Bedford Bus

Discussions about all things to do with buses, trucks, and the homes made within them.

Moderator: TMAX

Dusty

Re: Bedford Bus

Post by Dusty »

Now that's dedication ... 1300kms round trip just to view the bus.

Congratulations on your new purchase, I hope you have a lot of fun with it :)
58 Bedford House
stuartcnz
Site Admin

Post by stuartcnz »

Dusty wrote:Now that's dedication ... 1300kms round trip just to view the bus.
Anyone, who wants a housebus/truck, who is afraid of a little travel, should probably be looking for a different kind of house. :D
stuartcnz
Site Admin

Post by stuartcnz »

Here are some photo's I took of the bus, when having a look at it yesterday. I have arranged transport for it and expect to have it at my place in around two weeks time.

It's definitely rough around the edges. However, it is useable as liveable accommodation as is. So the interior can be redone as and how time and money dictate.

To get it in a road ready and legal state the vacum booster needs attention and reinstallation along with the master cyclinder. The starter motor also needs attention. The cracked window, behind the fridge either needs fixing or removing, I will be removing that window and covering the hole. The platform on the back likely needs to be removed. The indicator lenses may need replacing due to fading. Plus anything else the testing station may find. I haven't checked any of the lights, so may be in for some surprises there.

Also needs the drivers seat bolted back in, and I need to find a passenger seat and install that too.
stuartcnz
Site Admin

Post by stuartcnz »

Stealth Camper wrote:
But what about that steering wheel thing....being on the wrong side and everything...??
The steering wheel is on the right side of the bus, it just doesn't make sense to have it on the wrong side. :D
Headache

Post by Headache »

LOL. I have to admit that it was a bit confusing to see the steering wheel there. I'll definitely be looking forward to your build.

On that platform, what about shortening it rather than taking if off completely? One thing I enjoy about the Tortoise is the plants he puts on the back. You could shorten it and still have room for plants and your bike!
Dusty

Post by Dusty »

Thats terriffic Stuart, nice to see the pics and compare the differences to my VAS, you can see where the different body builders have kept to the theme , but done their own bit in the details.

Check the post I did on my VAS http://www.nomadicista.org/viewtopic.ph ... 3&start=90 the whole front , side windows, roof ends, lights, are different yet it still looks like a loaf of bread :)

I have a spare brake vaccuum booster you can have if its needed.
Regards
58 Bedford House
Dennis The Bus Dweller
Seasoned Nomadicista

Post by Dennis The Bus Dweller »

Thats great Stuart 8)
Peace along the way
Dennis the bus dweller N.Y.
stuartcnz
Site Admin

Post by stuartcnz »

Dusty wrote: I have a spare brake vaccuum booster you can have if its needed.
Regards
I may take you up on that Dusty. The existing one is sitting in a cardboard box inside the bus, so I will have a look at it when the bus arrives to see what condition it is in.

My bus definitely has less headroom than yours does, but I agree that the theme is much the same, it's always easy to spot a beddy.
Headache wrote: On that platform, what about shortening it rather than taking if off completely? One thing I enjoy about the Tortoise is the plants he puts on the back. You could shorten it and still have room for plants and your bike!
I also like the idea of a platform/storage locker, like TFT's on the back. This one however, obscures the registration plate and is also just welded on to the back of the bumper. I think it will be easier to just cut it off, and at some stage do a new one from scratch.
stuartcnz
Site Admin

Post by stuartcnz »

It has arrived!

A little over an hour ago the truck arrived and we spent about half an hour doing things that people who don't have heavy transport experience shouldn't attempt. But the end result was that even though the bus wouldn't start, we safely managed to put it exactly where I wanted.

It's getting dark out, now, so no photo's before tomorrow.
Dusty

Post by Dusty »

Very cool .

It's great to hear it has arrived safely.

I guess the placement of the bus was helped by the handbrake still working LOL :) :)
58 Bedford House
The Flying Tortoise
Roving Reporter

Post by The Flying Tortoise »

Fantastic Stuart!
Congratulations on your new bus and of course having the ability to choose a Beddy!
I look forward to seeing your build progress...
All the best.
Keith
stuartcnz
Site Admin

Post by stuartcnz »

It is raining very hard here today, but I did manage a little video of the interior.

This will be a major project over time. The first goal I want to achieve is to get the bus running and road legal. At least it can then be used for camping in relative comfort, as is.

The bus feels roomy inside and has a basic layout that seems to work well for the space, but in the end everything will need to be rebuilt from scratch.
Lostranger

Post by Lostranger »

Love the lawn chair motif. Congratulations again, Stuart. Fun from the start, yet plenty to keep you busy.

Jim in North Carolina
Dusty

Post by Dusty »

Excellent Stuart , thanks for the walk thru.

Bargain buy of the year I think. :)
58 Bedford House
somewhereinusa

Post by somewhereinusa »

Great looking bus, sometimes I wish I had gone the "already done" route. I'm getting antzy to go somewhere.