1935 Chevy school bus

Discussions about all things to do with buses, trucks, and the homes made within them.

Moderator: TMAX

Jerry Campbell

Re: 1935 Chevy school bus

Post by Jerry Campbell »

Wow, 50 mph over the grapevine, I would have been doing 35.
What a beautiful setup. a clean scene.
Jerry
ol trunt

Post by ol trunt »

Hello All. First, LC, I've been thinking about your question and I can think of a couple of things I'll probably change: there is a bit of unused and presently inaccessible space behind the bath towards the right rear corner of the bus. It is above floor height and below window height and could be reached by making a door in the outer body. It would be a good place to store messy stuff like oil and tools; I should vent the little dorm refrigerator to the outside. As it is, the cabinet the frig is in gets quite warm from the heat generated by the frig--I'm sure I'd get a longer battery run time between charges if the frig didn't have to run to overcome it's hot habitat; I should make some sort of snap in partition to cordon off the cockpit while we are driving. While the little under dash A/C unit works well in moderate temperatures, it can't keep up with cooling the entire bus when the outside temps get over 90 degrees F. I could use the "window" A/C on the road, but it would require running the genny and leaving it unattended and I think that to be unsafe.

Next, I spent the weekend at a huge auto parts swap meet and car show which is held at the Pomona Fairplex in Pomona, Ca.The swap meet takes place 4 or 5 times a year with the June meet being the largest (right before the Hot Rod Nationals next week). With hundreds of vendors and hundreds of vehicles and thousands of shoppers, it is a circus I try to avoid except as a last resort. I've unsuccessfully been looking for just the right weather seal for the back door of the bus and sure enough I found it at the swap meet. $25 to secure a spot to dry camp on, $50 worth of diesel to get there and back, $8 for 16' of weatherstrip and a night with very little sleep as people bring in their vehicles throughout the night with much revving and snorting of engines etc. Jack

The scene through my kitchen window at 5:00 AM when I finally gave up on sleeping :banghead: Image

Great looking '58 Chevy and '42 Ford panel.Image

Nice '56 Chevy convertible. Image

Now down to some serious eating to get the day going--waffles and home brewed Micky D coffee. too 8) Image
LuckyChow

Post by LuckyChow »

That looks like a great meet, although I'll bet getting sleep is hard. Glad you found the weather seal you need. Sometimes I look for hours or days for just the right thing and never find it. I've got some aluminum shoe moulding in my bus that I can't remember where I bought it. I've looked for it for months online. One of these days I'll come across it or the receipt hopefully.

Jack it doesn't sound like your change list is very long. That's good! I think we all have a do-over list after the first few trips. My latest involves installing more places to hang towels and wash cloths in the bathroom. I like going to stuff like this meet. It comes with more entertainment than just going to a campground. Great Pics, and I really like your kitchen cabinets.
Darryl
Smyrna GA
2000 Gillig Phantom
ol trunt

Post by ol trunt »

Hello All. As Maxwell Smart would say, "I missed it by that much" and I'm thrilled. I entered Honeysuckle Rose in a regional car show today at the local marina and she won "Reserve Best Of Show". Only "Best Of Show" could have been better! Not bad for a home built 80 yr old Skoolie among over 250 really beautiful professionally restored vehicles. Unbelievable. I know it isn't nice to brag but I just can't help myself. It is really nice to be recognized by your peers.

I hope this finds each of you having enjoyed as pleasant a Father's Day as I have. Jack
Lostranger

Post by Lostranger »

ol trunt wrote:I know it isn't nice to brag but I just can't help myself.
I'd have been disappointed to not have heard that bragging. Congratulation, Jack. We all know that you deserve it.

