Insurance BAH!!!

Discussions about all things to do with buses, trucks, and the homes made within them.

Moderator: TMAX

Headache

Insurance BAH!!!

Post by Headache »

So, I'm trying to get insurance and so far it's been a HUGE pain. Not so much because I'm self converting but because I live in Massachusetts. There are very few that will even consider insuring me but because of my vehicle it will cost over $1300. Ouch!

My next plan is to get one of those mail box deals to establish residency. This really isn't all that far fetched because I'll be full timing anyway. Once my address is out of Mass more options open up.

I won't be going with Progressive again. I had some issues with them and they won't insure my type of vehicle. It's almost as if getting insurance for a schoolie would be easier. They lost me when they almost doubled my premiums claiming the cost of doing business.

I'm looking into Blue Sky as they have coverage for conversions, toterhomes and full timers. Anyone deal with them before? They are relatively new but so far I've read some good things about them.

http://blueskyrvinsurance.com/
Stealth Camper

Re: Insurance BAH!!!

Post by Stealth Camper »

Progressive fed me a lie that one reason they wouldn't insure my bus was because the wheels were closer together on the back. Huh? So, I went and measured, outside of tire to outside on the bus. Then measured a Ryder truck. They were within an inch, which is about how close I think I can measure with a couple of boards and a tape measure.

Maybe Mark could give us some insight on that?

We have quite a few people come through my home park who have Montana tags. I have talked about it with them, but haven't tried it yet. My tags and insurance are pretty cheap here, so no compelling reason, yet. Most of these people are in big motorhomes and probably have some pretty big tag prices.

Good Luck!!
If you find a good company, let us know.
stuartcnz
Site Admin

Post by stuartcnz »

Notes on gaining South Dakota residency from someone that has done it:

"Incidentally, the reason I couldn't get my license yesterday is because if one wants to establish residency in the state without living here full-time, one must first spend a night at a hotel, campground, or some other such establishment, and then present the receipt to the DMV as proof of a temporary address. No idea who comes up with such silliness, but it is what it is, so I had to plunk down $16 and somehow muscle through a whole night at the nearby Lake Herman State Park campground:"

Taken from this blog post http://www.tosimplify.net/2010/09/reloc ... akota.html by Glenn Morrissette.
Headache

Post by Headache »

You can get residency without staying in SD. They had to stay in SD because they switched their drivers license which I won't be doing right away. I don't have to have a SD drivers license to register my vehicle there. Weird I know, so does most of SD. The loop hole(for lack of a better term) is a document called "nomad affidavit" which is required(depending on the current license state) with my title, general affidavit and power of attorney for vehicle registration. Eventually I will have to stay there anyway because I'll be switching my CDL over. Also, you can't get special plates unless you switch your drivers license. Until you do they just issue the normal plates. Even if I had to stay there it would still end up being at least $600 cheaper than getting insurance here.

http://www.americas-mailbox.com/home/ti ... rs-license

http://www.americas-mailbox.com/home/ti ... gistration

The other reason why I won't go back to Progressive(lieing should be good enough) is that they seem to be rather lax in informing their customers that full time RV insurance only applies to those that have a car being towed. It's just another car policy that they add the RV to. If you don't catch this right away they coincidentally cancel the policy when it's past the full refund mark or halfway on a trip somewhere.
chev49

Post by chev49 »

GMAC is what a lot of people use. Just tell them that you have a 2009 or whatever year conversion on whatever chassis you have, not necessary to tell them you are still working on it.
Headache

Post by Headache »

I'll check them out as soon as I get my address changed to SD. A state trooper is coming out with the portable scales to weight my truck and they do it for free. YAY!