The Flying Tortoise

Discussions about all things to do with buses, trucks, and the homes made within them.

Moderator: TMAX

Dusty

Re: The Flying Tortoise

Post by Dusty »

Very cool. Thanks for sharing. Especially the interior pics.
58 Bedford House
Dennis The Bus Dweller
Seasoned Nomadicista

Post by Dennis The Bus Dweller »

What a great home
Peace along the way
Dennis the bus dweller N.Y.
Dennis The Bus Dweller
Seasoned Nomadicista

Post by Dennis The Bus Dweller »

Hey Mr Tortoise

Is that a water tank built in to the wood stove pipe?
Peace along the way
Dennis the bus dweller N.Y.
kb2iaw

Post by kb2iaw »

Dennis The Bus Dweller wrote:Hey Mr Tortoise

Is that a water tank built in to the wood stove pipe?
( some photo`s do not show it , one does . i think it must be placed on top of the stove for hot water ...then removed and stowed .???
The Flying Tortoise
Roving Reporter

Post by The Flying Tortoise »

Greetings... sorry for keeping you waiting... no it is not built in or on. I had it made though to fit on top of the fireplace. It is made of heavy aluminium, stands approx 750mm high and as you can see, has a tap at the bottom. It holds just over 30 litres of water and is very handy but a bit awkward to take off and on the firetop as I also do a lot of cooking on the top. It stows easily behind the fireplace when travelling.
I was going to put in a 'wetback' but the fireplace is so efficient and I have it on so often that I couldn't fit a hot water tank big enough... the one I was installing was 50 litres and I couldn't use that much so I would have surplus hot water spouting over the roof.
All my on-board water is in easily carried 10litre heavy duty plastic containers and I use a small bilge pump, well my 12volt shower actually, to take the water from those to the main 20 litre tank. From there I use a hand galley pump on the bench. It's been pointed out that a foot pump would be better and Stuart was correct, it would have been better and I can't remember why I chose a hand pump. I had a very successful relationship with a foot pump on my last yacht, a very simple live aboard junk rigged 10m yacht, but that's another story...
I will post photos of the water containers and the 12volt shower another time.
By the way, I've always chosen to carry portable water tanks rather than built in tanks... I like to be able to find and carry the water in these small containers, it's hands on, like chopping and carting firewood... I've never wanted to cart great quantities of water in tanks that may be for some reason or other, stale or undrinkable. Tanks too are very expensive to make and install... the containers I use cost just a few dollars each and some are twenty years old.
And too, this lifestyle is very much a philosophical thing for me...
I'm very happy to answer any questions regarding The Flying Tortoise so feel free...
Cheers.
Keith
stuartcnz
Site Admin

Post by stuartcnz »

The Flying Tortoise wrote: It is made of heavy aluminium, stands approx 750mm (2' 6") high and as you can see, has a tap at the bottom. It holds just over 30 litres (8 Gal) of water and is very handy but a bit awkward to take off and on the firetop as I also do a lot of cooking on the top.
I was going to put in a 'wetback' but the fireplace is so efficient and I have it on so often that I couldn't fit a hot water tank big enough... the one I was installing was 50 litres (13 and a bit Gal) and I couldn't use that much so I would have surplus hot water spouting over the roof.
All my on-board water is in easily carried 10litre (2.65 Gal) heavy duty plastic containers and I use a small bilge pump, well my 12volt shower actually, to take the water from those to the main 20 litre (5.3 Gal) tank.
U.S. conversions in bold.
Headache

Post by Headache »

I believe someone is being modest....

http://theflyingtortoise.blogspot.com/2 ... -home.html

That's an awesome honor to a very intelligent individual and smart use of materials. Congrats on being chosen!