On the Road

Discussions about all things to do with buses, trucks, and the homes made within them.

Moderator: TMAX

royalfamily

On the Road

Post by royalfamily »

Greetings, y'all! I posted a while ago about a housebus and received a lot of good advice. We are about to hit the road with our bus (you can see photos on my blog Glitter and Grit here: http://glitterandgritgirl.com/category/our-house-bus/) and have been stationary for nearly two years We have a lot of questions about how to get the bus ready for the big trip!

Things that come up for us:
:: propane storage (can you store the propane under the bus?, do you worry about heat near the propane?, do you leave your propane hooked up while you drive or unhook it?, etc.)
:: under bus storage (did you make your own storage under bins/cabinets/drawers, buy them?)
:: cat travelers on a housebus
:: pairing down and organizing all items owned to totally fit into the bus for maximized efficiency
:: bathroom ideas (we use a 5 gallon composting toilet and we have a hot water heater that will work if we are hooked up to water, but also have a 60 gallon tank under the bus)

What tips and tricks do you have for your first adventure on the road with a housebus/housetruck? What advice do you have? We welcome all feedback and words of wisdom from those well versed in the topic!

Thank you,
the Waylands
Dusty

Re: On the Road

Post by Dusty »

You have made some great strides in your journey :)

Gas, A vented locker is good , heat is not . I leave the gas fridge running all the time , some will say don't do it . Your call.

Lots of lockers are great , just make them to suit the space you have.

The cat will have a mind of its own as to when it's ready to leave :)

Look at what you need , rather than what you can fit in the space . Then decide if you REALLY need it.

Bathroom , what ever works for you.

Tips ?

Choose your over night park up with care, look at the neighbors, the trash , the skid marks , the isolation , the cell ph coverage, how visible you are to the public, .

Any time I have had a problem , it's been because I parked in too public a place and gave bored teens something to harass.

Always park over night with nothing on the ground and facing the exit , ready to drive away with no notice . (in over 20yrs, I have only had to leave once for my own safety, but it was worth it on that night to be facing the exit)

Have fun :)
58 Bedford House
royalfamily

Re: On the Road

Post by royalfamily »

Thank you so much, Dusty! Your experience is greatly appreciated.