Tiny house on a trailer

Discussions about all things to do with buses, trucks, and the homes made within them.

Moderator: TMAX

ol trunt

Re: Tiny house on a trailer

Post by ol trunt »

Hello All and Happy New Year! We were able to spend Christmas at a local camp ground and had a fine time.. We hope not to be quite so cabin bound this year and are looking forward to a few longer and more distant campouts. Jack
Stealth Camper

Post by Stealth Camper »

ol trunt wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 4:10 am Hello All and Happy New Year! We were able to spend Christmas at a local camp ground and had a fine time.. We hope not to be quite so cabin bound this year and are looking forward to a few longer and more distant campouts. Jack

Yay! Happy New Year!! We are hoping to get out more, too! Last year was an even worse sh$t show than the previous two. So we specifically avoided eating black eyed peas on New Years Day to see if maybe that helps... ?
Stealth Camper

Post by Stealth Camper »

Well, in my last post I said we were not gonna eat black eyed peas to see if had a better year. So far it hasn't worked. Two more siblings have passed and another total crop failure at the farm. Good thing we have a pittance of Social Security or we would be in bigger trouble.

I guess I need to post some stuff under an appropriate topic heading... will try to do that soon!

Pax!
Stealthy
Dennis The Bus Dweller
Seasoned Nomadicista

Post by Dennis The Bus Dweller »

Hey there Stealthy

Happy New year to you and yours. If it makes you feel any better the entire country is struggling pretty mush these day including my but were on the right side of the grass ourselves so there is still hope. I lost 2 siblings this past year as well. I'm close to selling some land un in Connor Maine and then i'm headed south to Tennessee for the final run. I'm looking forward to it. I'm gonna get me a dawg or two and a hand full of chickens and i'm goin in the woods and i'm not comin for a good long while };o)

be well
DTBD };O)
Peace along the way
Dennis the bus dweller N.Y.
Stealth Camper

Post by Stealth Camper »

Dennis The Bus Dweller wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 5:25 am Hey there Stealthy

Happy New year to you and yours. If it makes you feel any better the entire country is struggling pretty mush these day including my but were on the right side of the grass ourselves so there is still hope. I lost 2 siblings this past year as well. I'm close to selling some land un in Connor Maine and then i'm headed south to Tennessee for the final run. I'm looking forward to it. I'm gonna get me a dawg or two and a hand full of chickens and i'm goin in the woods and i'm not comin for a good long while };o)

be well
DTBD };O)
Happy New Years to you! Good to hear from you!

We are doing ok - mostly I just like to complain! My goal has always been to become a cantankerous old fart! Family tells me I achieved that goal magnificently, many years ago!

What part of TN are you looking at?

Tennessee is where we are heading middle of this month, where the remaining family lives. My wife owns some of the old family homestead and I am doing the probate stuff for one of the sisters who left us last year. With a house that is located in a beautiful place with a mountain that goes up about 1,100 ft about 20 feet behind the house! Very steep! So pretty!! If I ever get a place to keep pics, will post some here!

We will never go there to live, though. Even though my family was there for a few decades - even got a road named after us, 100 years ago, and hers has been there for about 175 yrs, we are still "outsiders" pretty much since have been gone a long time, and that means ya never fit in very well.

There is a wide variety of magnificent nature running around the neighborhood! A bear lived up behind the house until just about two years ago. Various porch hounds (city dogs people dropped off in the country) would go chasing it once in a while and always got chewed up pretty good. Several never made it back. There are two mountain lions - one behind the house and the second across the road and down about 1 mile. Plus a really BIG black Timber Rattlesnake lives under one of the sister's house, which is obviously why she doesn't have a mouse or rat issue!

Have had a few friends and acquaintances move there in the last 10 years. Not sure exactly why - it is beautiful, but you can find beauty in a lot of places! One of our kids moved there too, but now calls it Snot County...hates every minute of it.

But then one friend also moved to Maine and I know I would never want the winters there...

Guess we will just keep our home base here in Okrahoma and travel as much as we can in the meantime.

Pax,
Stealth
Stealth Camper

Post by Stealth Camper »

Dennis The Bus Dweller wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 5:25 am Hey there Stealthy

be well
DTBD };O)

As for the dogs.... just get a place down a narrow road about 6 miles from town and you will have a dawg pretty quick! Daughter ended up with one in Sept from there that showed up while there for a visit!
Dennis The Bus Dweller
Seasoned Nomadicista

I'm looking in an area called Wilder up in the Cumberland plateau. No restriction and low taxes. This is mt tract of land up in Connor Maine. https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/LOT- ... t9u1_34dhh

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hJ6YBjkUxUM
Peace along the way
Stealth Camper

Post by Stealth Camper »

Dennis The Bus Dweller wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 12:30 pm I'm looking in an area called Wilder up in the Cumberland plateau. No restriction and low taxes. This is mt tract of land up in Connor Maine. https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/LOT- ... t9u1_34dhh

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hJ6YBjkUxUM
Maine is so pretty! Would love to spend 3 or 4 months a year there! Summer/fall.

Taxes are relative - we pay about $250 a year for 11 acres bare land a few miles east of Wilder area! Compared to our $52 a year for the 20 acre farm we are putting together in OK. Probably cheap compared to northeast, but way higher than our Okie cost. But don't take this as recommendation to go to OK, either! Taxes are not the only thing to consider.

Wilder is a few miles west of Grimsley on 127 - whole area is gorgeous! Big South Fork is a massively underrated jewel in the US Park system! We are near BSF - that is where our bears came from about 35 years ago and set up shop near us. And Rugby is cool little place to visit to see 1880's life...sort of.

