Battery cables

Discussions about all things to do with buses, trucks, and the homes made within them.

Moderator: TMAX

somewhereinusa

Battery cables

Post by somewhereinusa »

I know there are some engineers here, so I've got a question.

Started assembling my new battery cables and ran into a problem. I bought 4/0 cable(clearly marked AWG 4/0) and 4/0 crimp on lugs. Started first end, and the lug is no where near big enough to go over the cable. I thought well darn, they sent the wrong lugs. Looked up the specs,4/0 cable end is supposed to be .548 mine measure .548. I looked up cable specs, 4/0 is supposed to be .460, that would fit very nicely. My cable measures, on average about .600. Since I wouldn't be making the cable less than 4/0 is it permissible to cut enough strands off to fit into the lug? I can do that but what a PIA for 20 ends. What other options?

On another electrical question I have a new ammeter and shunt. It says to put the shunt on the negative side. I have found a number of wiring diagrams with it on the positive side. Is there any reason I can't put it on the positive side?

Thanks,
Dick
rlaggren

Re: Battery cables

Post by rlaggren »

Check the "Documents" listed for this product, see if that sheds any light.

http://www.alliedelec.com/search/produc ... U=70092254

Personally I'd try hard to find the correct lugs. Maybe the local welding supply would have something. In my quick search I found lugs with 3/8" holes and 1/2" holes for connectors. I assume here that you will use either batteries with threaded studs or use a clamp connector that provides stud connections. If you want specifically a clamp connector with a crimp hole that fits your wire and google doesn't come through, you might give a call to bus maintenance yards and/or boat engine shops that service larger diesels. I think you'd need boats over 80' to find 4/0 battery cables. Haven't installed clamp connectors so don't know how that would work.

Rufus
Stealth Camper

Re: Battery cables

Post by Stealth Camper »

Don't cut the strands!! Either bigger lugs or smaller wire. I would go with the bigger lugs, 'cause the more copper the better....and you already have the wire!