1936 International bus conversion. 24 feet

Discussions about all things to do with buses, trucks, and the homes made within them.

Moderator: TMAX

PhilS

1936 International bus conversion. 24 feet

Post by PhilS »

Your site reminded me of the time in l963 I found an old '36 International bus, that had been stored for some time. It was used as a logging crummy for hauling loggers up into the woods. It had seen people, chainsaws, gasoline containers etc. I saw a future motorhome. What a vision, huh? After purchasing for $500.00 and getting it started & driven home ten miles with no problems, the conversion began. Running gear was the original 6 cy inline Int'l gasoline engine. Four speed trans. w/two speed axle. I removed the six rows of seats & began my 'dream'.
Bathroom in rear for portapottie. Used kitchen cabinets. An antique ice box. A restaurant L shaped dinette & table. Double bed. Hidebed couch.
Next I was able to obtain used mobile home siding, & with the help of a pop rivetor, had my coach resided in a week of part time efforts. Next was our 'dream trip' from Oregon up to Lake Chelan, near the Canadian border. We pulled our 14' boat & motor. Great trip. Run like a top. However, with all that weight, some of the trip was down to 25 mph.
It resold years later to someone in Roseburg Oregon. Then maybe 15 years later, I spied it parked beside a house in Springfield Ore. No one home to hear their stories of their adventures in my "old dream"