1935 Chevy school bus

Discussions about all things to do with buses, trucks, and the homes made within them.

Moderator: TMAX

tango

Re: 1935 Chevy school bus

Post by tango »

Hey Jack...Quick Question --- ages ago you mentioned using '95/'96 Dodge Caravan wiper motors. But nothing I've been able to locate looked anything like the compact, straight shaft unit that you posted a pic of. Am I off base or was what you shot/used something different?
ol trunt

Post by ol trunt »

Hey Tango, They are Dodge but not Caravan--just the B series full size van like the ones that were used to make S&S campers back in the day. Mine actually came from a full size S&S Winebago (sp) constructed on a Dodge 1 ton chassis. They are two speed motors without intermittent capability though I think that can be remedied with an aftermarket Gizmo. If it would help you I can pull the cover off mine and try for a model/serial number. Let me know. Jack

Edit: I just re read your post and was reminded of how you may have come up with the Caravan idea. When I turned the lift gate/drop gate on my '71 Suburban into a hydrolicly operated pop up hatch, I did use a Caravan wiper motor to add a rear window wiper to the hatch. It is a direct drive to the blade so wouldn't work very well on the bus unless you used more than one.

More edit: I went out to look at my wipers and remembered the rest of the story. I did use Caravan wiper cranks but they are driven by the wiper motor I spoke of. I chose the cranks because of their 3 bolt installation and long drive shafts. The long shafts and 3 mounts allowed me to get the bus body, windshield wiper blade and the motor linkages to play nice together. I was worried that the wiper motor mounted above the passenger side of the windshield would be a problem but once things were buttoned up it goes unnoticed. Hope this helps. Jack

{b} As usual I did a mock up. I added a third wiper blade because two blades left a large unwipped area in the center of the windshield. Image[/b]
tango

Post by tango »

Thanks Jack --- relying on my memory is a dangerous thing these days. I have very little room on the inside to mount motors, that's what interested me in one you showed a pic of long ago. Someone installed what looks to be a single motor Lucas cable system to drive two wipers at the bottom of the two windshields but they suck big time and have been tossed. I did find the original mounting holes which are centered on top of each windshield section. Just need to find a reasonable (2-speed) motor to fit each side.
All the aftermarket wipers I've seen are worse than laughable at almost any price. Just seems like SOMEONE would make a real set of decent universal wipers somewhere.

And if not too much trouble, I would love to see a pic from the inside of your "Tri-Wiper" system as well as get any make/model/serial numbers you might have.

Many thanks Bud.
ol trunt

Post by ol trunt »

Hey Tango--no trouble at all. I pulled the cover off my wiper motor and then remembered that the thing came from a burned out S&S :banghead: . The burned paper tag is therefore of no use. I did scratch up a couple of pics that show the inside view of the installed wiper motor showing finished, after insulation and before insulation. The latter refused to copy from phptof--er-bucket but can be seen on the other site under Everythung Else as "Breakfast/lunch/tea/dinner per Bansil" which was posted today. Jack

tango

Post by tango »

Thanks Jack --- I figured ours must be set up a bit differently. Mine pierce through a narrow section directly above the windshield. Above that is a closed area that juts out a couple of inches. Not deep enough to put anything in...just enough to be in the way. Maybe I can jury-rig something off a Peterbilt. One motor off to the side running two parallelogram wipers maybe? We'll see. Also talking to a company that builds systems for boats and such. They seem to have quite a few options in their bag of tricks.

Many thanks as always and a Happy New Year. Just watch out for the amateur drunks that always come out. They either need to practice more like I do or stay home!
ol trunt

Post by ol trunt »

Hello All. Just a quick question about catalytic heaters. The propane heater in my bus works fine as long as I am happy with on full or off. I'm not. Have any of you used a catalytic heater? If so, how was it? I gather the catalytic heaters heat up "things" but not the air directly. Does the air ever seem to get warm or do you have to be in a direct line with the heater to feel warmth? Jack
tango

Post by tango »

Well Dang it Jack! --- Been watching this to hear some responses myself but it appears to be a mystery subject. Maybe someone over on the Skoolie forum has had some experience with these puppies (?). All I know from reading up on Cats is that they are by far the most efficient means of heating using propane. "99 percent efficient" is what I keep seeing. A good endorsement but like you, I'd like to hear the rest of the story from someone who has actually lived with one for a while.
Lostranger

Post by Lostranger »

We lived with radiant propane through the early part of last winter. Nearly killed us. The problem is not heat but moisture. You can't believe how much water they put in the air. Took a wood stove to dry everything out. The problem is dramatically less in mild weather, but that's not what we were having.
tango

Post by tango »

Given that there are a number of very different types of "radiant" heaters...could you please name the type & brand you had the moisture issues with?
ol trunt

Post by ol trunt »

Hello All. I'm ready to do the high pressure hydrolic lines for the jacks but due to the holidays I can't move forward until everyone comes back to work on Monday. Besides, the weather is suppose to warm up a bit next week which will make working under the bus more fun.

A million years ago when I built the "sound proof" drawer for the generator, I didn't take the time to build a device with which to extract the genny from the drawer for service. I did, however, remember to install a threaded hole in the curved portion of the roof to serve as an attachment point for a gantry. I've now built the gantry and tried it out. It seems strong enough though I feel like I have to have my tongue just so in my cheek to make the thing work--and it does. I wanted something light weight and portable so I used 1/2" electrical conduit a 3/8" swivel and a couple of sticks as raw materials. Much as I hate China Freight, I did, therein, find a small (900#) strap winch which works OK for the purpose. I'll have a canvas tote made up for the pipes and store the winch in its original box. That way, should I need to service the genny on the road I'll be able to. I noticed that the top rod deflects a bit under load so I think I'll slip a bit ot thick wall tube in it to give it a bit more hair. Jack

The following pics show the gantry being used to remove the genny.Image

Genny lifted out of drawer and drawer closed. Image

Genny on floor for service. Image

It takes about five minutes to assemble or disassemble the gantry. The tiny tent stakes will serve to keep the bottom board from moving around. Image
Lostranger

Post by Lostranger »

Brand does not matter and style of combustion (open flame or catalytic mesh) does not matter. The fuel is converted to water vapor as it burns. Only thing that does matter is style of venting. A heater vented to the outside does not deposit all its water vapor inside the living space.
ol trunt

Post by ol trunt »

Thanks Jim. Tango and I will have to figure a way to vent a catalytic heater to the outside. I saw an ad on the internet somewhere for a vented catalytic heater but wasn't impressed with the amount of venting. There has to be a way. Jack
tango

Post by tango »

As the old military marching tune goes...

" I don't know but I been told"...

..the venting does not need to be direct. As long as there is adequate turnover the moisture in the air can be carried away via any, fairly small powered vent. I've been looking at computer fans in a couple of strategic locations. One pulling a little air in and another pushing it out. Small but positive exchange using very little power.

Any thoughts/experience in this area?
Stealth Camper

Post by Stealth Camper »

We used one of these when we camped in the 60's....
Edit - not sure that link works, but it was a Coleman catalytic heater that looked like a mushroom top.

I seem to remember it would only feel warm when you were "facing" it. Made it "rain" in the tent or camper, and had to keep a flap/door open to let out fumes. It had an aroma... I was not a fan - preferred the campfire, then hop into the sleeping bag!

https://images.search.yahoo.com/images/ ... rt=mozilla
ol trunt

Post by ol trunt »

Hey SC. Thanks for the input--thats sort of what I expected. Did the Coleman ever knock the chill from the air in the Tent? Jack