Camper project stalled

Discussions about all things to do with buses, trucks, and the homes made within them.

Moderator: TMAX

Vegimog

Camper project stalled

Post by Vegimog »

Just joined the forum to get some inspiration on my camper. So far I've built the frame, legs and exterior. I need to finish the door and the inside. Maybe I'll just get a trailer. Anyway Sharkey, your site keeps getting more interesting all the time...
Kelly
I reject your reality and substitute my own.
Sharkey
Original Founder

Post by Sharkey »

Don't give up. After almost ten years, I feel like my Crown project is in suspended animation sometimes. Then I get a burst of energy and do some work on it and realize that it's not as far from being done as I think it is.

I'm getting some powerful motivation to work on it to make sure that I can get moved in before next winter. This Housetruck (30 years living inside in April) is getting too far gone. This week I found my mattress and bed clothes wet from rain water coming in from the skylight over the bed. The skylight leaking is no big surprise, it's leaked since the day I installed it. Usually, the drops fall on a towel I keep on the bedspread. Now it seems that the water is getting behind the cedar on the roof of the loft, making the turn to running down behind the front wall and exiting at the bottom of the front window to run down the panelling on the inside of the loft.

Yesterday, it didn't rain all day, but the water kept on flowing, so I get the idea that the fiberglass insulation inside the wall and roof is saturated and seeping. I haven't pulled up the mattress to see what's going on under there, but I'm thinking I'll find more water.

Yuck. Time to get the bus in condition to move in. The hard part (raising the roof, boosting the floor, doors, windows, insulation, plumbing) is all done, the remainder is wiring and finish work. Time for a kick in the ass to get back to work on it and finish it up.

You'll discover new energy for your project if it's the right thing for you to be doing. How much use is a trailer behind a Unimog offroad, anyway?