yesterday.
Peace along the way
Dennis the bus dweller N.Y.
Sharkey
Original Founder

Post by Sharkey »

dadeo wrote:there is a site that has the whole book scaned and online....pirated??
Sharkey..should i post the link??
Is that the site that's in German (I think)? If you post it, I won't delete it...