Hitch?

Discussions about all things to do with buses, trucks, and the homes made within them.

Moderator: TMAX

somewhereinusa

Hitch?

Post by somewhereinusa »

Before I weld this together. Is the hitch too close to the rear of bus?

I'll be pulling this.

Stealth Camper

Re: Hitch?

Post by Stealth Camper »

Looks close to me. Take some measurements as if the hitch is in a very sharp turn. Will the Jeep touch the bus? May be worth a half sheet of plywood to 'build' a template that could drop onto the hitch ball.
ol trunt

Post by ol trunt »

Hey Somewhere, I had the same question about my TOAD so I hooked it up to a friends box truck which has a hitch up close like yours ( my tow bar is almost exactly like yours). I rode in the TOAD while my friend draged it around some tight corners and in and out of some steep deiveway aprins. Other than my feeling of uneasyness at seeing the steering wheel spinning around on its own, I didn't detect any problems. As others have said, don't back up with 4 on the floor. If the tow bar is even slightly off center, despite being very stout, it will fold up like a pipe cleaner. You might learn more on the hitch mfg.sites--just a thought. Jack
Mark R. Obtinario
Seasoned Nomadicista

Post by Mark R. Obtinario »

That doesn't look too short.

The only real concern is to make sure you are secure to the frame of the bus and not just the bumper. The bumper is pretty stout but at the end of the day it is only stamped steel.