Bedford Bus

Discussions about all things to do with buses, trucks, and the homes made within them.

Moderator: TMAX

stuartcnz
Site Admin

Bedford Bus

Post by stuartcnz »

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/buses/h ... 046500.htm
This is a bus I was looking at yesteray and was very tempted by. I don't think it is the right direction for me to take though, but for $3,500 it looks like a good deal to me, given the mechanical work that has been done so far.

While it does have a petrol engine, if Dusty's prediction for mileage is accurate, then my estimation based on that is around 6 kilometres per litre, which is about what a japanese diesel truck of around the same weight gets. While petrol costs more here, both vehicles are bound by RUC's, and as such the petrol vehicle can claim back around 48 cents per litre in excise, which makes the fuel cost look much closer.

The add reads "Aluminium body by Tempero motors Oamaru in good condition Engine has been recently reconditioned ,Brakes relined master cly resleeved not fitted, brake vacumn booster needs ATTN ,REG on hold, no, c,o,f, has woodfire, 3 way fridge, gas cooker, sinktop, no water or waste tanks"

I spoke with the seller on the phone yesterday and was told that it was last driven regularly and legally about three years ago. The last time it was driven was around a month ago, using handbrake only for braking.

It is about 25 feet long, has a 214J 6 cyclinder petrol engine, tare weight of 4 ton (metric) gross around 6 ton. It has a cracked side window, he thinks maybe laminated because it hasn't broken. All cabinetary is done in chipboard, so would probably want to be redone in other materials. Has a stainless steel shower base and califont, but suspects the califont may need work.

If I were to buy it, I would need to have it transported to where I live, which I am guessing (completely ballpark) to be somewhere in the one/two thousand dollar mark, due to the immediate brake work needing to be done, plus what ever else is required to make it road legal. Seller thought maybe indicater lenses could possibly be failed through fading, but though should be okay aside from that.

It is still very tempting for me, but I don't think I will do it. The headroom is about 5'8" which is just low enough to make me stoop,
stuartcnz
Site Admin

Re: Bedford Bus

Post by stuartcnz »

Here are the photo's.

Headache

Post by Headache »

That is so cool! Is there any way he'd at least let you get the basic legals done first? It seems to me that "maybe" if you kicked him a little extra cash and got to do the legals there you'd at least break even. Or is there more than can be reasonably accomplished?
Dusty

Post by Dusty »

Stuart , if you check carjam , the last COF expired 8 yrs ago. and Rego is on hold.

A big plus for this vehicle is that it is already listed as a motor caravan. This means no hassles going for next cof.

I have to instal certified seat belts in my VAS (same as this wee bus) before I can get it changed to motor home , then tested accordingly.

My VAS drove at just on 50mph and did 15mpg (imp) but ran out of steam going up hills fairly quickly, but that is the way with all old Beddys.

The alloy body is rare, most all of the VAS Beddy were built for the education board as school buses and as such were done to a strict budget. eg, steel body , no interior lighting, 214 engine etc. But very strong frame.

The listed faults in this auction seem very minor compared to the costs involved in setting a bus up from scratch.

I had my Flxible Clipper shifted by Jeffs transport (fastest the old girl had been for years LOL), they have a huge low deck truck and a shift down the island should be under $1k. even if they have to go via the Lewis Pass.
58 Bedford House
stuartcnz
Site Admin

Post by stuartcnz »

My father is going to go and have a look at it for me.
stuartcnz
Site Admin

Post by stuartcnz »

I am now tentatively the new owner.

My father had a look at the bus for me, and it sounds like the add is pretty straight up. I have had a few phone conversations with regards to whether I get it transported or if they will let me leave it there until I can get it road legal, and they seem amenable to that. And I have arranged to go and look at it myself. In the last phone conversation we had, they agreed to let me do the buy now, without being obligated to go through with it, which secures it against someone else buying it between now and when I get up to view it in a few days. I felt the need to do that, as it means taking three days off work and several tanks of gas to get there and back, but don't won't to be obligated to buy if the logistics don't work out.

But at this stage, it looks like I now have a house bus. and a pretty cool one at that. :)
Headache

Post by Headache »

I hope it all works out for you. That looks like a cool bus even from here!
Dusty

Post by Dusty »

Well done , I think it looks like good value for money.

ps, did my pm go thru?
58 Bedford House
stuartcnz
Site Admin

Post by stuartcnz »

Dusty wrote:
ps, did my pm go thru?
Yes, Thanks.
stuartcnz
Site Admin

Post by stuartcnz »

Since it looks like this is going to become my bus, I thought I should shift the topic to a more appropriate forum. So here it is in Housebuses & Housetrucks.
Dennis The Bus Dweller
Seasoned Nomadicista

Post by Dennis The Bus Dweller »

Those bedfords have a great face :D
Peace along the way
Dennis the bus dweller N.Y.
Lostranger

Post by Lostranger »

Hey Stuart,

Looks like a charmer. I'll offer provisional congratulations and wish you the best in making the deal and getting it home. Don't think I've ever seen a Bedford bus in the flesh. I doubt that many of them made it to this side of the pond. I have become familiar with the look, however, through this and other web sites, and I like it. I'm also a big fan of aluminum bodies.

On the other hand, 5'8" of head room would drive me nuts. A band I was once in often travelled in an MC5C. The ceiling was somewhere close to 6'. I always tried to slouch to my seat and then stay put. After I bang my head a few times, I become unpleasant company.

Keep us posted on the progress. It looks like a great setup.

Jim in North Carolina
Stealth Camper

Post by Stealth Camper »

Nice! Very cool look to it.

But what about that steering wheel thing....being on the wrong side and everything...??
stuartcnz
Site Admin

Post by stuartcnz »

Update: After a whirlwind trip up to see the bus, via a visit to Dusty and his buses. I am now the proud new owner of a wonderfull alumimium body VAS Bedford Bus, which incidentally is the perfect size for me.

I only arrived home about an hour ago and am in need of sleep, but will add a few new photo's of the bus in the next day or two.
Lostranger

Post by Lostranger »

Congratulations, Stuart. Hope all goes well for you. Keep us posted.

Jim in North Carolina