Should I be concerned?

Discussions about all things to do with buses, trucks, and the homes made within them.

Moderator: TMAX

somewhereinusa

Should I be concerned?

Post by somewhereinusa »

Getting ready for our first camping trip. :D It's only over night, but I just wanted to go somewhere. I found a small leak at the hose between the water pump and distribution manifold. I tightened the clamps and the leak stopped. As you can see the hose is bulging quite a bit. It is supposed to have a working pressure of 200 PSI. and my pump is supposed to be 75 PSI. Although, I haven't checked it, it's no where near 200. Should I be concerned?

Thanks,
Dick
Stealth Camper

Re: Should I be concerned?

Post by Stealth Camper »

Oh, yeah.... been there, done that, got the t-shirt.

I guess I would put a gauge in the line somewhere just to be sure. Even bad hose with that fiber reinforcement shouldn't be bulged that much in fail mode. Unless it is very old tubing...?

Or is that a larger tube that you just clamped down smaller to fit? That pressure cutoff switch would stop it at low pressure. (Just rambling to myself here while typing....)
roach711

Post by roach711 »

Replace that turkey! Checking the line pressure is a real good idea.
ol trunt

Post by ol trunt »

Nah, don't worry, be happy--it probably won't blow 'till you get home. Besides, wify no doubt needs something new to lord over you. :lol: Just kiddin'. You are lucky you spoted that 'cause its gona blow. Have a great camp out--I'm so jealous. Jack
Mark R. Obtinario
Seasoned Nomadicista

Post by Mark R. Obtinario »

I would be concerned but not concerned enough to swap things out right now.

I would make sure I had an extra length of hose just in case the worst happens.

And until that does, I would just go out and have some fun.
somewhereinusa

Post by somewhereinusa »

I guess I was thinking along the lines of has anyone else had this problem, and what can I use so that it doesn't happen again. The pump manufacturer says to use a flexible connection between both the inlet and outlet and any hard line. The pump comes with hose barb fittings. I have no idea how hot it's been, how ever hot it's been in the basement I wouldn't think much over 150 in Indiana. This and any 1/2 inch hose I have been able to find at any " hardware, farm supply, big box home store" are rated for 200 psi at 70 degrees. Agreed, it's an easy fix, I just don't want to have to do it again.
Stealth Camper

Post by Stealth Camper »

somewhereinusa wrote:I guess I was thinking along the lines of has anyone else had this problem, and what can I use so that it doesn't happen again. The pump manufacturer says to use a flexible connection between both the inlet and outlet and any hard line. The pump comes with hose barb fittings. I have no idea how hot it's been, how ever hot it's been in the basement I wouldn't think much over 150 in Indiana. This and any 1/2 inch hose I have been able to find at any " hardware, farm supply, big box home store" are rated for 200 psi at 70 degrees. Agreed, it's an easy fix, I just don't want to have to do it again.
I always use loops for that kind of thing - and not too tight a loop, so no kinks develop. Maybe about a 6" diameter loop for what I see there...? Or a little bigger, maybe? Uses more hose, but get some vibration damping and seems to me like it is easier to make the connections most of the time. Lets the water take a little roller coaster ride before getting to the faucet.