Grace 8 - Comfort and Condolence

Discussions about all things to do with buses, trucks, and the homes made within them.

Moderator: TMAX

Sharkey
Original Founder

Grace 8 - Comfort and Condolence

Post by Sharkey »

This is the eighth installment in an ongoing photo essay detailing the history of Prakash's bus Grace.

The previous installments are:

The Early Years
Room Addition
Repaint then Road Trip
The Great Highway 1 Housetruck Race
Extreme Makeover
Guest House
Rural Retreat

<HR>
My next trip to visit Prakash was not planned. My mother died unexpectedly on New Year's Day 1996, and I hastily packed my pickup truck and assembled my work and home situations so that I could make an emergency trip to Las Vegas to take care of her remains and put her possessions and affairs in order. The trip to LV was rushed, two days of more-or-less continuous driving, with an overnight at my half-sister's home near Yosemite.

I'll spare everyone the sordid details of my five days and nights in the Capital of Sin, but suffice it to say, I was not there for fun and gambling. I had never liked Las Vegas in all the 25 year Mom had lived there, and my purpose for being there this time brought me no joy. The air was a thick brown haze, the apartment she lived in messy, disorganized and strewn with cigarette ashes and butts. McCarren International Airport was about four blocks away, so I listened to jets taking off all day and all night.

The day that I completed my task, I escaped Las Vegas, hopefully for the last time ever, and then spent an incredible night camping in the remote desert near Lucerne, California. I set up in a secluded valley, far from the road where the stars were brilliant and I heard no sounds except for those I made myself.

In the morning, I visited some property I own near Apple Valley, California, and toured a neighborhood of rural properties where I spent nearly every weekend of my adolescence. After that, it was over to San Diego, CA to visit my grandfather, who lived in a mobile home park.

The visit was pleasant enough, and Granddad and I, along with my step mother visited my father's grave and then had lunch together. The weather was superb, 89 degrees in January! I spent about an hour in the mobile home park's swimming pool, something you can't really do in Oregon in the winter.

After leaving San Diego, I spent two hours driving through my old hometown, Los Angeles, stuck in stop-and-go freeway traffic, attempting to get to the north end of the city so I could continue my journey home.

An overnight at a state park north of Santa Barbara, then we can get busy with some stuff you might actually find interesting.

Now that I had cellular telephone service again, I called Prakash and let him know that I was headed north, and asked if I could stop by an visit. Of course, I was granted an unlimited stay, but on that particular day, he was headed up to "The City" (San Francisco) to pick up some candles he had made and consigned to a craft shop that was closing. He suggested that I find a way to kill some time, perhaps a visit to Hearst Castle. This was actually something I had been considering, and now with some spare time to consume during the trip while Prakash made his errand for the day, I decided to take one of the tours.

Hearst Castle is a huge residence and guest buildings built on a large estate near San Simeon, CA in the early decades of the 1900's by William Randolph Hearst, the famous newspaper mogul. Rather than try and do my own review, I'll refer you to the Hearst Castle web site. The entire estate is now a California State Park, and there are multiple tours available that show off the buildings and grounds.

I went on "Tour #1", the general tour that shows the interior of one of the guest houses, two of the swimming pools (indoor and outdoor), the dining hall and more. I was interested in looking at the architecture and interior design partly to gather ideas for building the Crown.

Here's an image of the outdoor pool, grabbed from a Google search of the 'net:

It was another warm and sunny day, and being surrounded by clean air and beautiful buildings and landscaping eased my heavy heart just a bit. I once again felt a bit of enjoyment creep back into my life. The docents at the Castle were friendly, and one, noticing the logo on my radio station tee shirt struck up a conversation about Oregon. I began a slow recovery to normalcy that took more than a year to complete.

Hearst Castle is a place that I had visited a couple of times during my childhood. My father was an avid hobbyist photographer, and the family had taken a few trips up the coast to tour the Castle. In the personal effects of my deceased mother were dozens of boxes of 35mm slides, some of which had images of our trips to Hearst Castle. One day, I may get around to digitizing some of those for my own enjoyment.

In the meantime, here's another Google-searched image from the internet, I have invested quite a lot of time touching up this particular photo in Photoshop. The full-sized image is one of my favorite desktop wallpaper images:

I wonder how much trouble you'd get into if you simply dived in for a swim in the middle of the tour? For that matter, I wonder if the water is heated? Brrr...
Sharkey
Original Founder

Post by Sharkey »

After touring the Castle, I resumed my trip up California Highway 1. About 2PM, I began to feel a bit sleepy, and since I had the luxury of not being on a tight schedule, I pulled into another state park, opened up the canopy on the truck and curled up in the sun with my favorite pillow for a very satisfying nap.

Driving through Carmel, I stopped at a vintage Chevron gas station to fill the tank and was aghast at the price of full-service regular: $1.73 a gallon. Seems cheap now, but this was ten years back!

Eventually, I did make my way to Prakash's, and parked my truck next to Grace on the hillside:

Photo 40:

(One thing to note about this series of images is that my 35mm camera had developed light leaks in the seal where the film was loaded, so there will be unusual flares and shading on the photos)

Not all that much had changed since my visit of 1992. The solar panel was now mounted on the roof of the bus, and I climbed up through the skylight in the Library and added my own to supplement the incoming power. (Who says I'm not a guest who contributes?)