We have not been to Wilder, but go thru Grimsley regularly...usually 2 or 3 times a year for the last 43 years! We travel I-40 east, then get off at Monterrey over to Clarkrange, then north to Allardt - cuts a couple hours off our trip at the expense of some car-sickness. 127 is SO much better now they have straightened and widened it some! Except south of Clarkrange - last time we went thru there it took quite a while (2021) to get up to Clarkrange. All this time, we have only made it to Jamestown one time, and I have always wanted to go back to see Alvin York's house! Niece and nephew have a place and mother there but they always come east to visit when we are in the area, so just don't get there.

About 3 mi north of the Wilder Rd turnoff, there is a place called Lane Auto Salvage. There are many old, 40's and 50's cars there if you are into old rusty steel like I am! If you look at Google Earth street view you can see it. Over the years it has been decimated! There were several times that many cars 10 years ago, and behind that tree line there were many, many more, some stacked on top of others.

Health care - this is a biggie in that area - biggie problem! The closest thing to a hospital is going to be Oak Ridge and Knoxville area. Tennova system is probably the best - we have spent WAY too much time at Tennova Turkey Creek in the last 3-4 years! UT is pretty good too - they have partnered with Tennova on some things in the past. EVERY SINGLE FACILITY outside of those, in the rural areas is at BEST a band-aid station! And sometimes (usually) worse! The true horror stories from a few years ago seem to have subsided somewhat.

Meth is a huge problem all thru the rural areas - it's not that there is that large a number doing it, but their impact is kinda high! We got the feeling that New Hampshire has a lot of those same problems when we were there a few years ago!

Shopping - stuck with trip to either Cookeville or Crossville. They have had stuff I needed when could not find it elsewhere - last spring, in particular, a septic lift pump went out that was available in Cookeville (2 hours) and nowhere else short of a trip to Louisville, KY, a 5 hour drive! Whichever one is easiest for you! For "quick" grocery trip, go up to Allardt and right at the corner of 52 and 296 is a little store called Burnett's Superette. Small but have been able to find necessities when needed to. Probably 5 years ago, they had a sale on meat and we got some pretty good Rib-eye steaks for $4.99 a lb. Occasional sales...

Bottom line - it borders on a love/hate relationship with the area. It is so beautiful that it "hurts". We love those mountains! And when the bad things intrude into your consciousness, they can be bad! Probably like everywhere...? You get pretty much all the scenery/environment of the Smokey's/Pigeon Forge area without the population and traffic! And yeah, there ARE still areas where you do not want to go! But much less than in the somewhat recent past. If your neighbors want to get to know you, great! If not, stay away! Or if you are reclusive, they will leave you alone, too, generally. Remember Steve Earle? Copperhead Road... Still plenty of 'shine but also everything else you might want.

Well, okay. I will stop now! Let me know when you get there and maybe can shout hi at you as we drive east sometime!
Dennis The Bus Dweller
Seasoned Nomadicista

Lots of good useful info there. It's pretty much the same when ya move into an area when being an outsider but I'll make the best of i'm sure. It will be a while before I build but I have my rig and a 20' tipi so I'll be good to for a while.
Peace along the way
Stealth Camper

Post by Stealth Camper »

Dennis The Bus Dweller wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 9:40 am Lots of good useful info there. It's pretty much the same when ya move into an area when being an outsider but I'll make the best of i'm sure. It will be a while before I build but I have my rig and a 20' tipi so I'll be good to for a while.

Yep! Like everywhere! Healthcare is the biggest concern we have now - trying to stay fairly close to medical even though we don't really have any critical issues right now. Everything else is workable.

I bet you have made some visits and spent some time there, but do you know when you are getting to move?
Dennis The Bus Dweller
Seasoned Nomadicista

The second the Maine land sells I'm headed that way. I'll have to come back to NY a couple of times to settle some things and pickup truck, thailers and equipment but I'm hoping to there by next fall.
Peace along the way
Stealth Camper

Post by Stealth Camper »

Dennis The Bus Dweller wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 3:11 pm The second the Maine land sells I'm headed that way. I'll have to come back to NY a couple of times to settle some things and pickup truck, thailers and equipment but I'm hoping to there by next fall.

Heading to east TN this Sunday again. Not a fan of the storms and -5 degree weather we are going into, but have a couple extra days to get there this time! I will wave as we go by Grimsley!
Stealth Camper

Post by Stealth Camper »

Dennis The Bus Dweller wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 3:11 pm The second the Maine land sells I'm headed that way. I'll have to come back to NY a couple of times to settle some things and pickup truck, thailers and equipment but I'm hoping to there by next fall.

Got turned back in the middle of Arkansas! Moderate snow for most of the day with 2-3" accumulations, then stopped near Little Rock and came out to go again and it was a blizzard! Stopped for night and by Mon morning, Memphis had over 7" snow and counting. Nashville got about 9", and Knoxville was at 12". Family area, east of Allardt, got 6-8" and still falling when the last measurement was taken! In town wasn't quite as much. Waiting for a warm up and will try again.

Did you get some of that storm that went over the northeast?
Dennis The Bus Dweller
Seasoned Nomadicista

No real snow on this end. I got a couple of offers on my Maine property but still to low. I'm hopping soon someone will ring the minimum 46k bell :P
Peace along the way
Stealth Camper

Post by Stealth Camper »

Dennis The Bus Dweller wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 11:51 am No real snow on this end. I got a couple of offers on my Maine property but still to low. I'm hopping soon someone will ring the minimum 46k bell :P

What is the Tree Growth program? Limitations on what you can do?? Looks like some decent logs there!

Very cold here with a pretty good size ice storm last week. Yesterday it got to 58 and today we had 70! Just kinda walked around in a daze, relaxing and enjoying the warmth! Tomorrow I will do some work. Maybe.