Different Wisdom

Discussions about all things to do with buses, trucks, and the homes made within them.

Moderator: TMAX

Lostranger

Re: Different Wisdom

Post by Lostranger »

Still no tire resolution. I priced 11-R 22.5 tires today, thinking I might change the four back tires, but I was not impressed. The price difference per tire is only $68, the 11-R is significantly shorter so it would drop final gearing when I want to go the other way, AND with both tires in Load Range H, the 12-R has more than 1000 pounds per tire higher load capacity. Gillig specifies 12-R 22.5 for this bus, and I believe I'll stay with it. If I want Hankook AH-12 tires that are not already 2 years old, however, I'll have to go out of this area. Seems that every dealer buys from the same warehouse, and their current stock is dated the 20th week of 2013.

I told you that the pain of buying tires should be savored over time.

Jim
LuckyChow

Post by LuckyChow »

Savored or suffered?? :banghead:
Darryl
Smyrna GA
2000 Gillig Phantom
Lostranger

Post by Lostranger »

I've posted misinformation about the difference in load rating between Hankook AH-12 11-R and 12-R tires in 22.5. I must have been comparing the single rating of the 12 to the dual rating of the 11. It was late. The real difference is 775 lbs per tire running dual according to Hankook's web site. That's still 3100 lbs more weight capacity on the rear axle, and that's significant.

So is the RPM. The 11-R tire turns 501 and the 12-R is 486.

The local tire dealer I'm working with says he cannot get Kelly tires in 12-R 22.5. He understands my situation and has been patient with my research and decision process. He has no control over what the regional warehouse stocks or what they charge. His business is Big Rig Tire in Old Fort, NC. I recommend him if you find yourself needing tires while in this part of the world.

LuckyChow has given me the name of a bus dismantler, and I'm going to check on what's available used. I don't feel that I have the option of merely waiting until the warehouse restocks my size. I'm tempted to buy the two-year-old tires. Buying tires through a different regional distributer would involve either a bus trip or expensive shipping and mounting. I'm usually good at making decisions, but this is a dilemma.

More later.

Jim
Mark R. Obtinario
Seasoned Nomadicista

Post by Mark R. Obtinario »

I have had very good luck with Cooper tires.

I have also had very good luck with some Chinese off brands. Ohtsu and Triple Coin come immediately to mind.

What I agree the most about, particularly considering their cost, is you want to purchase the newest tires available.
Lostranger

Post by Lostranger »

Thanks, Mark. I'll see if my dealer can get either of those. I've already learned that the price difference is dramatic, and if I can get 5 years service out of a much cheaper tire, that's probably the way to go.

Jim
somewhereinusa

Post by somewhereinusa »

I feel your pain, I obsessed about tires for over a year (and drove on some really bad old ones) I actually bought mine off of craigs list. The rears are new recaps that a local mobile mechanic was getting rid of. The steers were listed locally, but the guy I talked to was in LA, his company in WI and the tires came from MI. 11R22.5s delivered to my door for $800. They were also 2 yrs old. Sumitomo brand,Japanese.

Dick
Mark R. Obtinario
Seasoned Nomadicista

Les Schwab is the largest independent tire dealer here on the left coast based out of OR. They push the Toyo brand and most people have good luck with both LS and Toyo tires. I just have never had good luck with LS.

I know some people who have had really good luck with Sumitomo tires.

What I would NOT put on a bus is a set of recaps of any kinds. I know of two people who ran them on their coaches and ended up with significant damage to their coaches when the cap let loose. When an inner one lets loose it can take out brakes lines, air bags, and can beat the stuffing out of the fender and coachwork.
Lostranger

Post by Lostranger »

I just pulled the trigger on a pair of Doublestar tires for Monday delivery. Manufactured two weeks ago. I'll post more detail later today.
Lostranger

Post by Lostranger »

Doublestar DSR 266 12-R 22.5. Load range H. $379 each including installation and all taxes. Warehouse man says they've had no returns on this brand in five years. Not sure I believe that, but at least they say they'll stand behind them. Do not know how long that warranty lasts.

I'm going to try two. Probably two more in a few weeks. I need rear tires, these are sold by a local shop and they're fresh.

More later,

Jim
Mark R. Obtinario
Seasoned Nomadicista

I have heard of Double Coin tires before but not Doublestar.

I would imagine they are both Chinese knockoffs.

At the price savings over a Michelin or Goodyear it is worth the risk since you will more likely age them out before you wear them out.
LuckyChow

Post by LuckyChow »

Jim, I would have made the same decision on these myself. When it comes time for me, I'll probably look hard at these or similar.
Darryl
Smyrna GA
2000 Gillig Phantom
Lostranger

Post by Lostranger »

Mark R. Obtinario wrote:I would imagine they are both Chinese knockoffs.
Mark, they're definitely Chinese, but they have a 5 year track record. The guy I'm dealing with has been in the same place in our county for 34 years. I trust him.

Darryl, thanks for all the effort you've put into research and contact. Your knowledge and your friendship are always appreciated.

Best to all,

Jim
Lostranger

Post by Lostranger »

New tires on L/R. Doublestars look great on the outside, but that's obviously not the entire story. Discovered that the two I removed were both caps made in '06. Glad to have them gone. Here are some photos:

Hopefully, I will not soon have more to say about tires. I'll change the R/R pair soon.

Jim

P.S. Every photo except the last one autorotated 90 degrees left.
LuckyChow

Post by LuckyChow »

Excellent! Those sure look nice. I'm hoping they perform just as nicely. You'll have to give us your impression after running them a few miles. If you balanced them, did they balance up good?
Darryl
Smyrna GA
2000 Gillig Phantom
Stealth Camper

Post by Stealth Camper »

Just the question I have - about balancing these tires.

I have Dayton style rims on my bus - using a 19.5" tire, IIRC. I bought two new rims for the front that are 22.5". Haven't put tires on yet, but trying to get to that this summer for the front. What kind of side effects should I expect if I don't have them balanced? Looking at those hollow rims, I cannot even begin to imagine how they could be balanced...but there must be a way...??

Do the Dynabeads work??

This guy makes it look pretty easy, but I'm betting its more "nuanced"....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7y07PnqqtiY