Raising The Roof ~ Questions...

Discussions about all things to do with buses, trucks, and the homes made within them.

Moderator: TMAX

pixiemoss

Raising The Roof ~ Questions...

Post by pixiemoss »

Greetings,
I was wondering if anyone could give advice, opinions, thoughts etc.. on the pros and cons of a wooden vs a metal roof raise. We are a family of four and need to modify our house bus to accommodate a loft in the front and back of the bus. We have been saving our money for a long time and are now ready to take the plunge.

We are leaning towards a metal roof raise done by some local fabricators/welders, but the seemingly lower cost of the wooden roof raise is also appealing... thoughts ???

Thanks ~ Pixie

Enchanted Gypsy ~ Travel Diaries
http://enchantedgypsy.blogspot.com/
moss

Re: Raising The Roof ~ Questions...

Post by moss »

Umm.. apparently I asked a very similar question many years ago, as I found searching the threads. Got a lot of great feedback too ! Anyway.. we now have two kids and just been evicted from our home. So we figure no time like the present and we now actually have the money to complete a metal roof raise. We have been give an estimate of 2,500 for a partial, back roof raise.

If there is anyone in the eugene oregon area who would like to help with the project, we can pay you for your time...
Feather

Post by Feather »

I just wanted to add that..if there is anyone here who has done a metal roof raise themselves, or anyone who can point me in the direction of someone who has, I would be grateful. We are entertaining the idea of doing the raise ourselves, and if there was someone who would be open to us doing a bit of brain picking..maybe we could do it. Thanks again...
Dusty

Post by Dusty »

I've done a metal roof raise. It was not hard. That just means I can work in metal ok.

There are several detailed accounts on the web where people with foresight have documented their work.

Those who are good with wood will say that is the good way to go and those who are good with metal will say that is the good way to go.

Those who can work with neither medium will pay for who ever can.

Try and get references from others who have had work done by the people you are considering employing to do your work.
Actually view the work and make your own assessment of their skills.

Good luck with the big adventure. :)
58 Bedford House
Headache

Post by Headache »

Hi pixie! Yes there are a few good links here to a roof raise including a great "homemade" roof raise. Will you be traveling in the bus or will it be stationary? I'm not an engineer or contractor but due to my own ignorance I try to keep my builds of similar materials out of simplicity.

I loved what you did with the interior of your bus and the brightness of the interior was very inspiring as to what materials and colors of wood I want for the interior of my UHaul.

I miss your blog!