Tires...

Discussions about all things to do with buses, trucks, and the homes made within them.

Moderator: TMAX

TinnedFish

Tires...

Post by TinnedFish »

Allright,

I need to put tires on the old housebus (6 of 'em). Whats on there now simply won't go, the tow driver was worried they were going to blow on the way to the garage.

Schwab can get me Nylon w/ tubes for 1002$. It's 1700$ for the Radials.

We're not going to be doing much sight-seeing - mostly rolling the bus from one side of the property to the other, and then a couple 500 mile trips a year. The fellow at Schwab said the Nylon would be fine - that it would pick up a flatspot as it sat, but once it warmed up it would smooth out.

I know one should always get the best tires they can afford, but I could sure use that 700$ for other things...

Opinions? Other tire options in Eugene? (Schwab wouldn't give up any used highway pull-offs I was hoping to get for cheaper). I definitely want to get a quality tire, as I'll be rolling along with the family in a topheavy rig. But, I just don't think I'll be putting 20-40k on this rig in the next 5+ years.

thanks
bruce
Sharkey
Original Founder

Post by Sharkey »

My personal ethic is to stay away from Les Schwab like the plague. If he ever begins a "free tofu" giveaway, I might think about it but not much. I could go into the reasons to avoid, but not everyone here might agree with my politics.

I bought some used tires from Anderson Bros wrecking that are still on the front wheels of my housetruck, $90 each w/tubes.

Other resources are Wyatts or VE tire. Actually, Wyatts managed to dig up some 7.50/20 highway tires for the back of the housetruck, even though they are discontinued, $130/each. I'll probably go back there when it's time for tires for the Crown (10 @ $350 each).