1935 Chevy school bus

Discussions about all things to do with buses, trucks, and the homes made within them.

Moderator: TMAX

tango

Re: 1935 Chevy school bus

Post by tango »

Cable??? Goodness! Next thing you know you'll be wanting one of those new fangled cellulite telephone thingies!
Stealth Camper

Post by Stealth Camper »

Did you put an "over the air" antenna on the bus, too? Haven't seen one...

That with one of those RV style switching input boxes really helps going back and forth between cable and regular tv. Took me almost 4 years to find that in my trailer...slow learner...and has helped quite a bit, especially during storms when the cable (Dish Network) goes out from the rain.
ol trunt

Post by ol trunt »

Hey SC. I'm a complete radio, TV, and communications idiot. I don't have an over the air antenna or any antenna for that matter as There isn't a radio in my bus. I'm going to make myself try the new cable installation next time I camp at an RV park just to see if the thing works. I do, however, watch an occasional DVD ( I particularly enjoy Lucy in the Long, Long Trailer and revel at the sight of all the old cars etc from my childhood) and I use the same device to listen to CDs.

I am still somewhat educatable so if you could bring me up to speed I'd appreciate it!

Jack
Stealth Camper

Post by Stealth Camper »

ol trunt wrote:Hey SC. I'm a complete radio, TV, and communications idiot. I don't have an over the air antenna or any antenna for that matter as There isn't a radio in my bus. I'm going to make myself try the new cable installation next time I camp at an RV park just to see if the thing works. I do, however, watch an occasional DVD ( I particularly enjoy Lucy in the Long, Long Trailer and revel at the sight of all the old cars etc from my childhood) and I use the same device to listen to CDs.

I am still somewhat educatable so if you could bring me up to speed I'd appreciate it!

Jack

Ha! I have done a lot of electronics for a long time, but very carefully avoided tv and radio just so I wouldn't be the repair shop for all my friends and family. Because of that, I am looking around to try to figure this out right now - over the air is where I am headed so can cut the cord. I have been googling for build-it-myself over the air antennas and have found some I am gonna try, just because they look kinda cool. I will make changes I am sure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P69KuHum7wQ

Rabbit hole dujour;
Now, THIS one...!! I really didn't know how to take this when I first ran across him. He makes a good antenna - even if it is cheap parts. Chicken wire is ok...! I am thinking a "steampunk" approach is where I am going with it. Maybe some copper screen instead of chicken wire. Hardwood dowels for mounting tubes... I have a large piece of red cedar (cedar closet wood) that I may be able to use for the mounting frame!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FovEdu9BaWI&t=308s
And the improved model;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yavd9-rl5qQ

This is similar to the antenna switch box in my trailer - standard with most RV's. Switches between RV park cable and the standard rooftop RV antenna. RV antenna I have doesn't really work very well at all on the new digital signals. There may be something better - I tried a store bought antenna and it was carp.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/WINEGARD-RV-074 ... 1448402693
Stealth Camper

Post by Stealth Camper »

I am seeing a "place keeper" image instead of all your pics...
ol trunt

Post by ol trunt »

SC. photobucket is now holding us hostage for a $40 a month fee to post our pics on line. I am disinclined to pay the fee. We'll see. Jack :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown:
Stealth Camper

Post by Stealth Camper »

$40 a month?? That's crazy! Smugmug is much cheaper and a much better facility! Geez....
stuartcnz
Site Admin

Post by stuartcnz »

$40 per month? Wow! :evil:
The server that this forum is on only costs $12.50 per month, including backups. I also host a hubzilla instance and use it as my personal cloud server too.
Admittedly, I do have to watch how much space I use, because I am also hosting public websites. (the forum and Hubzilla) But I'm sure I wouldn't be using any more space on a photo hosting site.

Holding you hostage, Jack? Sounds more like attempted extortion.
ol trunt

Post by ol trunt »

Hey Stuart. I guess the photobucket ploy has just about wiped out photos on the Skoolie.net site. The site admin is talking about the possibility of a "one time fix" whatever that might mean. Do you have any suggestions? Pics are half the fun of this kind of site. I do, of course, have all my pics stored on my own computer as well as on pb so maybe there is a way to post from home??? Jack
stuartcnz
Site Admin

Post by stuartcnz »

Hi Jack, It is something I will have a think about. I will probably start another thread, and link to it.
stuartcnz
Site Admin

Post by stuartcnz »

My thoughts on photo hosting so far are here: viewtopic.php?f=17&t=3083
stuartcnz
Site Admin

Post by stuartcnz »

ol trunt wrote:I do, of course, have all my pics stored on my own computer as well as on pb so maybe there is a way to post from home??? Jack
The biggest issue with this is that home internet connections typically have what is called dynamic ip addresses (ie they change), where as you need to have a static ip address (doesn't change) to be able to connect. Have a look at the freedom box link, in the thread I linked to above, to see what they are doing to enable people to share stuff from home.
ol trunt

Post by ol trunt »

test

test continued

Not sure what I did but i've been able to post pics here without involving pb
Jack
somewhereinusa

Post by somewhereinusa »

Jack,
The pics are there, just pretty small, thumbnail size.
Stealth Camper

Post by Stealth Camper »

ol trunt wrote:test

test continued

Not sure what I did but i've been able to post pics here without involving pb
Jack

Don't know if that link would create a vulnerability in your account at skoolie - be careful...!