1935 Chevy school bus

Discussions about all things to do with buses, trucks, and the homes made within them.

Moderator: TMAX

somewhereinusa

Re: 1935 Chevy school bus

Post by somewhereinusa »

Nothin' quite like that first ride. Good bussin' to you. :)
ol trunt

Post by ol trunt »

Hello All. Just a note on my 200 mile plus shakedown run on the freeway. I'm happy to report no problems with any of the operational aspects of the bus. The 5.2 l turbo diesel and Asin 4 spd tranny with over drive and lock up is way more than enough to propel the 9820# bus as if it were just another car in the pack. I guess the word intuitive best describes the road feel. I kept looking in the side mirrors to be sure I was properly centered in the lane but I can see that that won't be necessary except perhaps on very narrow roads. I traversed a 25 mile route over and over again because it includes a variety of driving situations--curves, head winds, cross winds, tail winds and minor grades. I chose to use cruise control as much as possible since I've never been able to get my foot to produce a smooth pattern. It was sort of a blustery day with temps in the mid eighties and wind gusts of about 20 mph. I was aware of the gusts when they came across the bus from the side and I know I tended to over react and grab the wheel. Once I got a feel for the gusts and just relaxed, the movement wasn't any worse than it would have been in my Suburban. I suppose the round body shape of the bus helps explain this.

I checked the fuel mileage for the day and came up with 16 mpg overall which includes 25 miles of slow stop and go city driving. Like everyone else I had hoped for more--oh well.

The big negatives for the day included a squeak in the bus body somewhere around my left foot, a harmonic rattle at idle in the pull out step and one cupboard door that likes to pop open and swing back and forth. I can't STAND that sort of stuff so I'll spend whatever time it takes to make corrections. I suppose I could complain about the wind noise in the cabin which picks up at speeds over 50 mph. I can see where some of it is coming from but without changing some of the original body lines of the bus there is no cure. I doubt the wind noise was any bother to the original driver as the bus would have topped out at about 45 mph which is before the noise begins.

I had a near accident in the gas station when I was topping off the tank at the end of the day. I looked up from pumping fuel and saw an old man pushing his car away from the pumps by its steering wheel after it refused to start. Once his car crested the hump in the station pavement, it took off on its own in a direct collision course with my bus. I left my pump, jumped between the car and the bus and bent over the car's hood hooking my hands under its bumper and pushed. I was able to stop the car before it hit the bus but had others not joined in I wouldn't have been able to hang on for long. Somewhere in the skirmish I lost the front pocket on my T shirt along with a favorite pen I have carried for years--I hate it when that kind of stuff happens! :lol:

Upon my return this evening I was greeted by my wife who asked excitedly how the day went and who wanted me to know that she had already posted the pics she snapped this morning to my bus file--that was nice 8) . Jack
tango

Post by tango »

OUTSTANDING Jack!!! --- Congratulations on a relatively uneventful shakedown cruise! Except for that "favorite pen" thing, it sounds like it went very well indeed. Gotta be great to feel all that metal come to life after the enormous amount of work you have put into it. Can't wait to see the pix of her at the "coming out" party.

Well done my friend.

So...now that you have all that mobility and nothing better to do with your spare time...when can I expect you to show up here and help finish my rig?
somewhereinusa

Post by somewhereinusa »

You must have popped all the buttons off of your shirt after that adventure!!!!

WELL DONE.

Are you packed yet ready for the first real trip? :)
Dennis The Bus Dweller
Seasoned Nomadicista

Post by Dennis The Bus Dweller »

I'm lovin this little rig :D
Peace along the way
Dennis the bus dweller N.Y.
GoodClue

Post by GoodClue »

:thumbup: Congrats on the successful shake down ... Anxious to see the pics after the 14th of your completed project ... post pics of other rigs at the show also ... SoCal has some of the most creative souls I know ... and richest! :)
Many happy miles to you and yours ... keep us posted on what's next. :thumbup:
"ya gotta have art ..."
GoodClue

Post by GoodClue »

... didn't mean to sound snarky ... love your bus project! :thumbup: ... jealous of your engine and running gear, been longing for a similar set up for my 46 Chevy bus. In the 70s a theatrical troupe came to C.S. ... Fiddler On The Roof, Jim Talmage played Tevye ... I got a principle part and was invited to LA for PBS work ... mingled with the Talmage/Keaton/Hearst clans for a bit, left a vivid impression of SoCal. :shock: GoodClue
"ya gotta have art ..."
ol trunt

Post by ol trunt »

GC, what an experience that must have been. I've lived in SoCal most of my life and the only "star" I've met is Art Linkletter--some third cousin on my mothers side or something :lol: That you think you might have sounded "snarky" never crossed my mind. Actually, I was pleased that my project is of enough interest to warrant a reply--thanks.

I spent the day getting the bugs out of the trailer lights so I can tow my Morris. It didn't work when I first tried the light hook up so I fiddled with it and now it works! The problem is that I don't really know why??? :banghead:

I havent towed the Morris behind the bus yet, but a buddy has the day off on Wedensday and has agreed to sit behind the wheel of the Morris as I drag it around. My greatest fear is that the front wheels might not track properly on corners and if someone is in the Morris during the test run, he could steer as required while blowing the horn to get me to stop.

As to using the Isuzu driveline in your '46 you will have the same problem Tango ('46 Chevy with a Cummins) and I did. The front of the frame narrows from about 36" to about 28" just ahead of the fire wall and makes things very tight. I took the easy way out and used the entire Isuzu frame. Naturally that caused problems of it's own especially with the front sheet metal area. Tango is making his fit and with that great looking front end that was the best way he could have gone. I figured that there are only one or two people still alive who will know for certain that someone has monkeyed with the front end of the '35 :lol: Jack
tango

Post by tango »

Blah, blah, blah --- enough talk Jack! SO...how long before we get to see some sexy pix of this gal? Or do we have to hack into your computer like we did with all those other movie stars?
ol trunt

Post by ol trunt »

Now Tango. Patience is a virtue---except at bar closing time :lol: :lol: :lol: . I'm naming her after Hoyt Axton's tour bus, BLA. BLA. BLA. Jack

Here she is off on her 200 mile test run. That'll have to hold you 'til Sunday and her coming out party. Lets see, that will about be her ochenta ano I'd say. Image
tango

Post by tango »

Dang it Jack --- the color looks mighty similar to what I have narrowed my choice down to! A Toyota FJ color called Sandstorm! Course the fenders will be black as is fitting that era, but I have settled on John Deere "Blitz Black" for them. A really nice satin finish black (Hides a lot of ills compared to Gloss).

And...I'm going to hold my breath until you come across with some real pix...so there!

PS...where is that cool chrome bumper!? Up front?
Last edited by tango on Tue Sep 09, 2014 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ol trunt

Post by ol trunt »

Hey Tango. I know the FJ color you chose and it is very similar to what I used. Funny how that goes but the bright yellow I chose is a FJ color--sun fusion yellow from 2007. The body on the Toad and the body on the skoolie show a reverse color combination one from the other. Go figger. Jack
tango

Post by tango »

Sorry Jack --- I just corrected myself. The color is actually "Sandstorm". Lighter than the "Quicksand" I had been considering. But still eerily similar.
ol trunt

Post by ol trunt »

Hmm, we're probably long lost twins--I'm the good looking one----Jack
tango

Post by tango »

Maybe so...but Mom liked me best.

Heading over to pick up a sample of the "Sandstorm" at a local paint shop. I don't know about you, but this is at least the fifth or sixth color I am trying out. Almost as bad as my x-wife when we re-painted the dining room!