wheelchair accessible

Discussions about all things to do with buses, trucks, and the homes made within them.

Moderator: TMAX

busguy

wheelchair accessible

Post by busguy »

Hey bus people! I'm new here! My cousin finally gave me on of her buses. It's a '63 chevy,25 footer i think. Anyway I'm going to have to design everything with a wheelchair in mind. Does anyone have any idea's??
Sharkey
Original Founder

Post by Sharkey »

Hi Busguy;

A little administration on your posts, there were two that were identical, so I deleted one to prevent confusion.

As for your question, about all I can think of is that you'll need to make sure that there is plenty of space in the isles and around furniture, etc, but that should be obvious. Maybe a position in the bus where a chair could be secured by seatbelts or whatever so that it would be safe while the bus was in motion. I'm sure that others may come along with better ideas.

A couple of years back, a friend came by the house with a Winnebago that he had modified to have an elevator in so that his dad could get in and out easily. He had sawed out the steps, and used two screw-type garage door openers to raise and lower a platform that dad could stand on to be raised and lowered. Seemed like the idea could be adapted into a poor-man's chair lift...??