Tires

Discussions about all things to do with buses, trucks, and the homes made within them.

Moderator: TMAX

Jerry Campbell

Tires

Post by Jerry Campbell »

Hey Mr Tin,
I know a man who owns a few tire stores in Corvallis, Albany and Philomath. I just bought 4 almost new 12x22.5s for my bus for $120 apiece. They have studs in them. I hope when I drive to Mexico to have someone take out the studs for me. anyway, let me know what size and I'll take a look and see what he's got.
Jerry
TinnedFish

Thanks

Post by TinnedFish »

Jerry,

Apologies for the lack of response - work called me out of town rather unexpectedly.

I've got a line on some salvage tires in the Eugene area, I should hear back tomorrow (Friday) if they're going to work. If that fails me, I'll drop all my info on you.

thanks for the backup,

bruce
Sharkey
Original Founder

Post by Sharkey »

Jerry, I know you are between email addresses right now, but if you see this, check around and see if there are any decent deals on some used 12R22.5 highway tires for my Crown. I'll need 8 for the rear axles, and would prefer a matched set.

I stopped into Wyatt's Tire today and was quoted $200/each for new recaps, which isn't all that bad I suppose, but it's still $1,600, as opposed to $960 from your sources.

Drop me an email or call if you find something.
HOGCAT

Post by HOGCAT »

Sharky, have not forgot about the bumper peices. Have not been up in the area yet. But now my thought about tires. The 12R 22.5 tires are hard to find on the road!!! If you had a blow out and tried to find one you would be lucky!!! I think a person would be better off with 11R 22.5 tires. They will work just as good. Only a small bit less in max payload. Any old hole in the wall truckstop has them, and they are cheaper!!!
SPIDER
Sharkey
Original Founder

Post by Sharkey »

Yep, already thought about that, but I need all the height I can get in these tires, my bus governs out at 55MPH, so smaller tires means lower top speed.

Besides, with 10 wheels and tires, I'd have to have five tire failures before it would be a problem, I could just keep taking "spares" off the rear axles until I only had one wheel/tire at the end of each hub.

I actually asked about going to 24.5" wheels and tires for the extra circumference, but the tire guy didn't think it was worth it.
Sharkey
Original Founder

Post by Sharkey »

The little problem may be solved. I stopped in at VE Tire today and inquired about recaps/used tires. They were very helpful and found 8 used take-offs in good condition for $90 each, mounted-on-the-bus. Unless something changes, I'll be taking them up on the deal when I get the Crown up and moving early next month. They took my name and number and will warehouse the tires on a pallet with my name on it until then.
Jerry Campbell

Tires

Post by Jerry Campbell »

Excellent!
I'm doing some work for the tire guy now in trade for two new steering tires. Do you need steering tires. If so, I'll check on some prices.
Jerry
Sharkey
Original Founder

Post by Sharkey »

Jerry, I'm going to have them look at my front tires. They are old, but have OK tread and don't have huge cracks in the side walls like the rears.

Check out you source, but at $90 each, I could probably have VE find another pair.
Jerry Campbell

Tires

Post by Jerry Campbell »

I gotsta' have new ones on the front. We'll see how much he wants here.
Hopefully he has enough work for me to pay for them.
jerry