1989 S1600 White Rhino

Discussions about all things to do with buses, trucks, and the homes made within them.

Moderator: TMAX

Stealth Camper

Re: 1989 S1600 White Rhino

Post by Stealth Camper »

And when you mix, the mix MUST be accurate - it will start curing instantly. Could go REAL fast!!

Check around on the prices, but I think you will find the sheets Rufus talked about to be pretty cheap compared to laying it up your self. I lined my food trailer with the stuff and just used contact cement to glue it to the plywood backing. Worked well. Only about $20 a sheet. Plus, sheets are a LOT lighter than layup.

The edge trim and corners - I sealed them with a silicone RTV - bath and kitchen style. But I count on fixing it every few years.

For the resins - either for fiberglass, or using contact cement - you really want to use a good mask, with double filter elements. And chemical filter elements! I get them from Grainger, but any one of that kind of industrial supplier should have them. One thing - Lowe's and Home Depot NEVER have the right stuff!! These chemicals are dangerous!!! As in, the BEST thing that can happen is you get a little buzz, along with some liver damage or something else very nasty. Worst case, you could die quickly from it if the wrong conditions occur. (I've done a little bit of fiberglass, but a LOT of contact cement with kitchen counter type stuff - the effects of the chemicals are both bad.)
Headache

Post by Headache »

I'm sorry I haven't updated for so long. A very few things have gotten done but other issues came up. Basically same ole same ole.

I've reworked my floor plan and will no longer be doing the fiberglass bathroom because I ran across a better idea. I still have to build it since I can't buy one but it will beat glassing an entire room. A folding shower!

http://www.gadgetoz.com/post/folding-sh ... uch-space/

Also, I now have "residence" in South Dakota so now I can shop for insurance from any company that will insure a converted RV WITHOUT it being a rider on an auto policy unless someone wants to "give" me a car until I get moved to WA, then they can have it back.

Right now I'm doing some work on weatherproofing the box and battling the heat. When it's hot and humid out I get physically sick so I've not gotten as much done but still moving forward. Pics soon.
Headache

Post by Headache »

Some small updates now that it's cooled off a bunch.

Very little got done and moving date is closing in. I don't know if it's because this area is still recovering from the tornado, people are less kindly to others or what but after 14 different people committed to do work and then bailed after doing little to none, I've come to the conclusion that being on disability while trying to do this is a pain in the rear if you have to rely on others you don't know. Most people(even myself sometimes) want results now, not months from now. Anyway, I'm getting things ready for the road, moving my personal belongings out of storage next week then when the plates come from SD in the 2nd week of August I'm outta here.

I got insurance with Progressive. It's $190 a year for now as long as I'm not full timing. I'll be on vacation until November and put on less than 3500 miles. By then all the important stuff will be done, I'll have use of my Dad's car and then I can officially claim full timing. I'm still going to find another insurance company. For some reason Progressive won't let me tow and eventually I'd like to build a solar trailer like Dennis has.

I have two stops before the long stretch to WA. I'll be stopping at a friend's house in Buffalo, NY to do the windows and other woodwork and get some of the cabinets in place. After that I'll be stopping at another friend's farm in Ohio to get the back door removed, the wall built to replace it and have plumbing and electrical work done. After that I'll be briefly stopping in Indiana(unless I find one locally) for a bigger window. They don't ship the big ones.

That's all for now. Hope everything is well and your summer projects are too.
Headache

Post by Headache »

Got most of my stuff out of storage and into the truck, the rest will be done Friday. Next week I'll be moving most of my things from this rooming house just leaving the bare essentials until the big day.

Hey Mark! Someone came through and I'll be living between Monroe and Mt. Pihchuk! It's 40 mins from Dad but he's so excited he doesn't care. I'll get to work on the rest of the conversion there too. I'll get to live in the woods and have a garden. :D
Stealth Camper

Post by Stealth Camper »

Full timing... if you could find a cheap travel trailer somewhere, (and get a place where there is room to put it), you could then say honestly with no qualms that you are not full timing - you spend part of the year in the trailer. Trailer's can be insured easily and cheaply even for full time use - mine costs $400 per year with full coverage including contents as a full timer. (Foremost Insurance).

I bought a $500 fifth wheel that is my current project to get a new roof on, so can move from one into the other. There are a lot of older trailers around in much better shape for just a couple thousand (or 3). Personal favorite is early 80's Holiday Rambler, but they are tough to find.
Headache

Post by Headache »

I'd rather spend the money on the items I need to make my current project livable. If I was to do that then I'd have to rig the new purchase up to be usable for me without propane. That's more of a pain in the rear for me because I'd have to find and pay people to work on two projects and I just don't have that kind of time or money. After the kind of summer we've had here I'm definitely looking forward to winter in WA state.

I've just about got everything packed properly in the truck. Next will be moving the few boxes I have here into the truck. I'll be getting the plates Tues or Wed. Hopefully Tues so I can drive it over to the shop, get a few things repaired then pick it up Thursday. I'll park it here for the night then leave next Friday for Buffalo. Yipee I'll be on my way!
stuartcnz
Site Admin

Post by stuartcnz »

Looking forward to updates as you progress.