Jim
somewhereinusa

Post by somewhereinusa »

Congrats Jack :) :)
I hope this finds each of you having enjoyed as pleasant a Father's Day as I have.
You probably saw what I did, I'm going to repost here so the nomads can see.
ol trunt

Post by ol trunt »

Hello All. I'll try to regale you with the latest tales of Honeysuckle Rose: Honeysuckle rose, the little engineer, Clarence (Toad), Golden (Clarence's tent trailer) and I showed up at a charity fund raiser this weekend to promote (of all things) the understanding of the relationship between transportation past, present and future!?! Why not? They fed us! Anyway, a bunch of nice people shared their mostly 50's rv's and trailers. One fellow showed up in a 50's Greyhound bus--the hit of the gathering I might add. It was fun. over 2000 people paid ten bucks a pop to walk around and look at us. I must admit that it is about all I can do to behave in these kinds of situations. Some bejeweled matron asked me why I built the bus to which I answered "I just love to play with cars and they tell me it's OK as long as I keep taking my medication----why? Did someone say something? Hopefully, I'll be invited again next year!

Gotta have a little fun! Jack

PS I did get a few pics of some really great campers which I'll post once i get them sorted out.
LuckyChow

Post by LuckyChow »

I'm looking forward to seeing your photos. Was the bus a Scenic Cruiser?
Darryl
Smyrna GA
2000 Gillig Phantom
tango

Post by tango »

Hey Jack --- Congrats on the show Bud! Can't imagine why you didn't take it all. Been too long since I checked in here.
ol trunt

Post by ol trunt »

Hello All.Just a few pics from the past weekend. Jack

Clarence and Golden ready to head out. Image

Another view. Image

My show favorite. Image

A definite barn find. Image

Reo/Curtiss Aerocar. I can't seem to load the site address, but if you Google Curtiss you will find an interesting family biography of this very inventive group. Image

Permanent 5 th wheel hook up. Image

The trailer.Image

inside shots. Image

tango

Post by tango »

Thanks for the tour Jack --- that is some mighty fine sheetmetal work on that Reo rig.
Dennis The Bus Dweller
Seasoned Nomadicista

Post by Dennis The Bus Dweller »

Wow, Nuff said 8)
Peace along the way
Dennis the bus dweller N.Y.
ol trunt

Post by ol trunt »

Hello All. Guess I'll clutter up my post with some generator info. As you know, Honeysuckle Rose has a Toad named Clarence who has a camper trailer named Golden. Anyway, since I can't seem to leave anything alone for long, Golden has received some upgrades hence the generator.

Against my better judgement I bought a 2000 watt inverter generator on fleabay. It is a Powermate PM2000i and set me back a whole $329.

Much to my surprise, the genny will run the 6000 BTU air conditioner and the mini fridge in my bus at the same time on the econmy setting without breaking a sweat. The genny is pretty quiet and seems to meet the 56 dB rating advertised at least while on economy and not under load. The racket jumps nearly to 72 dB under load and going full tilt at 4800 RPM. Seems pretty good overall.

The genny is CARB compliant which probably accounts for having to fatten up the fuel mixture with the choke to keep it from surging as it runs. If it is too lean it will burn the valves and if it is too rich it will wash the cylinder and soon burn oil. Maybe I should take it to a smog station HA, HA.

I bought the genny to use on my motorcycle camper trailer which I have gone way over budget on what with A/C, microwave, mini fridge, inverter, battery, battery charger, and shore power wiring that I just can't afford a Yamaha or Honda genny. The generator is guaranteed for three years which hopefully speaks to it's quality--we'll see. Jack

Edit: I corrected the noise level info--seems I used the dB for the lawn mower instead of the genny. Hard to get good help when you do it yourself!
Last edited by ol trunt on Fri Aug 28, 2015 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
somewhereinusa

Post by somewhereinusa »

Thanks for the update.
I have gone way over budget
You have a budget? You keep track? I don't want to scare myself.
tango

Post by tango »

Powermate PM2000i...

motorcycle camper trailer...

As a great man once said...

"Without pictures, it didn't happen".