1935 Chevy school bus

Discussions about all things to do with buses, trucks, and the homes made within them.

Moderator: TMAX

ol trunt

Re: 1935 Chevy school bus

Post by ol trunt »

Hello All. I don't have much to show for the weekend as my work was mostly refinement of work past. I did figure out a way to trim out the kitchen counter where the top and sides meet. I knew I wanted to use 1/2" angle iron on the edge but it gave little material to work with as far as screws are concerned. I happened to remember the stainless (and chrome) trim Detroit used to apply to door panels in the '50s and '60s. This trim was held on by stamped metal "nails" which were pressed through the door panels and bent over to hold same. I've done sort of the same thing with my 1/2" angle Iron. After a couple of false starts I made the idea work and will have a very industrial looking trim to go with the faux brushed stainless Formica counter top and side material which I have not yet applied. Jack

I drilled holes through the angle iron and then transferred their location to the counter top and frame. I used the 1/8"nails from my "weld on and pull a dent" dent puller as the pins. Once the pins were welded to the angle iron I polished the welds and gave it a try. The pins once bent over will hold the trim just fine.Image

Pic of a completed end piece. Image

Again. Image

Pic of end piece installed for a trial fit.Image
tango

Post by tango »

Looks like some mighty "durable" edging! I will likely just go with some old style aluminum counter edging. Too lazy to try and keep up with Jack.
ol trunt

Post by ol trunt »

Hello All. Well I'm back playing hop scotch once again. I had the chance to use the sheet metal rolling machine at my buddies welding shop yesterday so I stopped work on the drawers and cupboard doors for the opportunity to complete the installation of the electrical distribution panel. As many of you remember, when I stripped the Yamaha genny and stuck it in the slide out drawer I saved the control panel which I have had propped up at the end of the counter near the front door. Somewhere along the line I added a gas gauge and a volt meter and a bunch of lighting switches to the panel and at last I have it completely installed. It looks like a 30's art decco juke box but I'm pleased with the rounded lines and the "industrial" look about it. I plan to paint it with silver hammer tone paint as I will with the rest of the un-upholstered interior. Jack

View as you look in the entry door.Image

Looking out the door from the drivers seat.Image

When the cover panel is removed access is gained to either of the three electrical sources, the inverter, the 12 volt Intel power charging system or the 30 amp 120 volt shore power circuit breakers.Image

Again.Image
tango

Post by tango »

Hey Jack --- Can't wait to see the home-built alternator you put together for the engine.
roach711

Post by roach711 »

I'm lovin the stainless panels.

Looks like our two buses will be a study in contrasts. Yours is predominately metal work with a bit of wood here and there and mine is done all in wood with metal playing the incidental role. Although I DID use some of those high-tech metal things called "screws" so I'm not a complete materials racist. :)
ol trunt

Post by ol trunt »

Hey Roach, I suppose I really am a metal snob :lol:. Although my old bus is really an all steel body, its makers saw fit to use true 1X4" oak strips to back fill the rails that run from front to rear (between the vertical ribs) and after nearly 80 years the wood is still beautiful. I've left it intact and hope that after another 80 years some other bus nut rediscovers them and appreciates them as I do. That being said, I'll probably HAVE to use plywood to support my brushed stainless looking Formica counter tops--Ha Ha. Jack

PS I have a beautiful small oak folding chair to use with my oak Formica kitchen table--how's that for mixing metaphors?
tango

Post by tango »

Aw come on now...mixing metaphors is like beating your head against a dead horse.
somewhereinusa

Post by somewhereinusa »

Great looking panels. Love the curves. I'm jealous, I finally waded through the snow to get something out of the bus that Mumsywumsy wanted. We have about 2 feet of snow and the temps have been alternating between -20 and about 10, so no progress here. Supposed to warm up to 34 next week :)
ol trunt

Post by ol trunt »

Now Tango, don't be edjukatin Ol Trunt you'll just tarnish the patina of his namesake Ha Ha

Somewhere, Burr--snow, isn't that the stuff you don't eat if it is yellow? We don't get much of that out here.
tango

Post by tango »

Snow (of any color) is pretty danged rare here in Houston too. But...we are having one of the coldest winters on record. And when you add in the humidity...wowzer! Feels more like the Arctic than the Tropics. Even have a buddy who moved here 20 years ago after working 20 years as a mechanic in upstate New York complaining. Global warming my goose bumped a$$. It seems more like Global Extremes on both ends of the thermometer.
Stealth Camper

Post by Stealth Camper »

tango wrote:Aw come on now...mixing metaphors is like beating your head against a dead horse.

That's a horse of a different kettle of fish.....
ol trunt

Post by ol trunt »

Hello All (metaphors aside). I'm still working on the kitchen counter and have made a little progress. I toyed with using wood for this part of the project but since there were bound to be many mistakes I stuck with steel as I usually can fix what I do wrong. I've welded up the counter and drawers and cupboard doors and begun applying the faux stainless steel Formica skin. Since laminates aren't what they used to be I am backing the material with thin plywood to help beef it up.

I guess I'm a sucker for vintage products. The cupboard door and drawer latches I've chosen went out of production around 1955 after a 35 year run. They are of a touch to open, touch to close variety manufactured by the National lock Company (1903-1982). I found 5, NOS latches on ebay and now that I have them I almost hate to take them from their original packaging. These latches turned out to be exactly like the latches that were installed in my house when it was built in 1950. My second vintage find is a malt cup from a 1930's Hamilton Beech malt blender. I've installed this stainless steel cup in the counter top to the right and rear of the stove and plan to use it to store utensils. Jack

Pic of steel cupboard door frames, laminate and plywood awaiting assembly when the contact cement dries.Image

View of faux stainless steel counter top test fit. Image

Series 30, Hamilton Beech malt cup. Image

Installed.Image

NOS latch sets with all the cool old packaging. Image
tango

Post by tango »

Funny how many little things we both seem to gravitate towards on our buses. I have about a dozen NOS late 1940's cabinet latches & pulls I found online about a year ago. Chrome with red trim and still in the original boxes also. Nice and funky.
ol trunt

Post by ol trunt »

Hey Tango, I'd be interested to know who made the hardware you spoke of--by any chance was it National lock Company or Amerock? Their 40's hardware often had the red enamel touch. Jack
tango

Post by tango »

Roger that --- Had to go look to be sure but yes...they are indeed the old Nationals. Great minds run in the same gutter?

These are the push-button type that keeps the door latched until you want it open. Seemed reasonable in vehicle and the deco styling is perfect. Amazing that you can still find this kind of stuff brand new.