Photo 41:

The old camping tent had since succumbed to mold and mildew, and sleeping accommodations were now supplied by a large elevated deck. Since the weather was clear and not at all cold, I slept out in the open. That's my bedding in the middle of the deck. This image was taken from the area where the old tent was set up.
Sharkey
Original Founder

Post by Sharkey »

This trip yielded some photographs of the interior of the bus that conveyed a more "lived in" look. None that I took this trip were of the quality of those of my 1990 trip, but they are a real part of documenting the evolution of the bus' function as a working home.

Photo 42:

Several times during my visit, I expressed my gratitude to Prakash for allowing me to spend a few days with him. After the emotional trauma for the previous week and a half, it felt good to be in familiar surroundings, yet still removed from the pressures of daily life at home. Being outside the city is always a treat, and considering the cities that I had just spent time in, being up the hills where it was quiet, the air was clean, and it was dark at night without artificial lighting was just what my nerves needed.

Photo 43:

The back of the bus faced out into the valley, and from the vantage point high on the hill, all was quiet below. This view, and some features I'll explain later in this series will play an interesting role in the next installment.

Prakash's cat takes in the view. I don't remember the cat's given name, but it's nickname was "Brunswick" because it was black and white and round like a bowling ball...

More before long....
Stealth Camper

Post by Stealth Camper »

Well, it has been "before long".

Is there more to the saga and I don't know where to look, or does it just end here??

Am enjoying the story a great deal! Just am disappointed that it took me so long to find it.
Dusty

Post by Dusty »

Thanks for sharing your story Sharkey , I can't believe I only just found this thread 8)
58 Bedford House
Sharkey
Original Founder

Post by Sharkey »

The short answer is: "No, there will be no Installment 9, nor any after that".

For those of you who won't be able to go to sleep tonight without knowing the end of the story:

I made four more trips to Santa Cruz. In 1997 and 1998, the bus was still parked at the property described in this installment. Some time around 1999, "Prakash" (whom I will refer to hereafter as "E.G.", his given name initials) provoked his landlady into evicting him from the property in spite of his investing $12k (according to him) in landscaping and improvements. The bus was towed into SC at great expense and not without some minor damage caused by the backhoe that was used to extricate it from the hillside parking spot. It was then placed alongside his girlfriend's house that is on the edge of one of the several arroyos that pass through that city. When I visited in 2000 and 2001, it was being used as a guest house.

In spite of the bus being rebuilt after being moved, installing new brakes, tires, clutch, cylinder head and a five speed transmission, E.G. refused to drive it again, even for a test drive, having succumbed to road paranoia, saying that the bus attracted "weirdos, winos, and rednecks", all looking for trouble. The bus is still parked at that last location, as far as I know.

In September/October 2006, E.G. and I separately and mutually realized that our thirty year acquaintance had played out its final chapter and we parted company for the final time. I haven't heard from him since, and neither have I attempted to contact him. I have no interest or desire to further reminisce about this person, and so won't be writing more of this tale. There wasn't much more anyway.

The End.

Goodnight.
Stealth Camper

Post by Stealth Camper »

Sounds sad, but sometimes that happens. Have had some partings of ways.

Thanks for the final update. And thanks for keeping all the history intact - his bus has been one of many inspirations to my adventure. As has your Crown!!! And housetruck!

Well, on to other stuff....
dburt

Post by dburt »

Bummer- I guess I am still a kid at heart in some ways and want a "and they lived happily ever after" ending. But, real life is rarely like that :(

Still, I am quite glad Sharkey is writing again, I really enjoy his stories!
So- even though the stories may contain more of real life then how we would all wish it would end, I still like the story lines and the author! :)
rlaggren

Post by rlaggren »

What dburt said...
ezrablu

Post by ezrablu »

I just finished reading all your writings...thank you so much for sharing all of this. Man, what marvelous stories and photos, Sharkey! I, too, would love to read more but, alas, everything has an ending.

BUT, then new chapters begin, so, onto new adventures, right? :wink:
ezrablu
1991 Bluebird International
360 DT - 6 Speed
Sharkey
Original Founder

Post by Sharkey »

I'm going to assume that this means you've exhausted the reading possibilities of yet another unfinished tome, 30 Years in a Housetruck.

Fear not, I have in mind a (somewhat short, therefore likely to be completed) tale about one of my adventures in the Housetruck back in 1980, something that could be rolled into the 30 Years text when the time is appropriate.

Stay tuned (or strayed tuna, whatever).
Dennis The Bus Dweller
Seasoned Nomadicista

Post by Dennis The Bus Dweller »

Nice 8) I figured and hoped that just because Grace hung a right and went down the exit ramp that there was still more to the journey to tell :)
Peace along the way
Dennis the bus dweller N.Y.
Sharkey
Original Founder

Post by Sharkey »

The story may be a little delayed. I tried to scan some old photos but the scanner was being balky, I think it was cold/fogged from being in storage and then suddenly brought into a heated space (the bus). I left it in there with the dehumidifier running, so will try it again in a few hours/tomorrow.

I did do some online research and uncovered some interesting details that I only vaugly remembered about this event. I can work on the outline offline while the scanner is warming up.
Griff
~(G)Q

Post by Griff »

ImageYAY! Looking forward to more adventures!Image
~(G)Q Arduously Avoiding Assimilation
Dennis The Bus Dweller
Seasoned Nomadicista

Post by Dennis The Bus Dweller »

Great, hey where are all these new funny little icon guys coming from :roll:
Peace along the way
Dennis the bus dweller N.Y.