More Bus/Truck Books

Discussions about all things to do with buses, trucks, and the homes made within them.

Moderator: TMAX

Sharkey
Original Founder

More Bus/Truck Books

Post by Sharkey »

Last night I sent some enjoyable time over at Rob Gray's Wothahellizat Site, reading what looks to be his last posted travel journal. He mentioned an Australian book called Move House which appears to have at least a few "Down Under" house trucks and buses, as well as other moveable dwellings. Searching Google for the book title and author shows that it is available for purchase. Here's a pic of the cover:

Rob's own housetruck, Wothahellizat, is an ex-army firetruck:

On Rob's web site, there are pages of construction photographs and descriptions, as well as 33 pages of lengthy journals describing his travels around the continet of Australia. It's a great read, and I've looked forward to each diary entry for a couple of years now, they contain some stunning photography and many wry comment by the ever-dry Rob. Give it a look.

If anyone comes across a copy of Move House, I'd be interested in knowing how that looks as well.

There's also a book I've read but not posted a review of yet called Home on the Road by Roger White, the transportation historian at the Simthsonian Institution's Museum of American History.

This book takes the "motor home" from it's earliest days in the turn of the last century, and examines it all the way up to the late 1990's. The real focus is on the early days, though, when "car-camping" was a craze in the big cities, and all manner of vehicles were modified to allow use as portable accommodations. It's all very scholarly, but includes some knockout photographs of some truly ancient housetrucks, and even has some images and quotes from Rolling Homes.

I always knew that Housetrucking had a long and honorable history....
dadeo

Post by dadeo »

apperently Wothahellizat is for sale!! i want it. the price is $175,000, and i emagine thats $AU, which converts to $135,642 US.
thats a tidy sum, but wow what a ride!!
dadeo

Post by dadeo »

sorry, i forgot the link: http://www.robgray.com/index_wot.htm
motthediesel

bus/truck books -- pulp fiction category

Post by motthediesel »

Not up there with War & Peace, but --

When I was but a slip of a lad one of the first books I recall reading was an old copy of "Tom Swift and his House on Wheels". It was an edition probably dating from the twenties. It told the story of our hero Boy Inventor and the construction of a primordial "House Truck" and his adventures with it. As I am the consumate pack rat of all time and still live in my boyhood home, I should have it, but somehow it's gotten away on me :cry:
Perhaps an ebay search will bring up a moldy copy?

moT
motthediesel

Post by motthediesel »

Bus/Truck books, pulp fiction category:

Sure enough, good old ebay!

Truck's kind of bland, but you have to admit, the crew are sharp dressers! 8)

moT
dadeo

Post by dadeo »

nice, and i like the drapes.
D