Tiny house on a trailer

Discussions about all things to do with buses, trucks, and the homes made within them.

Moderator: TMAX

Dennis The Bus Dweller
Seasoned Nomadicista

Re: Tiny house on a trailer

Post by Dennis The Bus Dweller »

It's on 2/7000 lb axels including trailer, lumber, windows, fridgen stove and everthing needed to finish its weighing in just over 8500 lb's
Last edited by Dennis The Bus Dweller on Sun Nov 09, 2014 2:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Peace along the way
Dennis the bus dweller N.Y.
Dennis The Bus Dweller
Seasoned Nomadicista

Also there's no real extra lumber in the loft except a few 2x4's for the walls. The front loft cheek walls will catch some wind but well see 8) there's 500 lb's of batteries that will be in front of the axels and the kitchen and bath is in front of the axels so again, we'll see. I may drag it down the run in the next couple of weeks and see how it feels.
Last edited by Dennis The Bus Dweller on Sun Nov 09, 2014 3:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Peace along the way
Mark R. Obtinario
Seasoned Nomadicista

Post by Mark R. Obtinario »

Two 7K axles should be big enough to carry that load.

Even with the batteries and plumbingI up front I would think the extra frontal area at the back of the trailer is going to cause bad trailer manners.

From your posts I get the impression you don't intend to be towing the tiny house on a trailer across the country on a regular basis. Occasional tows with a tow vehicle large enough to handle the load shouldn't be a problem.
Dennis The Bus Dweller
Seasoned Nomadicista

I figure I have about 800 lb's of equipment up in the front 3rd without the interior finish materials and if necessary I still have room in the total weight to add to the front in some way. I'll taker for a spin soon and see how it handles as is then i'll know more. I did get some more work done yesterday and its starting to take shape 8)

Peace along the way
Lostranger

Post by Lostranger »

She's a beauty, Dennis. You say you're not good with wrenches — not so sure I agree — but you do a fabulous job with construction materials. I assume that's what you do for a living. I've read lots of tiny house builds, but most are shacks compared to yours.

I figured out early in my research that tiny houses are not intended for much travel. Sounds like that's exactly what you want. We, on the other hand, are looking for more and easier mobility, and that's why we went with a better bus. I love it when people think through their own needs/wants and respond with appropriate action. So many in our culture merely follow the herd.

You, my friend, do not.

Jim
Dennis The Bus Dweller
Seasoned Nomadicista

Peace along the way
Dennis The Bus Dweller
Seasoned Nomadicista

I'm thinking about using this 50 gallon stock pot for a shower stall. It's a little narrow but if I make the shower curtin ring over 3' it may work. I was thinking I may see if I can get the local hot rod guy to paint logs and flames around it for fun :D
Peace along the way
GoodClue

Post by GoodClue »

Nice Dennis ... cannibal stew for dinner :)
Maybe two or more tiny homes connected with modular green house panels ... :?: ... something to think about ... 8)
"ya gotta have art ..."
Dennis The Bus Dweller
Seasoned Nomadicista

I made up this freeze board to as a break for starting the shingles. First the freeze board then the drip cap then the tar paper then shingles.
Peace along the way
GoodClue

Post by GoodClue »

... speaking of "Freezes" ... how's things Dennis? ... snowed in, or do you get that lake effect snow? :?:
"ya gotta have art ..."
GoodClue

Post by GoodClue »

... for both Dennis and Stuart ... this tiny house is in New Zealand ...

http://www.treehugger.com/tiny-houses/l ... house.html

Dennis ... food for thought for future tiny houses on trailers ...
"ya gotta have art ..."
Dennis The Bus Dweller
Seasoned Nomadicista

Hi Doug and others

No snow on this end yet. I'm likin the little staircase. I'm waiting to find the right idea for mine. I've seen quite a few in the last couple of years but not quite the right one yet
Peace along the way
Stealth Camper

Post by Stealth Camper »

Small detour.... I may have read it in the past posts, but forgot and didn't see it with a quick scan of last two pages.... are you putting solar on the roof?

Also, to push the detour a little further - do you have any recommendations for solar panels among the current available bunch of panels? I am getting ready to buy a handful and it is a bewildering array of companies and equipment....
Dennis The Bus Dweller
Seasoned Nomadicista

Hi there Stealthy, give these folks a call, http://sunelec.com/ the have great prices and sell all the brands. im using 4/225 watt sharp panels because I have them left over from a job
Peace along the way
Stealth Camper

Post by Stealth Camper »

Dennis The Bus Dweller wrote:Hi there Stealthy, give these folks a call, http://sunelec.com/ the have great prices and sell all the brands. im using 4/225 watt sharp panels because I have them left over from a job

Thanks!! I think asking for the "best" is probably the wrong question - have you ever had a panel(s) you worked with fail electrically? By something other than impact - hail, tree limbs, anything mechanical like that- on a job? (I am betting/hoping that it is too soon to tell...)

I bit off what may be more than I can chew for a project - 20 acres that needs house, barn, septic, driveway, gardens, everything.... so am watching this closely - may 'copy' your project here to get a short term (couple years) living situation. SWMBO won't put up with longer than that....
Last edited by Stealth Camper on Tue Dec 09, 2014 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.