1935 Chevy school bus

Discussions about all things to do with buses, trucks, and the homes made within them.

Moderator: TMAX

ol trunt

Re: 1935 Chevy school bus

Post by ol trunt »

Hello All. Just about out of town when a California unlicenced, uninsured soccor mom 39 years of age ran into my legally parked toad. Cops took her soccor van. Repair estimate at the body shop $3640. It's the little chunk of wood taken out of the rear pillar that is causing the most trouble. Now I get to argue with my insurance company. Don't you just hate it when that happens? Jack

[/img]
Stealth Camper

Post by Stealth Camper »

Yes! What a dipstick. She was texting I bet.

I had a dipstick here run into the same place on my car back in January. Guy just not paying attention - head buried in his phone going through the stop sign!
ol trunt

Post by ol trunt »

Hello All. Just thought I'd say hello as I don't have much to report other than the repairs on my toad are done. I'm looking forward to a "camp out" at a local vintage travel trailer show next weekend. I'll share the happenings after. Jack
tango

Post by tango »

Howdy Jack --- glad to hear that your sweet little Toad is up for another road trip. We will all be waiting and watching for pix and commentary.
tango

Post by tango »

Well Dang! Been waitin' to see some trip pix Jack but nada!? Did you make it out or no?
stuartcnz
Site Admin

Post by stuartcnz »

Hey Jack, Your photos have all returned!
ol trunt

Post by ol trunt »

Unbelievable! Someone at Photobucket must have thrown the wrong switch--hope it lasts because without the pics my posts are more than a little dry. Thanks for the heads up Stuart. Jack :thumbup:

Just a quick edit: Though I have all the PB pics back I seem to have lost my more recent Postimage contributions. I'll give PI another try here now. If the pic posts, it should be of my low tech method for raising the garage door opener a couple of feet so my bus would clear the mechanism---

Image.
Stealth Camper

Post by Stealth Camper »

ol trunt wrote:Unbelievable! Someone at Photobucket must have thrown the wrong switch--hope it lasts because without the pics my posts are more than a little dry. Thanks for the heads up Stuart. Jack :thumbup:

Just a quick edit: Though I have all the PB pics back I seem to have lost my more recent Postimage contributions. I'll give PI another try here now. If the pic posts, it should be of my low tech method for raising the garage door opener a couple of feet so my bus would clear the mechanism---

I knew I was keeping all those old tires just for the right inspiration!!
ol trunt

Post by ol trunt »

Hello All. Way off topic here but----
This is not bus related exactly but it does give me a smig of hope for mankind and I'd like to share the good vibe. I'm a picky old SOB so I expected the worst. Wiffy and I decided to replace our 35 plus year old roof (Gotta keep the bus dry!) just because. Its 35 squares and a bit so a bunch of Bengamins. I did it myself last time and I can't stand up straight yet.

Well, I've got to hand it to the 9 guys who took on the job. They started at 0700 hours and were done by 1600 hours. Every scrap of trash was picked up and they even blew the dust off of my cars! They didn't even get testy over my constantly climbing up the ladder and watching! I couldn't be more pleased--PLEASED! I'll stop before I wet myself. Jack
tango

Post by tango »

How very excellent! There may be hope yet for humanity. Hope you got some with flame retardant built in. Better yet, hope you guys are a looooonnng ways from the flames that seem to be covering up Kaliphornia.
ol trunt

Post by ol trunt »

Hello All. We are just back from a little outting and it was a great success. We met up with a friend and his 1950 Chevy PU and just relaxed (and ate). The PU has a '71 Chevy 250 with a close ratio 4 spd stick and just purrs. The weather was cooperative with daytime temps in the low 80's with a light breeze and then 60 at night. While this campground is completely over run on all weekends, there were only 3 sites in use so very quiet. Jack

Image.

Image.

Image.
tango

Post by tango »

Yet another most excellent adventure. Even if a nice, quiet one. Weekdays definitely have advantages for trekkers. Thanks for sharing Jack!
ol trunt

Post by ol trunt »

Hello All. Just a quick update. In preparation for installing a Sterling Products (England) battery to battery charger I decided to upgrade my battery tray to a roll out version. Well, I managed to make an addition to the "nothing is ever simple" File.

I read stuff upside down just as easily as right side up--great for parties when I was a teen. Not so great now. I'm working on a roll out system for my battery drawer. I'm getting too old to be lugging golf cart batteries off a tray that sits well inside the body line. I picked up a pair of triple slide drawer slides rated for twice the load I intend to have. I had to weld brackets to the slides to make things work. The tray slides in and out at about a 40 degree angle. I drew up some plans and got to welding. I welded up the right side and it all worked just fine----so I welded up the left side the same way. Ah S*&#! The left side is the mirror image of the right but not when you read things upside down!?! The brackets were where I wanted them. just backwards so I decided to reverse the direction of the slide rather than risk destroying the whole thing with a grinder. I figured out how to get the slide apart. All those TINY ball bearings and two sizes to boot. Six hours later and completely cross eyed I got the slide back together--backwards--it works. Tomorrow I'll finish the installation. I won't draw any plans, I'll just build.
Jack
P.S. I looked long and hard to be sure that Lucas Electric wasn't anywhere in the picture--Home before dark and all that!
tango

Post by tango »

Mmmmmm...sounds like fun Jack! Can't wait to see some pix!
ol trunt

Post by ol trunt »

Hello All. I got the battery tray completed and tested today--it works. Just needs some paint now. Jack

Image.

Image.

Image.